[Q] LG G2 Rom Questions

Tip us?

CombustLemonz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] LG G2 Rom Questions

I am going to be getting a LG G2 Verizon - VS980 and I am fimliar with rooting but not with custom roms. I have a Nexus 10 so I never felt the need to fiddle with ROMs. I wanna install CyanogenMod Release candidate. I heard freegee and root are needed to install something that is needed for custom roms but I just don't quite have a full grasp on it. I am new at ROMs but not at rooting. Could someone point me in the right direction? Also I have a few questions.

Is the VS980 correct LG G2 for Verizon to get downloads from the CyanogenMod site?
Do you recommend any other roms besides CM? I like the Nexus line because it is simply stock android but I do like the feature over overclocking that CM offers I think with its 2Ghz it would be uneeded.

spinninbsod
Old
Thanks Meter 37
If your already on Verizon this about the best android device you can get right now I personally prefer the nexus 5 but I'm on Verizon so no nexus devices for us except the galaxy nexus which i maymake my my backup device oh and if you plan on getting the lg g2 you might wanna get one soon before you get an lg g2 with firmware that patches Loki

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Oh and yes the vs980 is the correct model number for CyanogenMod

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

I'm on liquidsmooth I find it very stable occasionally freezes that's with all custom ROMs especially kitkat ROMs sometimes you have to hard reset which stinks but it will get more stable

The Following User Says Thank You to spinninbsod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Art Vanderlay
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombustLemonz View Post
I am going to be getting a LG G2 Verizon - VS980 and I am fimliar with rooting but not with custom roms. I have a Nexus 10 so I never felt the need to fiddle with ROMs. I wanna install CyanogenMod Release candidate. I heard freegee and root are needed to install something that is needed for custom roms but I just don't quite have a full grasp on it. I am new at ROMs but not at rooting. Could someone point me in the right direction? Also I have a few questions.

Is the VS980 correct LG G2 for Verizon to get downloads from the CyanogenMod site?
Do you recommend any other roms besides CM? I like the Nexus line because it is simply stock android but I do like the feature over overclocking that CM offers I think with its 2Ghz it would be uneeded.
You don't need root to flash custom roms you just need to unlock your bootloader

you can find that guide here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2224020

Personally I'd just root it since your new rom will be rooted anyway, it just makes life easier, and there are easier methods of unlocking the bootloader using root apps.

To answer your other questions I don't believe the cyanogenmod installer works on your device but it wouldn't hurt to give a shot. If your looking for a stock android feel cyanogen's the way to go I'd highly recommend it over any stock rom but try things for yourself and see what you like best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Art Vanderlay For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CombustLemonz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninbsod View Post
If your already on Verizon this about the best android device you can get right now I personally prefer the nexus 5 but I'm on Verizon so no nexus devices for us except the galaxy nexus which i maymake my my backup device oh and if you plan on getting the lg g2 you might wanna get one soon before you get an lg g2 with firmware that patches Loki

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Oh and yes the vs980 is the correct model number for CyanogenMod

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

I'm on liquidsmooth I find it very stable occasionally freezes that's with all custom ROMs especially kitkat ROMs sometimes you have to hard reset which stinks but it will get more stable

I am getting a LG G2 this Sunday or Saturday. Do you think that it will be to late? How do I tell if I have a version that has loki patched on it?

spinninbsod
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I would not try this on the g2 maybe it works maybe it doesent

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

It shouldn't be to late were not expecting an ota till sometime in march you might be cutting it close depends when but as soon as you root install custom recovery or disable ota because lg will push updates to your device even if you say no and when your rooted it creates a mighty soft brick

The Following User Says Thank You to spinninbsod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

annoyingduck
Old
Thanks Meter 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombustLemonz View Post
I am getting a LG G2 this Sunday or Saturday. Do you think that it will be to late? How do I tell if I have a version that has loki patched on it?
You'll be good to go, probably not going to see an ota until the kk release which could be months away (Yay Verizon ). I just got mine today (Verizon) rooted using this method:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=869
And recovery using freegee. Effortless, and easy. Make sure you backup your efs in the freegee app and there is a better efs backup in the general section that you should do to.

And to reference another poster here, our bootloader is 100% locked. Root is required in order to apply the loki patch to flash a custom recovery. Loki allows a custom recovery to operate on the stock locked bootloader... You really won't know the difference from it being locked or unlocked.

-VZW LG G2 VS980

I try my best to help where I can. If I helped you, please click "Thanks" button.
The Following User Says Thank You to annoyingduck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spinninbsod
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I just looked closer this unlock method is for the optimus 4g different hardware everything is different lg went the more locked down root with the g2

amsage3
Old
(Last edited by amsage3; 22nd February 2014 at 08:11 AM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 1
Do you mind going into a little more detail about the Loki patch? My buddy is pretty into this stuff (I'm not, but I have a Nexus 7 and prefer the stock version instead of LGs), and said he'd be able to help me...well, he has a GS4, and it took him a while to figure out something was wrong with the boot loader (communicating long distance)...now were kinda stuck, and don't know what to do. I'm in almost the exact same situation as OP...VZW G2 that I'd like to put CM on.

Also...I think I may have messed up big time and rooted my phone before making any recovery files...the poster above talking about the upcoming OTA bricking phones....am I just sitting on a ticking time bomb?

Garsh that xda forums noob video is making me feel awfully stupid right now

IamPro
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsage3 View Post
Do you mind going into a little more detail about the Loki patch? My buddy is pretty into this stuff (I'm not, but I have a Nexus 7 and prefer the stock version instead of LGs), and said he'd be able to help me...well, he has a GS4, and it took him a while to figure out something was wrong with the boot loader (communicating long distance)...now were kinda stuck, and don't know what to do. I'm in almost the exact same situation as OP...VZW G2 that I'd like to put CM on.

Also...I think I may have messed up big time and rooted my phone before making any recovery files...the poster above talking about the upcoming OTA bricking phones....am I just sitting on a ticking time bomb?

Garsh that xda forums noob video is making me feel awfully stupid right now
If you have a recovery

http://youtu.be/ifi-ArGeTzQ
The Following User Says Thank You to IamPro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amsage3
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
If you have a recovery

(link)
I do have a recovery...have tried with Clockwork Mod and TWRP, but basically what happens is if I try to do a manual boot in to recovery mode using the keys on the back, it just actually goes through with the factory reset of the phone. If I try to do it through an app like CWM or TWRP, I get the LG splash screen, and then the android logo with its chest open and the red exclamation point over it. If I let it sit and do nothing on that graphic, eventually the phone just resets. There is nothing else on that screen but that graphic.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Even using Flashify, which claims to bypass this whole Lokis patch (still dont really understand what it is) didnt work...