5,597,261 Members 40,842 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What smartwatch should i get

Tip us?
 
mikeydubbs
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 67
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London, ON

 
DONATE TO ME
Sign [Q] What smartwatch should i get

Hey everyone! First of all I didn't see a Q&A forum so if this is in a bad spot sorry about that.

So I have been wanting to get a smartwatch and i have been stuck on deciding between the Sony smartwatch 2 and the Pebble Steel.
I have been looking everywhere, reading and watching reviews, but no one ever gives a good opinion on which is better. It seems like they end up weighing them out as even. For the Sony sw2 with the metal wristband it is currently $199 with free shipping. The Pebble Steel is $249 with free shipping that takes several weeks (so the site says) and may include import taxes.

I am currently using a Nexus 4, enjoy some small development, mainly looking for practical use, with a nice look.

Currently I am leaning towards the pebble steel. I don't know guys. Please share some of your opinions and thoughts, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Nexus 4 -- 4.4 MAKO-odexed.NEXUS 5 port

Zopo ZP900 -- (Only use as a phone as a backup/rough housing)
Nexus S -- PARANOIDANDROID 2.0
Asus Transformer TF101--Team EOS 3 JB 4.1.1
Lg Optimus One p500--eXPERIAtion™ v1
 
babanomania
Old
#2  
babanomania's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 48
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: kolkata
Sony Smartwatch 2 FTW
 
mikeydubbs
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 67
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London, ON

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by babanomania View Post
Sony Smartwatch 2 FTW

Whats your reason behind that? Have you used both? And do you have the metal or silicone band?
Nexus 4 -- 4.4 MAKO-odexed.NEXUS 5 port

Zopo ZP900 -- (Only use as a phone as a backup/rough housing)
Nexus S -- PARANOIDANDROID 2.0
Asus Transformer TF101--Team EOS 3 JB 4.1.1
Lg Optimus One p500--eXPERIAtion™ v1
 
0ri0n
Old
#4  
0ri0n's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 94
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Providence
I have the SW2 and have tried the Pebble, and while the Pebble is a great device that lasts a good deal of time, I prefer the touchscreen and colorful display of the SW2. The app selection is not that great, but it has all that I need and then some. If you are using the Sony made Gmail notifier app, prepare for some battery drain on your phone. None of the other apps I have used really cause that much of a drain if any.
________________________________


I have the "Next Big Thing..."
Oh yeah... I also have the Galaxy Note 3
 
mghtymse007
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 101
Posts: 355
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydubbs View Post
Hey everyone! First of all I didn't see a Q&A forum so if this is in a bad spot sorry about that.

So I have been wanting to get a smartwatch and i have been stuck on deciding between the Sony smartwatch 2 and the Pebble Steel.
I have been looking everywhere, reading and watching reviews, but no one ever gives a good opinion on which is better. It seems like they end up weighing them out as even. For the Sony sw2 with the metal wristband it is currently $199 with free shipping. The Pebble Steel is $249 with free shipping that takes several weeks (so the site says) and may include import taxes.

I am currently using a Nexus 4, enjoy some small development, mainly looking for practical use, with a nice look.

Currently I am leaning towards the pebble steel. I don't know guys. Please share some of your opinions and thoughts, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
This is a hard question to answer. Unfortunately, right now the Smart Watch market is in the very beginning stages in commercial availability and functionality.

For the most part, the Sony and the pebble do the same thing...and seem to do it well. In this case, the option really boils down to color or black and white screen. I have both the Pebble (1st edition) and the Sony SW2... The Sony quickly replaced the Pebble when it arrived. I loved the color screen, Android UI, and build quality. I felt that the pebble was outdated technology being in B&W and was a toy in comparison. I used the Sony for a few months...to be honest, I really wasn't impressed either. The watch face was really big and overwhelming. I did feel that the functionality was decent, but customization was very limited. Disconnects were prevalent every day and many times I missed notifs all together. I also experienced constant slow downs and extensive lag that could only be fixed by a restart.

Now...once I got the SmartQ Zwatch... my impressions and overall acceptance of the smart watch device changed. After a few firmware upgrades from SmartQ, the Z became my daily driver. Amazing considering I expected the LEAST from the Zwatch.

But this was almost 6 months ago now...for you the situation is different. Now we have devices like the Omate Truesmart, SimValley AW420/421.RX, and ZGPAX S5...dual core, full featured power houses. And with Google and Apple expected to release their stab at the Smartwatch...it's a tough time to commit to one.

My recommendation to you...is really try to figure out what your wishlist is for a SW. How will you use it? Will you need a full function device? I know this can be a difficult thing to do since you most likely don't know what your expectations are.

