Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is it possible to adjust bandwidth priority for background processes?

OP Razor512

23rd February 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

73 posts
While doing some throughput testing, I noticed that if a throughput benchmarking (or pretty much any bandwidth intensive app, is sent to the background (e.g., by pressing the home button, or switching to another app. Even though the CPU usage is not impacted much, the background application will have a drop of around 6mbit/s of throughput while it running in the background, for example, dropping from 22mbit/s to about 16mbit/s

I was wondering, is there a way to change this behavior for specific applications, for example, preventing dice player from losing bandwidth priority.

While things still perform pretty well, I do run into issues if the primary application starts transferring a lot of data, even with the CPU usage not being 100%, the stream stop for a little while (happens with applications such as dice player, stickit, and media house, but not with locally stored content.

While this may be the normal behavior to ensure the primary application runs its best, it would be great to sometimes bypass it in order to keep the stream running smooth, even if I am browsing the web at the same time on the tablet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread