Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,834 Members 50,421 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Locked out phone. Google sign-in problem.

Tip us?

Mr.Stick
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Locked out phone. Google sign-in problem.

Ok, so this is my first ever forum post and I have resorted to this after hours of searching for a fix.

So let's get straight to the point. After changing my drag password thingy, I forgot it. Numerous attempts later to unlock the password, I found myself on this 'Sign in with your google account' screen of doom.

My phone runs 4.0 ice-cream sandwich.

My problems are:
  • WiFi is disabled
  • USB-Debugging is disabled

Things I've already tried:
  • Factory reset on bootloader - the HTC screen just pops up then it freezes on it.
  • Recovery on bootloader - the HTC screen just pops up then it freezes on it.
  • Calling the phone with another phone and trying to drag the notification bar down/ button mashing - nothing happens.
  • Using ADB to unlock it - I can't because USB-Debugging is disabled.
  • Various fixes that use WiFi - WiFi is disabled.

Please, please, please help me! My phone has been locked like this for a month now. I've only had the phone for 6 months and I use(d) it very regularly. I will appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!!

Aquous
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Download a custom recovery
boot it via fastboot (fastboot boot recovery.img)
via adb, mount /data and run these commands:
Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
update secure set value=1 where name='wifi_on';
(if your recovery image doesn't include sqlite3, find a sqlite3 binary for ARM somewhere on the internet, push it to /tmp, and run it from there)

Mr.Stick
Old
(Last edited by Mr.Stick; 16th February 2014 at 02:40 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquous View Post
Download a custom recovery
boot it via fastboot (fastboot boot recovery.img)
via adb, mount /data and run these commands:
Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
update secure set value=1 where name='wifi_on';
(if your recovery image doesn't include sqlite3, find a sqlite3 binary for ARM somewhere on the internet, push it to /tmp, and run it from there)
Doesn't USB-Debugging need to be enabled for that? But thanks, I'll try it anyway. I have no idea what that Sqlite3 thing is about though.

Mr.Stick
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Oh I did post this on Q&A before... oops. Now I've just posted the same one again. Can someone delete this thread?

Aquous
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stick View Post
Doesn't USB-Debugging need to be enabled for that? But thanks, I'll try it anyway. I have no idea what that Sqlite3 thing is about though.
Any decent custom recovery (I recommend 4ext Recovery Touch for Desire S) already has USB debugging enabled. sqlite3 is a database manipulation program, it's needed to access android's internal settings database so that we can turn on wifi

Mr.Stick
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Any decent custom recovery (I recommend 4ext Recovery Touch for Desire S) already has USB debugging enabled. sqlite3 is a database manipulation program, it's needed to access android's internal settings database so that we can turn on wifi
So it's possible to flash the recovery in fastboot without USB-debugging disabled?

Aquous
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
So it's possible to flash the recovery in fastboot without USB-debugging disabled?
Assuming you're either S-OFF or htcdev unlocked (if you're neither, you have to use htc unlock first), you can always flash from fastboot no matter what your OS settings are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquous For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr.Stick
Old
(Last edited by Mr.Stick; 22nd February 2014 at 04:42 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Assuming you're either S-OFF or htcdev unlocked (if you're neither, you have to use htc unlock first), you can always flash from fastboot no matter what your OS settings are.
Okay, so I've installed Clockwork Recovery and mounted /data and everything was going swimmingly until I reached this:

C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\tools>sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
SQLite version 3.7.11 2012-03-20 11:35:50
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='wifi_on';
Error: unable to open database "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databa
ses/settings.db": unable to open database file

Mr.Stick
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Okay, so I've installed Clockwork Recovery and mounted /data and everything was going swimmingly until I reached this:

C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\tools>sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
Error: unable to open database "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databa
All I need is a fix for this then my problem should be solved.

Aquous
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:

Um... you were supposed to run that on your phone, not on your computer, for obvious reasons. Open an adb shell and run the command in there. If you get a command not found error from sqlite3, grab the binary from here - http://bit.ly/sqlite3 - and push it to e.g. /tmp and run it from there.