Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,791 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What update broke Usage Manager?

Tip us?

DrAzzy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default [Q] What update broke Usage Manager?

Usage Manager app (built-in/stock) used to work.

It no longer does. When I tap it, the screen briefly flashes dark (like it was opening), and then it instantly closes. No error message is shown.

I'm running Rooted Stock MI9 (rooted with RDLV - MJ5 doesn't seem to have anything I want that justifies risking breaking a working setup), with Wanam, TiBu, Light Manager (paid), Keyboard Manager (to use hacker keyboard with terminal and ssh, and swype everywhere else), and Pen Window manager, plus some really boring, typical apps. No games, nothing other than the listed apps that does anything exotic.

It stopped working some time during the last several weeks. I have changed no settings during this time. The only app I have installed is Light Manager Pro (I previously used the free version, until a paid one came out), and I doubt this is the problem, but I have run normal app updates.

Anyone know what it is that causes this issue? I can still get to the battery and data usage screens from settings. It's just usage manager that doesn't seem to work.

Rukbat
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Stock MJ5, lots of other apps, no games or weird stuff. Never had Usage Manager on the screen, but I put it on now and it works. Did you try removing it and reinstalling it? (I know widgets sometimes get screwed up and you have to redo them, I've never seen it with an app, but maybe?)

DrAzzy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
Stock MJ5, lots of other apps, no games or weird stuff. Never had Usage Manager on the screen, but I put it on now and it works. Did you try removing it and reinstalling it? (I know widgets sometimes get screwed up and you have to redo them, I've never seen it with an app, but maybe?)
Is there also a widget form of Usage Manager? I'm just using the app.

I can't remove/reinstall it, I don't think - it's a stock app, and doesn't show in application manager...

In any event, I suspect it's one of the root apps that's breaking it. But I don't know which one or what needs to be done to make them play well together.

Rukbat
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAzzy View Post
Is there also a widget form of Usage Manager?
No, sorry if it sounded like that. I just installed the app from the long-press on the screen.

Quote:
I can't remove/reinstall it, I don't think - it's a stock app, and doesn't show in application manager...
Long-press the icon on the screen and you can remove the icon on the screen. Then reinstall the screen icon.

What I meant about widgets is that I've had widgets do weird things and by removing and reinstalling them, they worked again.

DrAzzy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
No, sorry if it sounded like that. I just installed the app from the long-press on the screen.

Long-press the icon on the screen and you can remove the icon on the screen. Then reinstall the screen icon.

What I meant about widgets is that I've had widgets do weird things and by removing and reinstalling them, they worked again.
Oh, I've done that already - doesn't work.
It also closes instantly when launched from apps screen.

Rukbat
Old
Thanks Meter 41
No bueno, How about unrooting, asking for a warranty swap and living with MJ5? Or isn't having the link on the desktop worth the drive? I think for a little thing like that I'd just live with it. I save my fights for nuclear war (like an OTA bootlooping the phone).

DrAzzy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
No bueno, How about unrooting, asking for a warranty swap and living with MJ5? Or isn't having the link on the desktop worth the drive? I think for a little thing like that I'd just live with it. I save my fights for nuclear war (like an OTA bootlooping the phone).
Well that escalated quickly....

This is clearly a software problem. I think it unconscionable and selfish to return known-good hardware for a software problem, because then the cost of this bogus warranty return gets passed on to everyone else (in other words, you and I). I choose not to make the world worse for every other AT&T customer (we suffer enough) to get one app that I am almost certainly responsible for breaking working again.

I'm sure I could fix it by reflashing stock, but I don't really want to do that, because it's so much work to get everything set back up. I was asking in the hopes that someone has seen this before.

Anyone know if there's a way to "reset app data" like you can for most apps, on the usage manager app?

mooseyone
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I have pretty much the same setup except I'm on MI9 and don't have that keyboard setup you have. Mine does the same thing. Never could find out what broke it. Sure would like it back though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

I must stand corrected. I had the same fc issues last week with usage manager. Tried putting the shortcut back on home screen and messed with it for about a hour trying to find what broke it. Finally gave up. Just tried it now and it functions just fine. Oh well. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

ReggieSmith
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAzzy View Post
Well that escalated quickly....

This is clearly a software problem. I think it unconscionable and selfish to return known-good hardware for a software problem, because then the cost of this bogus warranty return gets passed on to everyone else (in other words, you and I). I choose not to make the world worse for every other AT&T customer (we suffer enough) to get one app that I am almost certainly responsible for breaking working again.

I'm sure I could fix it by reflashing stock, but I don't really want to do that, because it's so much work to get everything set back up. I was asking in the hopes that someone has seen this before.

Anyone know if there's a way to "reset app data" like you can for most apps, on the usage manager app?
What about using TiBU to restore the app data from a previous backup?

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app