FORUMS

Bluetooth Keyboard Connection Issue

37 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By eddlum25, Member on 22nd November 2013, 03:02 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi all, I just bought a COD (TM) Bluetooth Keyboard Stand from Amazon. The stand is great, but the bluetooth keyboard keep losing its connection, even when I'm typing.

What could be the cause? Does anyone know how to fix this? Your help is much appreciated.

EDIT :

Try this to fix your BT problems .

Go to settings > Connections > Bluetooth > Hit menu button > Visibility Timeout > and change it to Never

Thanks to Geordie Affy.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by eddlum25; 7th December 2013 at 04:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddlum25 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

22nd November 2013, 06:22 PM |#2  
Flag La Crosse, WI
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddlum25

Hi all, I just bought a COD (TM) Bluetooth Keyboard Stand from Amazon. The stand is great, but the bluetooth keyboard keep losing its connection, even when I'm typing.

What could be the cause? Does anyone know how to fix this? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Try disabling the onscreen keyboard when connected to bluetooth. Some have reported this to help. I do not know for sure as I dont have BT Keyboard yet. There is some talk in one of the threads here about it. I dont remember where ATM but will look again for it and post a link to it if I can find it. Otherwise you can search in the threads for it here yourself

Here is the link I mentioned:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2526070
Last edited by ArticFox918; 22nd November 2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: adding info
The Following User Says Thank You to ArticFox918 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2013, 06:51 PM |#3  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,451

More
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd November 2013, 01:41 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticFox918

Try disabling the onscreen keyboard when connected to bluetooth. Some have reported this to help. I do not know for sure as I dont have BT Keyboard yet. There is some talk in one of the threads here about it. I dont remember where ATM but will look again for it and post a link to it if I can find it. Otherwise you can search in the threads for it here yourself

Here is the link I mentioned:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2526070

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

Thanks for your reply. I tried this trick with no luck. It automatically switch back to Samsung keyboard after 2 second. Grrrrr...very annoying
23rd November 2013, 03:12 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Google "android 4.3 bluetooth keyboard". Android 4.3 breaks most bluetooth keyboards and it appears Google has no desire to fix it with 4.4 out now. There are fixes out there but they involve rooting and voiding your warranty on this tablet. I think those of us who use bt keyboards and want a warranty will just have to wait for Samsung to roll out 4.4.

I almost returned the tablet over this but I get enough out of it that I'll wait. Hopefully they'll roll out 4.4 soon.

Sent from my SM-P600 using xda app-developers app
23rd November 2013, 06:14 PM |#6  
Flag Spokane, Washington

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRoach

Google "android 4.3 bluetooth keyboard". Android 4.3 breaks most bluetooth keyboards and it appears Google has no desire to fix it with 4.4 out now. There are fixes out there but they involve rooting and voiding your warranty on this tablet. I think those of us who use bt keyboards and want a warranty will just have to wait for Samsung to roll out 4.4.

I almost returned the tablet over this but I get enough out of it that I'll wait. Hopefully they'll roll out 4.4 soon.

I use my Samsung BT keyboard for hours on end and have never had a single issue with it. If BT is on, my N10.1-14 auto-connects when I turn on my BT keyboard and disables the onscreen keyboard. Samsung doesn't use Android's stock BT stack so any problems in generic Android wouldn't affect their devices. There are quite a few people here that aren't having issues with BT keyboards which would lead me to believe that it's the keyboards that some people are using that are causing issues. Interestingly, I had issues with the same keyboard I'm using now on my N10.1-12 where it would fight with the onscreen keyboard and randomly pop-up accented characters if I typed something like an "a" and left my finger on the key too long. It drove me crazy and I don't have any of those issues with the N10.1-14.
23rd November 2013, 07:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 99

More
It's not clear exactly what the problem is, but here are a couple of observations, from what I've noticed:

- In some cases, the problem may be related to conflicts with other apps installed. The problem became much less noticeable after i uninstalled MightyText. May be coincidence, but I definitely see a big improvement. I still get an occasional disconnect with the Logitech K810, at most once every half hour of so. When MightyText was installed, I got disconnected every couple minutes.
- I also have a Samsung BT keyboard. I very rarely get disconnects with the Samsung KB.
Last edited by GeorgeP; 23rd November 2013 at 11:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeP For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th November 2013, 02:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
@BarryH_GEG

I'd like to know where it was published that Samsung isn't using the stock Android BT stack? I've tried numerous keyboards that work with my desktop, iphone, and original GN 10.1 without any issue whatsoever, but are useless with this tablet. All of the symptoms are consistent with what others have reported on android 4.3. Hard to imagine that being a coincidence. Glad you found one keyboard that works. We can add it to the (short) list of ones that do.
24th November 2013, 02:31 PM |#9  
Flag Spokane, Washington

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpersuhn

@BarryH_GEG

I'd like to know where it was published that Samsung isn't using the stock Android BT stack? I've tried numerous keyboards that work with my desktop, iphone, and original GN 10.1 without any issue whatsoever, but are useless with this tablet. All of the symptoms are consistent with what others have reported on android 4.3. Hard to imagine that being a coincidence. Glad you found one keyboard that works. We can add it to the (short) list of ones that do.

Kind of simple really. BT's been broken in AOSP since 4.2.
Bluetooth Is Basically Broken

Known affected devices: Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus.

