Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Exclamation [Q] Google Now Cards Missing - Unable to Activate

OP viper134

17th November 2013, 04:16 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
98 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Hi,

Recently upgraded to kitkat 4.4 and cannot activate Google Now. I go into Google Now and it just shows the search and nothing else
(No Cards). I also cannot activate it from the settings menu. I am currently located in China but it works fine for my Galaxy Nexus.

Any Ideas? I've tried factory reset and re-flashing the factory image. Also of course erasing the data and cache from Google Search.

Regards,
Bobbie
23rd November 2013, 04:42 AM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Same here
Same problem here! Please post if you find out how to fix ths. I'm also based in China now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper134

Hi,

Recently upgraded to kitkat 4.4 and cannot activate Google Now. I go into Google Now and it just shows the search and nothing else
(No Cards). I also cannot activate it from the settings menu. I am currently located in China but it works fine for my Galaxy Nexus.

Any Ideas? I've tried factory reset and re-flashing the factory image. Also of course erasing the data and cache from Google Search.

Regards,
Bobbie

23rd November 2013, 04:50 AM   |  #3  
Letitride's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Metro NY/NE Region
Thanks Meter: 198
 
775 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenmato

Same problem here! Please post if you find out how to fix ths. I'm also based in China now.

Check your "Google Settings" - is Google Now turned OFF ?

Go to Settings, Account & look under your Google Account - Syncs ON ?
Last edited by Letitride; 23rd November 2013 at 04:57 AM.
23rd November 2013, 05:31 AM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Hi,

In my google settings there is no reference to Google now! o.o I'm sure it was there before updating...
Also, yes, all the sync is turned on under my Google account in the settings menu.
Is it possible that google now is simply not availiable in China? I updated my Nexus with a chinese sim card inside, this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride

Check your "Google Settings" - is Google Now turned OFF ?

Go to Settings, Account & look under your Google Account - Syncs ON ?

24th November 2013, 02:25 AM   |  #5  
Letitride's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Metro NY/NE Region
Thanks Meter: 198
 
775 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Stock roms & kernels (or minimal modifications} ??

Access to Google's server from China (and the lack of) is one likely reason - even if the Apps are working & functioning, including location reporting since authorities do filter broadband traffic.

Can you access weather reports for Beijin, Guangzhou & Hong Kong via Google Now and/or via Google Search on the stock Chrome Browser? If it is working, those Now "cards" should be filled & showing up like ours here in the USA.

The stock KitKat 4.4 roms all have these apps, unless they are somehow remotely disabled and/or blocked - reasons for why we use Hangouts with ease while folks on the other half of the world are using WeChat instead ...
23rd February 2014, 10:16 AM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
The solution requires a rooted phone.

Install Nova launcher and titanium backup.

Download the apk for Google Search 2.6.xx. You can find this easily.

Use titanium backup to uninstall Google search. This is why you have to install Nova. Otherwise you won't have a launcher.

Install Google search 2.6. You will be asked if you want to use Google now. Press yes.

Go to the Google play store and update to latest Google search. Now google now cards will be enabled. That's it. Kind of a pain but the only way to do it in China as far as I know. Hope this helps.







Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride

Stock roms & kernels (or minimal modifications} ??

Access to Google's server from China (and the lack of) is one likely reason - even if the Apps are working & functioning, including location reporting since authorities do filter broadband traffic.

Can you access weather reports for Beijin, Guangzhou & Hong Kong via Google Now and/or via Google Search on the stock Chrome Browser? If it is working, those Now "cards" should be filled & showing up like ours here in the USA.

The stock KitKat 4.4 roms all have these apps, unless they are somehow remotely disabled and/or blocked - reasons for why we use Hangouts with ease while folks on the other half of the world are using WeChat instead ...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes