Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] MacBook (Air and Pro) kills USB File Transfer on my Note Pro 12.2

OP zaptoons

23rd February 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 69

225 posts
More
QUESTION: is there anyone else using a Note 12.2 with an rMBP or MacBook Air, (or any 2012-or newer model Apple MacBook) and the USB connection is fine?

I have a strange issue with my 12.2- I'm trying to get some insight if it's just mine, or can anyone else confirm this one way or another?

When I attach via USB to my 12.2 ONLY on an Apple MacBook (I can replicate it either with my 15" rMBP running Mavericks or a 13" Air running Mountain Lion) the MacBooks completely disable USB file transfer on the device- as in for good, including with any other USB connection on any other computer- until I do a factory reset.

File Transfer works perfectly on all of my PC's running Windows, and on a Hackintosh running Mavericks and my genuine MacPro running Mountain Lion.

It's only the MacBooks that kill the USB connection every time. After it happens, no other device will connect via USB.

It's not a driver issue or anything else- my MacBooks connect perfectly to my Galaxy S3, Note 2 and Note 3 using Android File Transfer. (And other non-Samsung Android devices I own). But the 12.2's connection dies every time, until a factory reset.

I'm thinking this is probably just an issue with my tablet, but would be nice to have some insight before I return it for a replacement. Also I want to make sure I don't just get the same problem happening again, if it's somehow a Apple/MacBook problem not the Note Pro.

Anyone have any ideas why just the MacBook USB ports (and two different OS's) would kill the Galaxy Note Pro? Like maybe they use a different type of USB 3.0 connection or something?
23rd February 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

225 posts
More
Update: I was exploring the limitations of this issue- it only happens with the original dual Samsung USB 3.0 cable and the MacBooks. A standard microUSB cable and it connects fine and doesn't kill the USB connection.

Again, same Samsung USB 3.0 cable and any other device, no problem. Weird problem.
23rd February 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #3  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 201

869 posts
I also could not use the stock USB 3.0 cable on my rMBP.

I'm guessing it's a USB 3.0 driver issue since even through a VMW Fusion virtual machine I could not get a good connection.

Thanks for the advice on the use of a USB 2.0 cable. It's not as fast obviously but works in a pinch.
24th February 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

I also could not use the stock USB 3.0 cable on my rMBP.

I'm guessing it's a USB 3.0 driver issue since even through a VMW Fusion virtual machine I could not get a good connection.

Thanks for the advice on the use of a USB 2.0 cable. It's not as fast obviously but works in a pinch.

This has to be a hardware issue with the Note Pro.

Do you get the same problem? That connecting to your Macbook completely disables USB connections until you do a factory reset? (I'd love to know if there's a better way to fix the USB connectivity other than a factory reset. Nothing in the developer options does it that I know of.)

For now I think I'm still going to exchange for another and see if it's just a glitch with mine that the USB connection is completely killed. If it's true of all Note Pros then it's something Samsung needs to fix.
24th February 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #5  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii

869 posts
Not sure what you mean by completely disabling USB connections.

Host mode for external devices? I haven't done that with the tab yet since I don't have an adapter for it.

Or are you talking about only having one shot at connecting the tablet to my rMBP? I'd say no, I can plug and unplug repeatedly to my heart's content using a standard microUSB cable and copy files to/from the device without rebooting let alone factory resetting it.
24th February 2014, 03:34 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

225 posts
More
Cloud Search
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

Not sure what you mean by completely disabling USB connections.

Host mode for external devices? I haven't done that with the tab yet since I don't have an adapter for it.

Or are you talking about only having one shot at connecting the tablet to my rMBP? I'd say no, I can plug and unplug repeatedly to my heart's content using a standard microUSB cable and copy files to/from the device without rebooting let alone factory resetting it.

Ah so clearly this is just my tablet.

Yes, I mean I get one shot to plug into either Macbook (using the Samsung USB 3 cable) and thereafter no USB transfer connection of any sort is possible. The tablet simply doesn't show up on anything. Not even with the standard micro USB cable, and not with any other computer. I have to do a reset to get USB transfer back. If I use the Samsung cable (or the same cable from my Note 3 so it's not the cable itself) with any other computer I own other than the MacBooks, everything is fine. Standard micro USB with anything including MacBooks is fine.

If I'm understanding you right, your tablet won't connect via the Samsung cable to your Macbook but at least it doesn't completely kill the USB transfer just by connecting it.

Any rate I'm taking it back in the morning, and bringing my rMBP to check how the replacement works.
24th February 2014, 04:01 AM   |  #7  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii

869 posts
Yep, just the stock cable that came with it doesnt work with my rMBP. At no time have I needed to do a factory reset.

I'm not on Mavericks yet, if that makes any difference or not I don't know.

Good idea to bring the computer in.

Good luck!
24th February 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #8  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 52

126 posts
The Note Pro 12.2 doesn't connect well with my 15" Retina MacBook Pro either via USB 3.0 cable. The tablet says "connected via USB 3.0" but Android File Transfer (what a piece of junk) doesn't see it. I haven't had to factory reset (which means wipe out) the tablet though. At worst, a reboot gets the tablet working with a USB 2.0 cable. With both 3.0 and 2.0 cable, the tablet shows the "x" through the battery indicating the Mac isn't outputting enough juice to charge, even over USB 3.0. Using a USB hub in general works better than direct connection to the Mac.
25th February 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

225 posts
More
Thanks pdagal. Does seem to be an issue with Macs and USB 3.0. An older MacPro with USB 2.0 works fine.

Took mine in and exchanged it this morning at Best Buy. The complete disabling of USB transfer was a unique bug. New Note Pro behaves like you describe- doesn't connect to MacBook via original USB 3 cable, but at least a reboot restores USB transfer function afterwards without a factory reset.

I hope a firmware upgrade will fix this entirely.
26th February 2014, 03:14 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 3

49 posts
More
I cant comment on the Note pro 12.2 but my note 3 i tend to use OTG cable and a thumb drive to push large files or use drop box. I could never really get android file transfer to even work consistently with my Nexus 10 running Mountain lion or mavericks on different macs.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread