5,599,677 Members 46,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Latin American Defy won't work in Canada - Motorola says it's a software issue

Tip us?

eretai
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Latin American Defy won't work in Canada - Motorola says it's a software issue

I recently bought a second hand Defy that refuses to work on the Wind Mobile network in Canada (won't leave roaming, will only receive texts without being able to send). When I asked Motorola about the issue through their support page their agent told me the following:

[01:00:44 PM] Hi, my name is Frantz. How may I help you?
[01:02:12 PM] Theo: Hello. I'm having troubles with my motorola defy. I'm using Wind Mobile, and the motoblur account is set up. It can recieve texts, but can't send calls or any other messages. Is this a physical defect, or is there some way I can try to fix this?
[]
[01:06:35 PM] Frantz: Can I have the IMEI number?
[01:07:27 PM] Theo: Absolutely.
[01:09:32 PM] Frantz: Thank you. Hold on for one or two minutes please [] The raison you having so much issue with the phone is because the phone was not manufacture for Canada
[01:13:52 PM] Frantz: It was manufacture for Latin America
[01:14:11 PM] Theo: Alright. So it's a physical problem?
[01:14:32 PM] Frantz: No, it's a carrier issue
[01:15:35 PM] Frantz: The software in the phone is different than the one they have for Canada
[01:16:30 PM] Theo: Is there any way to modify the software to work with Wind Mobile?
[01:17:35 PM] Frantz: No you can not modify the software, but if you can return it, I will advise you to do so
[01:18:31 PM] Frantz: Do you have any other question?
[01:19:48 PM] Theo: Just one. If i replaced the operating system on the phone entirely, one that was compatable with Wind Mobile, would this problem remain?
[01:21:03 PM] Frantz: It's not guaranty

Is there a way to salvage this defy for use up here in the frozen North, or should I move to Latin America to solve the issue (or cheep out and return the phone to it's seller)?

Proverbs2
Old
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by eretai View Post
Is there a way to salvage this defy for use up here in the frozen North, or should I move to Latin America to solve the issue (or cheep out and return the phone to it's seller)?
You could try changing the radio baseband using Baseband Switcher. (I think the phone has to be rooted before you can use that app. The easiest method to root the phone is with Framaroot.)

However, the Motorola representative was incorrect. Motorola Defys made for different regions actually have different radio hardware, so changing the software probably won't work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Proverbs2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eretai
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for your response! I wanted to ask a group that actually knew what they were doing before I went any further (and came to the right place apparently).

I could not get this solution to work for my phone, but I'm glad that I had the chance to engage in a cultural exchange with a foreign issue of the Defy

pgreed
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by eretai View Post
Thank you for your response! I wanted to ask a group that actually knew what they were doing before I went any further (and came to the right place apparently).

I could not get this solution to work for my phone, but I'm glad that I had the chance to engage in a cultural exchange with a foreign issue of the Defy
Latin America use different baseband. So IF the phone was not locked on a south america carrier you can switch the baseband. If was locked you need to softunlock the sim before do a baseband switch.

eretai
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreed View Post
Latin America use different baseband. So IF the phone was not locked on a south america carrier you can switch the baseband. If was locked you need to softunlock the sim before do a baseband switch.
The phone has been unlocked. As there has been renewed interest in this topic and the phone hasnt yet been returned I will try again. I'll re-attempt the above method, but i'd be greatful if you could suggest an alternative

pgreed
Old
Thanks Meter 57
For which carrier you need the baseband? Try the Argentina's baseband perhaps it work.

propov
Old
(Last edited by propov; 23rd February 2014 at 04:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs2 View Post
You could try changing the radio baseband using Baseband Switcher. (I think the phone has to be rooted before you can use that app. The easiest method to root the phone is with Framaroot.)

However, the Motorola representative was incorrect. Motorola Defys made for different regions actually have different radio hardware, so changing the software probably won't work.
It have only 2 versions Defys.And the diference is only in the UMTS bands that is not important for main telephony funcionality.See the link
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomp...=2602&id4=2573
I have the similar problem but my Defy+ seems to works only in 3G here in South Europe.And Im almost sure that we need to find corect radio modul/basseband.But it can Flash diferent modules and switch between diferrent bands.Seems to be tricky and need more knowledge!Who can help us?
When they will made a perfect device?Let Motorola choose the materials,Sharp or LG make display,HTC make design and UI,Sony make multimedia,Samsung make...nothing,and all this will given for assembling again to Motorola.For me this will be the perfect device!