Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,396 Members 36,760 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Now Cards Missing - Unable to Activate

Tip us?

viper134
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Exclamation [Q] Google Now Cards Missing - Unable to Activate

Hi,

Recently upgraded to kitkat 4.4 and cannot activate Google Now. I go into Google Now and it just shows the search and nothing else
(No Cards). I also cannot activate it from the settings menu. I am currently located in China but it works fine for my Galaxy Nexus.

Any Ideas? I've tried factory reset and re-flashing the factory image. Also of course erasing the data and cache from Google Search.

Regards,
Bobbie

rubenmato
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same here

Same problem here! Please post if you find out how to fix ths. I'm also based in China now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper134 View Post
Hi,

Recently upgraded to kitkat 4.4 and cannot activate Google Now. I go into Google Now and it just shows the search and nothing else
(No Cards). I also cannot activate it from the settings menu. I am currently located in China but it works fine for my Galaxy Nexus.

Any Ideas? I've tried factory reset and re-flashing the factory image. Also of course erasing the data and cache from Google Search.

Regards,
Bobbie

Letitride
Old
(Last edited by Letitride; 23rd November 2013 at 03:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenmato View Post
Same problem here! Please post if you find out how to fix ths. I'm also based in China now.
Check your "Google Settings" - is Google Now turned OFF ?

Go to Settings, Account & look under your Google Account - Syncs ON ?
Google Nexus 5 - 4.4.4 KTU84P - x 2 in black & white: T-Mo 4G
Asus 2012 Nexus 7 32GB WiFi, 4.4.4 BSZKitKat v1.6
Moto Atrix 4G MROM: Peoples-AT&T/T-Mo 3G+WiFi
HTC Incredible 2 unlocked S-OFF CWM 5.x HB.97 (6.13.1002) SR's Zeus R1.3, Sense v5.0.m
Viewsonic Vpad7-CWM 5.x EUv1.7b ITE Rom 2.2.2 hw107, A2SD, 3G+WiFi
HTC Droid Eris-GB 2.3.5 CM7 V.24RIP-Vanila-ICS, WiFi only
HTC Ozone (unlocked GSM+CDMA) 3VO ROM: WinMo 6.5: CMHK/CN+
Sony E. W995 CID53Red, R1HA036 generic, C905 custpack

rubenmato
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

In my google settings there is no reference to Google now! o.o I'm sure it was there before updating...
Also, yes, all the sync is turned on under my Google account in the settings menu.
Is it possible that google now is simply not availiable in China? I updated my Nexus with a chinese sim card inside, this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride View Post
Check your "Google Settings" - is Google Now turned OFF ?

Go to Settings, Account & look under your Google Account - Syncs ON ?

Letitride
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Stock roms & kernels (or minimal modifications} ??

Access to Google's server from China (and the lack of) is one likely reason - even if the Apps are working & functioning, including location reporting since authorities do filter broadband traffic.

Can you access weather reports for Beijin, Guangzhou & Hong Kong via Google Now and/or via Google Search on the stock Chrome Browser? If it is working, those Now "cards" should be filled & showing up like ours here in the USA.

The stock KitKat 4.4 roms all have these apps, unless they are somehow remotely disabled and/or blocked - reasons for why we use Hangouts with ease while folks on the other half of the world are using WeChat instead ...
Google Nexus 5 - 4.4.4 KTU84P - x 2 in black & white: T-Mo 4G
Asus 2012 Nexus 7 32GB WiFi, 4.4.4 BSZKitKat v1.6
Moto Atrix 4G MROM: Peoples-AT&T/T-Mo 3G+WiFi
HTC Incredible 2 unlocked S-OFF CWM 5.x HB.97 (6.13.1002) SR's Zeus R1.3, Sense v5.0.m
Viewsonic Vpad7-CWM 5.x EUv1.7b ITE Rom 2.2.2 hw107, A2SD, 3G+WiFi
HTC Droid Eris-GB 2.3.5 CM7 V.24RIP-Vanila-ICS, WiFi only
HTC Ozone (unlocked GSM+CDMA) 3VO ROM: WinMo 6.5: CMHK/CN+
Sony E. W995 CID53Red, R1HA036 generic, C905 custpack

computerdating
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The solution requires a rooted phone.

Install Nova launcher and titanium backup.

Download the apk for Google Search 2.6.xx. You can find this easily.

Use titanium backup to uninstall Google search. This is why you have to install Nova. Otherwise you won't have a launcher.

Install Google search 2.6. You will be asked if you want to use Google now. Press yes.

Go to the Google play store and update to latest Google search. Now google now cards will be enabled. That's it. Kind of a pain but the only way to do it in China as far as I know. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride View Post
Stock roms & kernels (or minimal modifications} ??

Access to Google's server from China (and the lack of) is one likely reason - even if the Apps are working & functioning, including location reporting since authorities do filter broadband traffic.

Can you access weather reports for Beijin, Guangzhou & Hong Kong via Google Now and/or via Google Search on the stock Chrome Browser? If it is working, those Now "cards" should be filled & showing up like ours here in the USA.

The stock KitKat 4.4 roms all have these apps, unless they are somehow remotely disabled and/or blocked - reasons for why we use Hangouts with ease while folks on the other half of the world are using WeChat instead ...