5,595,000 Members 39,353 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Full Java Virtual Machine - Is it a possibility?

Tip us?

redraider II
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Full Java Virtual Machine - Is it a possibility?

So if this is a stupid question - please be kind.

It seems the Prime has the power to run the full Java instead of the phone based version.

I noticed this the other day when I was trying to run a java video app from within BlackBoard for one of my assignments. I just get a bunch of symbols at the top of the frame and it extends the screen endlessly to the right.

So is adding the full java something that can be done in a new firmware update or be a part of a rooting package of the future? It sure would be nice to take advantage of the power of this tablet by adding the upgraded java.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I crazy?

Noxious Ninja
Old
(Last edited by Noxious Ninja; 19th January 2012 at 12:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
Dalvik is a full JVM, it's just that Android doesn't implement a lot of the Java libraries dedicated to writing desktop apps. It might not be too much work to get, e.g., hidden Java applets running. It would be a lot of work to get Java applications with graphical interfaces working.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noxious Ninja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Khyrdantai
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I think it'd be cool to run a Minecraft server off my tablet... but that's just me.

redraider II
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious Ninja View Post
Dalvik is a full JVM, it's just that Android doesn't implement a lot of the Java libraries dedicated to writing desktop apps. It might not be too much work to get, e.g., hidden Java applets running. It would be a lot of work to get Java applications with graphical interfaces working.
But this tablet has the horsepower to run it if it were done, correct? I'm just thinking quad core tablet- a GB of ram. Seems like a ripe apple for the developers to add something a little more tricked out in the software now that there is hardware that would support it.

Of course I am not a developer, but my understanding is java is scaled back due to hardware limitations. The Prime is a beast of a tablet. What would it take for this to happen?

Noxious Ninja
Old
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by redraider II View Post
What would it take for this to happen?
A lot of time and money? Months of work at an absolute minimum. I don't know all the missing APIs, but at least pretty much all the graphics stuff from desktop Java is missing on Android.

redraider II
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious Ninja View Post
A lot of time and money? Months of work at an absolute minimum. I don't know all the missing APIs, but at least pretty much all the graphics stuff from desktop Java is missing on Android.
Oh crap. Well..... I suppose that hope just went out the window.
I am happy with the Prime as it is. I was just curious about the possibilities of taking it to the next level java wise now that there are devices capable of running it.

I see you are in SA, Noxious. I'm just up the road in Austin. Have to come down there every other month or so to Methodist Transplant hospital. Had a liver transplant almost 5 years ago now. Graduated from Judson.
Thanks for your replies.
RedRaider II

Spidey01
Old
(Last edited by Spidey01; 19th January 2012 at 03:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 103
You can run Java SE and even a JDK but you lose Android integration. Example: I have JRE/JDK and most of the Android SDK running on mine, in a Debian chroot. All I am missing seems to be a couple x86 C/C++ programs that I don't know where to find the source for, otherwise I could get them ported to ARM and do Android development on my tablet with the usual build system (not what terminal ide does).

But note that if you want to do GUI crap in Java, like AWT/Swing/JWT, then you need the x11/vnc stuff or to push the built code to another machine you can remote into. Running headless Java code is also possible via dalvik (just like the Android SDK does for what goes into .apk files) in some cases but I would not want to test complicated parts of core libs and classpath dancing.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

- Samsung Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile )SGH-T999, stock+rooted.
- ASUS Transformer TF201 32GB, CyanogenMod.
- ASUS Transformer TF101 32GB, Prime ROM (damaged/retired).
- HTC MyTouch 4G Slide, CM 9.1-stable, retired.
- HTC MyTouch 4G, my first CyanogenMod (7.1), sold.
- LG Optimus T, stock+rooted. gifted to a beautiful Firefly.
My journal

S0AndS0
Old
Thanks Meter 69

DONATE TO ME
Run Linux (ARMel or ARMhf) OS ontop of Android and run "ARM_Linux_Moder" from the following link after cloning it to the Linux file system
https://github.com/S0AndS0/Debian-Kit-Mods
Full directions are in readme file and I've a guide on xda and google docs to set up Linux on Android using Debian Kit.

Currently you can run JDK hard or soft float on Android and run almost any .jar file or java program that runs on PC Linux OS's using the scripts provided and install Java dependent software I've tested and scripted installers for.

I'll be working on Android SDK and NDK soon.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app
Sent from: SPH-D700 or myTouch3Gs or Sero 7 Pro
Linux Install guide for Android devices that I'm writing:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2240397
Or
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...?usp=drive_web
And my script pack for installing; Java's JDK, node.js and more to your Linux OS
https://github.com/S0AndS0/Debian-Kit-Mods
Note: if you're new to Linux/scripting/command line; check readme file for instructions.