My advice is to start small. Buy something that has all the functionality you want....see if you like having a vibrating wrist. Some people hate it! Look at the Zwatch...it's only $99...fairly feature rich for that price with 4gb of storage, WiFi, BT, KitKat 4.4 and a great screen. With all the other possible devices hitting the shelves soon, it won't be long before you'll be looking to upgrade.

How this helps.



Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mghtymse007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
lexman098
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 95
Join Date: Aug 2012
I've had the same disconnect problem with sw2, but I fixed it by changing the oom values. You need a rooted phone to do that. Mine has 1gb of ram.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
 
mikeydubbs
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 67
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London, ON

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghtymse007 View Post
This is a hard question to answer. Unfortunately, right now the Smart Watch market is in the very beginning stages in commercial availability and functionality.

For the most part, the Sony and the pebble do the same thing...and seem to do it well. In this case, the option really boils down to color or black and white screen. I have both the Pebble (1st edition) and the Sony SW2... The Sony quickly replaced the Pebble when it arrived. I loved the color screen, Android UI, and build quality. I felt that the pebble was outdated technology being in B&W and was a toy in comparison. I used the Sony for a few months...to be honest, I really wasn't impressed either. The watch face was really big and overwhelming. I did feel that the functionality was decent, but customization was very limited. Disconnects were prevalent every day and many times I missed notifs all together. I also experienced constant slow downs and extensive lag that could only be fixed by a restart.

Now...once I got the SmartQ Zwatch... my impressions and overall acceptance of the smart watch device changed. After a few firmware upgrades from SmartQ, the Z became my daily driver. Amazing considering I expected the LEAST from the Zwatch.

But this was almost 6 months ago now...for you the situation is different. Now we have devices like the Omate Truesmart, SimValley AW420/421.RX, and ZGPAX S5...dual core, full featured power houses. And with Google and Apple expected to release their stab at the Smartwatch...it's a tough time to commit to one.

My recommendation to you...is really try to figure out what your wishlist is for a SW. How will you use it? Will you need a full function device? I know this can be a difficult thing to do since you most likely don't know what your expectations are.

My advice is to start small. Buy something that has all the functionality you want....see if you like having a vibrating wrist. Some people hate it! Look at the Zwatch...it's only $99...fairly feature rich for that price with 4gb of storage, WiFi, BT, KitKat 4.4 and a great screen. With all the other possible devices hitting the shelves soon, it won't be long before you'll be looking to upgrade.

How this helps.



Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This is exactly what i was hoping for from a reply, thanks!
I dont think i would mind the black and white screen, and i feel like the steel would take away from the "toy" feeling. But as you said, it is still early for the smartwatch generation. All that im really looking for is an easy way to see notifications, flip through music, and as i would think/consider basic functionality. Ill have a look at some of the ones that you mentioned!
Nexus 4 -- 4.4 MAKO-odexed.NEXUS 5 port

Zopo ZP900 -- (Only use as a phone as a backup/rough housing)
Nexus S -- PARANOIDANDROID 2.0
Asus Transformer TF101--Team EOS 3 JB 4.1.1
Lg Optimus One p500--eXPERIAtion™ v1
 
tacotester1
Old
#8  
tacotester1's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 40
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: east l a
i have been watching reviews on youtube for these

honestly they seem pretty cool but i would probably wait until they get the technology up to speed with the vision.
they seem more like notification centers for you to then check your phone
and not as much SMARTPHONE
they are missing some key stuff
FULL COLOR
AND TOUCH SCREEN
camera
actual ability to talk on the phone and message back.

that is the major issues
i have with pebble.

sw2 seems slightly better to me
but both im sure are cool to play around with
 
lexman098
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 95
Join Date: Aug 2012
I'm not really sure you want what you think you want. You'll never be able to put as much functionality on your wrist than you can in your pocket. It makes too much sense to let the wrist device extend the pocket device. It's still useful for situations like driving and shopping, even if you can't do everything with it. A microphone would be nice though.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
 
mikeydubbs
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 67
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London, ON

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotester1 View Post
i have been watching reviews on youtube for these

honestly they seem pretty cool but i would probably wait until they get the technology up to speed with the vision.
they seem more like notification centers for you to then check your phone
and not as much SMARTPHONE
they are missing some key stuff
FULL COLOR
AND TOUCH SCREEN
camera
actual ability to talk on the phone and message back.

that is the major issues
i have with pebble.

sw2 seems slightly better to me
but both im sure are cool to play around with
There are apps available for the pebble to send text messages
Nexus 4 -- 4.4 MAKO-odexed.NEXUS 5 port

Zopo ZP900 -- (Only use as a phone as a backup/rough housing)
Nexus S -- PARANOIDANDROID 2.0
Asus Transformer TF101--Team EOS 3 JB 4.1.1
Lg Optimus One p500--eXPERIAtion™ v1

Tags
pebble, review, sony smartwatch 2, which is better
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes