Portable Wifi HDD Keeping Mobile Data

OP bstarks16

24th February 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm going to try to keep this short and to the point. I'm not having an issue, just looking for input to help me get the most out of the configuration I setup.

I have a Pioneer Appradio 3 in my car that does not have the ability to read directly from a usb flash drive, where I hold all of my music. Instead the music resides on my HTC One, with 32gb of storage. I have well over 32gb so to make this work I created a small box with a Raspberry Pi that acts as a ad-hoc network and shares any usb hdd or thumb drive i plug into it. I then mount the network share on the HTC One to the USB folder on the phone so that music apps see it as a attached storage device. This works beautifully.

However, in the process of doing this I lose data on my phone because it is connected to a wifi network with no data, i.e. the Raspberry Pi. Is there a way to keep mobile data while connected to a network with no data? I know this is physically possible because the wifi radio stays active with data when creating a hotspot....which was the original way I was accomplishing this. However, this is no longer an option because I am using miracast to communicate with the app radio over HDMI.

For anyone that is interested the Raspberry Pi is being controlled by a simple relay and USB power source.

Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread