Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Sign [Q] What smartwatch should i get

OP mikeydubbs

12th February 2014, 05:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag London, ON
Thanks Meter: 6

67 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey everyone! First of all I didn't see a Q&A forum so if this is in a bad spot sorry about that.

So I have been wanting to get a smartwatch and i have been stuck on deciding between the Sony smartwatch 2 and the Pebble Steel.
I have been looking everywhere, reading and watching reviews, but no one ever gives a good opinion on which is better. It seems like they end up weighing them out as even. For the Sony sw2 with the metal wristband it is currently $199 with free shipping. The Pebble Steel is $249 with free shipping that takes several weeks (so the site says) and may include import taxes.

I am currently using a Nexus 4, enjoy some small development, mainly looking for practical use, with a nice look.

Currently I am leaning towards the pebble steel. I don't know guys. Please share some of your opinions and thoughts, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
12th February 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #2  
Flag kolkata
Thanks Meter: 33

58 posts
More
Sony Smartwatch 2 FTW
12th February 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag London, ON

67 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by babanomania

Sony Smartwatch 2 FTW

Whats your reason behind that? Have you used both? And do you have the metal or silicone band?
12th February 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #4  
Attleboro, MA
Thanks Meter: 27

111 posts
More
I have the SW2 and have tried the Pebble, and while the Pebble is a great device that lasts a good deal of time, I prefer the touchscreen and colorful display of the SW2. The app selection is not that great, but it has all that I need and then some. If you are using the Sony made Gmail notifier app, prepare for some battery drain on your phone. None of the other apps I have used really cause that much of a drain if any.
12th February 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 119

424 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydubbs

Hey everyone! First of all I didn't see a Q&A forum so if this is in a bad spot sorry about that.

So I have been wanting to get a smartwatch and i have been stuck on deciding between the Sony smartwatch 2 and the Pebble Steel.
I have been looking everywhere, reading and watching reviews, but no one ever gives a good opinion on which is better. It seems like they end up weighing them out as even. For the Sony sw2 with the metal wristband it is currently $199 with free shipping. The Pebble Steel is $249 with free shipping that takes several weeks (so the site says) and may include import taxes.

I am currently using a Nexus 4, enjoy some small development, mainly looking for practical use, with a nice look.

Currently I am leaning towards the pebble steel. I don't know guys. Please share some of your opinions and thoughts, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

This is a hard question to answer. Unfortunately, right now the Smart Watch market is in the very beginning stages in commercial availability and functionality.

For the most part, the Sony and the pebble do the same thing...and seem to do it well. In this case, the option really boils down to color or black and white screen. I have both the Pebble (1st edition) and the Sony SW2... The Sony quickly replaced the Pebble when it arrived. I loved the color screen, Android UI, and build quality. I felt that the pebble was outdated technology being in B&W and was a toy in comparison. I used the Sony for a few months...to be honest, I really wasn't impressed either. The watch face was really big and overwhelming. I did feel that the functionality was decent, but customization was very limited. Disconnects were prevalent every day and many times I missed notifs all together. I also experienced constant slow downs and extensive lag that could only be fixed by a restart.

Now...once I got the SmartQ Zwatch... my impressions and overall acceptance of the smart watch device changed. After a few firmware upgrades from SmartQ, the Z became my daily driver. Amazing considering I expected the LEAST from the Zwatch.

But this was almost 6 months ago now...for you the situation is different. Now we have devices like the Omate Truesmart, SimValley AW420/421.RX, and ZGPAX S5...dual core, full featured power houses. And with Google and Apple expected to release their stab at the Smartwatch...it's a tough time to commit to one.

My recommendation to you...is really try to figure out what your wishlist is for a SW. How will you use it? Will you need a full function device? I know this can be a difficult thing to do since you most likely don't know what your expectations are.

My advice is to start small. Buy something that has all the functionality you want....see if you like having a vibrating wrist. Some people hate it! Look at the Zwatch...it's only $99...fairly feature rich for that price with 4gb of storage, WiFi, BT, KitKat 4.4 and a great screen. With all the other possible devices hitting the shelves soon, it won't be long before you'll be looking to upgrade.

