Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Recent Explorer Purchaser after release

OP darconi

17th January 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Granted that its still all rumors but there's a chance at least that the retail Glass will go on sale in April 2014 for an estimated price point of $600 or so. At least that's what recent reports have said might happen.

Anyone got thoughts on what happens to the Explorers program, in particular, RECENT explorers? I can see how if you had bought Glass for $1500 a year or so ago when it first was announced, you can justify it somewhat.

But for those who are buying it now or soon, if it does come out in April for $900 cheaper...do you think Google will do anything to compensate? 3 months for $900 difference is a bit hard to swallow I feel.

Maybe they can refund part of it or give a free Glass to recent purchases?
20th January 2014, 07:42 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by darconi

Granted that its still all rumors but there's a chance at least that the retail Glass will go on sale in April 2014 for an estimated price point of $600 or so. At least that's what recent reports have said might happen.

Anyone got thoughts on what happens to the Explorers program, in particular, RECENT explorers? I can see how if you had bought Glass for $1500 a year or so ago when it first was announced, you can justify it somewhat.

But for those who are buying it now or soon, if it does come out in April for $900 cheaper...do you think Google will do anything to compensate? 3 months for $900 difference is a bit hard to swallow I feel.

Maybe they can refund part of it or give a free Glass to recent purchases?

It's not coming out anywhere near April.

Not happening.

They need to revise the internals, deal with heat management/battery management, and tweak a ton of things/kill major bugs. It is nowhere near ready for consumer release.

You can't even use it for running right now, the system dims on nod via accelerometer detection.
20th January 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 128
 
379 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darconi

Granted that its still all rumors but there's a chance at least that the retail Glass will go on sale in April 2014 for an estimated price point of $600 or so. At least that's what recent reports have said might happen.

Anyone got thoughts on what happens to the Explorers program, in particular, RECENT explorers? I can see how if you had bought Glass for $1500 a year or so ago when it first was announced, you can justify it somewhat.

But for those who are buying it now or soon, if it does come out in April for $900 cheaper...do you think Google will do anything to compensate? 3 months for $900 difference is a bit hard to swallow I feel.

Maybe they can refund part of it or give a free Glass to recent purchases?

Its always been premium to be one of the few first to have glass. If you can't see or justify it that way, i would recommend you to wait for the retail units.

Just like how iPhone is selling like hot cakes in China, (before its officially launch), People has to pay premium (up to double) the price to own one.

Having said so, google has always been generous, for instance about nexus Q, which they give back full refund plus the device for free. You never know.
30th January 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #4  
CenFlo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
168 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
Just received mine and while it's pricey, I feel it's worth it.

Enjoying this quite a bit and I'm just getting the hang of it.
1st February 2014, 03:14 PM   |  #5  
laserbiz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
106 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
I just purchased mine. Expected delivery is Mon., Feb 3... any words of advice, pearls of wisdom you can impart?
shadyx513
3rd February 2014, 01:50 PM   |  #6  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Other than it is awesome and congrats, no, hope you enjoy aspect of it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
5th February 2014, 03:35 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Mobile Hot Spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserbiz

I just purchased mine. Expected delivery is Mon., Feb 3... any words of advice, pearls of wisdom you can impart?

Be sure that your phone plan is capable of mobile hot spot. Mine wasn't, and I had to get another plan.
14th February 2014, 04:56 PM   |  #8  
raqball's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sunny So. Cal...
Thanks Meter: 332
 
796 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.E.

Be sure that your phone plan is capable of mobile hot spot. Mine wasn't, and I had to get another plan.

Hot spot is no longer needed... Glass now pipes the info via bluetooth..
22nd February 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #9  
AustinDizzy's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Morgantown, WV
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
When I went to go purchase Glass for the first time, my bank declined the charge as my account had a transaction limit of $1500 (which I didn't know about at the time). Because of that, I had to postpone buying glass for a week until I could get things settled out with my bank and get that limit upped to $2000 so that I could purchase Glass without problem.

So I emailed Glass support and asked if they could extend my Glass invite so that I could have time to situate things on my end. In their response, they said the following: "I was able to extend your invitation until the end of April, but Glass goes fast so Id suggest using your code soon!" That leads me to believe that if Glass is going to be released sometime in a few months, it won't happen until after or around the end of April.

So there's that.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes