[Q] Questions about CWM/TWRP, Nandroid and SuperSu

Tip us?

MetalOllie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Questions about CWM/TWRP, Nandroid and SuperSu

Hi..

I have a couple of questions about recovery mode and Nandroid backups. Easiest one first.. Does Nandroid back up everything, right done to home screen layout, personal folders, widgets etc.. an EXACT copy of the phone?

Secondly, I installed CWM/TWRP, and was able to boot into it to install my ROM, however, once the ROM is on the phone, I seem to lose the ability to boot into recovery mode. The CWM app shows that the recovery is installed, however the usual volume- and power key just starts the phone normally. I've put on an Xposed mod, which puts recovery on the power menu, with reboot, screenshot etc, however, that does the same.. Just reboots the phone.

Is this normal, and is it safe to keep pushing recovery to the phone via PC every time I need to use it?

Lastly, my phone is nicely rooted, however SuperSu only seems to grant access when set to "allow". On 4.1.2 I used to have it set to "prompt", however selecting this seems to block root access. I've tested it with an SU checker and a root checker, and with "prompt" selected, it tells me the phone isn't rooted. It's ok having it set to "allow", but not ideal, as I prefer total control over what is, and isn't allowed root access.

Any help and suggestions gratefully recieved. I'm on Android 4.3, .201 on an Xperia SP.

Thanks!

mrhnet
Old
Thanks Meter 30
1. Recovery backup usually backs up these things..
-Boot (kernel)
-System partition (ROM with system apps. But not app data)
-Data (apps and app data- with all apks you installed, user settings, accounts etc. Including UI layout. But not sdcard data)
-Cache
*Philz recovery has a nice option to backup internal sdcard (data/media)-very useful!

# So, if you choose the option "custom backup", you can select which component to backup in TWRP/Philz. (CWM has custom restore only).

2. Installing a ROM will erase any recovery installed in the system partition (which is the case if locked bootloader. If BL unlocked, can install a custom kernel with recovery, which won't get erased by ROM installing because it's with the kernel, not in system partition).

#So, you might have to install the recovery every time after flashing a ROM (of course, unless the ROM has pre-installed recovery).

3. SuperSU on "prompt" mode works well for me. Try to clear the data of SuperSu app and see.. or see whether there's a new update..

Hope this is of some help to you
Tags
cwm, nandroid, supersu, twrp, xperia