How this helps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mghtymse007 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th February 2014, 07:03 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 66

228 posts
I've had the same disconnect problem with sw2, but I fixed it by changing the oom values. You need a rooted phone to do that. Mine has 1gb of ram.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
12th February 2014, 09:00 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag London, ON

67 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghtymse007

This is a hard question to answer. Unfortunately, right now the Smart Watch market is in the very beginning stages in commercial availability and functionality.

For the most part, the Sony and the pebble do the same thing...and seem to do it well. In this case, the option really boils down to color or black and white screen. I have both the Pebble (1st edition) and the Sony SW2... The Sony quickly replaced the Pebble when it arrived. I loved the color screen, Android UI, and build quality. I felt that the pebble was outdated technology being in B&W and was a toy in comparison. I used the Sony for a few months...to be honest, I really wasn't impressed either. The watch face was really big and overwhelming. I did feel that the functionality was decent, but customization was very limited. Disconnects were prevalent every day and many times I missed notifs all together. I also experienced constant slow downs and extensive lag that could only be fixed by a restart.

Now...once I got the SmartQ Zwatch... my impressions and overall acceptance of the smart watch device changed. After a few firmware upgrades from SmartQ, the Z became my daily driver. Amazing considering I expected the LEAST from the Zwatch.

But this was almost 6 months ago now...for you the situation is different. Now we have devices like the Omate Truesmart, SimValley AW420/421.RX, and ZGPAX S5...dual core, full featured power houses. And with Google and Apple expected to release their stab at the Smartwatch...it's a tough time to commit to one.

My recommendation to you...is really try to figure out what your wishlist is for a SW. How will you use it? Will you need a full function device? I know this can be a difficult thing to do since you most likely don't know what your expectations are.

My advice is to start small. Buy something that has all the functionality you want....see if you like having a vibrating wrist. Some people hate it! Look at the Zwatch...it's only $99...fairly feature rich for that price with 4gb of storage, WiFi, BT, KitKat 4.4 and a great screen. With all the other possible devices hitting the shelves soon, it won't be long before you'll be looking to upgrade.

How this helps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This is exactly what i was hoping for from a reply, thanks!
I dont think i would mind the black and white screen, and i feel like the steel would take away from the "toy" feeling. But as you said, it is still early for the smartwatch generation. All that im really looking for is an easy way to see notifications, flip through music, and as i would think/consider basic functionality. Ill have a look at some of the ones that you mentioned!
13th February 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #8  
Flag east l a
Thanks Meter: 2

50 posts
i have been watching reviews on youtube for these

honestly they seem pretty cool but i would probably wait until they get the technology up to speed with the vision.
they seem more like notification centers for you to then check your phone
and not as much SMARTPHONE
they are missing some key stuff
FULL COLOR
AND TOUCH SCREEN
camera
actual ability to talk on the phone and message back.

that is the major issues
i have with pebble.

sw2 seems slightly better to me
but both im sure are cool to play around with
13th February 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 66

228 posts
I'm not really sure you want what you think you want. You'll never be able to put as much functionality on your wrist than you can in your pocket. It makes too much sense to let the wrist device extend the pocket device. It's still useful for situations like driving and shopping, even if you can't do everything with it. A microphone would be nice though.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
13th February 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag London, ON

67 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotester1

i have been watching reviews on youtube for these

honestly they seem pretty cool but i would probably wait until they get the technology up to speed with the vision.
they seem more like notification centers for you to then check your phone
and not as much SMARTPHONE
they are missing some key stuff
FULL COLOR
AND TOUCH SCREEN
camera
actual ability to talk on the phone and message back.

that is the major issues
i have with pebble.

sw2 seems slightly better to me
but both im sure are cool to play around with

There are apps available for the pebble to send text messages

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
pebble, review, sony smartwatch 2, which is better
Previous Thread Next Thread