Documented? Android bugs [1] [2], XDA [1] [2], Google+.

We've already received numerous emails about this issue, and I've confirmed it myself: Bluetooth on everything but the Nexus 4 (apparently) is in an absolutely sorry state right now. Audio streams extremely choppily, sounds mediocre, and often loses connectivity entirely. 3rd party Bluetooth apps that create compatibility with devices like the Sixaxis or Wii controllers no longer function at all, and throw an error instead.

This is bad. This is the kind of thing that makes someone return a phone or tablet, because A.) people have no patience for stuff like this, and B.) there's zero reason something as simple as Bluetooth should be broken so badly out of the box. Google needs to mark this one "critical" and fix it ASAP.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...ewest-release/
Samsung's 4.2 devices weren't affected which means they had to be using either their own BT s/w or made major modifications to BT in AOSP. As for a "short list," how do we know it's of "working" peripheral's vs. "broken" peripheral's? I've only seen about a half-dozen BT connectivity complaints and really wasn't aware of the problem until it was pointed out to me in another thread. In my case I have about six BT devices I use regularly including speakers, headphones, mice, and keyboards and if asked I'd say they work better on the N10.1-14 then they did on the N10.1-12. I'd define "better" as connecting faster automatically, staying connected, and playing well with others when multiple BT devices are connected. To your point, I could be the anomaly but as posted in this and other threads disabling the onscreen keyboard and checking for conflicting s/w seems to have helped some people so it wouldn't appear BT issues are that widespread (yet).
24th November 2013, 02:52 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I agree that the onscreen keyboard adds much to the frustration, as it's default behavior mimics the problems folks have been reporting on other 4.3 devices. Most of what I've come across cites keyboard issues that many have experienced immediately after upgrading to 4.3, but that doesn't really meet the requirements of being evidence either. I suppose the only real way to know would be to grab the base android build that Sammy used and compare files.

As for compatibility issues beyond keyboard input, I can't really speak to that, as I only have a few audio devices and one gamepad. It isn't really a large enough sampling to suggest that the entire stack is hosed up. My issues have been entirely related to BT keyboards, so I'm more focused on that.

You mention conflicting software, which brings up a question. Since the BT stack would be considered part of the protected core OS, apps would require root to mess with it, wouldn't they? The six axis app being a good example, as it requires root. To hook the BT stack at a low enough level to add profiles or override existing ones for compatibility isn't something that should be possible with a user level app. I could be off base here and the reports of user apps affecting BT are an interesting coincidence, but I'm not sure I can quite see where the two cross paths. The alternative is surely more concerning, as it would imply that core OS functions in this tablet are somehow exposed to being overridden by user space apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpersuhn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th November 2013, 03:26 PM |#11  
Flag Spokane, Washington

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpersuhn

I agree that the onscreen keyboard adds much to the frustration, as it's default behavior mimics the problems folks have been reporting on other 4.3 devices. Most of what I've come across cites keyboard issues that many have experienced immediately after upgrading to 4.3, but that doesn't really meet the requirements of being evidence either. I suppose the only real way to know would be to grab the base android build that Sammy used and compare files.

As for compatibility issues beyond keyboard input, I can't really speak to that, as I only have a few audio devices and one gamepad. It isn't really a large enough sampling to suggest that the entire stack is hosed up. My issues have been entirely related to BT keyboards, so I'm more focused on that.

You mention conflicting software, which brings up a question. Since the BT stack would be considered part of the protected core OS, apps would require root to mess with it, wouldn't they? The six axis app being a good example, as it requires root. To hook the BT stack at a low enough level to add profiles or override existing ones for compatibility isn't something that should be possible with a user level app. I could be off base here and the reports of user apps affecting BT are an interesting coincidence, but I'm not sure I can quite see where the two cross paths. The alternative is surely more concerning, as it would imply that core OS functions in this tablet are somehow exposed to being overridden by user space apps.

Great post and it touches on one of Android's key weaknesses. "Core" like everything else is nothing but a guideline. OEMs like Samsung and app developers color outside the lines all the time for their own benefit. In Samsung's case it was beneficial because BT in 4.2 was a mess and based on your findings still is so Samsung's meddling helped their audience. Android's kind of like the wild wild West in that regard. Add to that something like BT which itself is kind of like the wild wild West with frequent complaints about incompatibility between devices and you end up with the situation we're discussing. In every phone forum I've seen there's always multiple threads on "can't connect to my [insert brand of car]'s BT system." If the phone and car's BT implementation followed prescribed standards that wouldn't be the case. But who knows who's fault it is - the device OEM or the car manufacturer.

Here's another thing to consider about Samsung devices. ROMs from different regions with the same build and change list number released within days or weeks of each other can have different versions of included apps and s/w. As an example, some users on the N10.1-12 forum couldn't import PDFs in to S Note while the majority could. Those that could successfully imported the same PDFs that those that couldn't were having issues with. With some sleuthing we discovered there were almost a dozen different versions of S Note and that two had the PDF issue. And that was with the N10.1-12 being out for about three months. I'm on a Latin American SM-601 so there's the possibility that my BT might be different from U.S. (and possibly other region) SM-600's.

You might want to try a Samsung BT keyboard that you can return if you want to see if the BT issue is pervasive. If Samsung's KB works then you'll know that BT isn't totally borked and that perhaps updates might correct incompatibility issues with other keyboards.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)