Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Locked out phone. Google sign-in problem.

OP Mr.Stick

16th February 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Ok, so this is my first ever forum post and I have resorted to this after hours of searching for a fix.

So let's get straight to the point. After changing my drag password thingy, I forgot it. Numerous attempts later to unlock the password, I found myself on this 'Sign in with your google account' screen of doom.

My phone runs 4.0 ice-cream sandwich.

My problems are:
  • WiFi is disabled
  • USB-Debugging is disabled

Things I've already tried:
  • Factory reset on bootloader - the HTC screen just pops up then it freezes on it.
  • Recovery on bootloader - the HTC screen just pops up then it freezes on it.
  • Calling the phone with another phone and trying to drag the notification bar down/ button mashing - nothing happens.
  • Using ADB to unlock it - I can't because USB-Debugging is disabled.
  • Various fixes that use WiFi - WiFi is disabled.

Please, please, please help me! My phone has been locked like this for a month now. I've only had the phone for 6 months and I use(d) it very regularly. I will appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!!
16th February 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 60

181 posts
Download a custom recovery
boot it via fastboot (fastboot boot recovery.img)
via adb, mount /data and run these commands:
Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
update secure set value=1 where name='wifi_on';
(if your recovery image doesn't include sqlite3, find a sqlite3 binary for ARM somewhere on the internet, push it to /tmp, and run it from there)
16th February 2014, 03:14 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquous

Download a custom recovery
boot it via fastboot (fastboot boot recovery.img)
via adb, mount /data and run these commands:

Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
update secure set value=1 where name='wifi_on';
(if your recovery image doesn't include sqlite3, find a sqlite3 binary for ARM somewhere on the internet, push it to /tmp, and run it from there)

Doesn't USB-Debugging need to be enabled for that? But thanks, I'll try it anyway. I have no idea what that Sqlite3 thing is about though.
Last edited by Mr.Stick; 16th February 2014 at 03:40 PM.
19th February 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Oh I did post this on Q&A before... oops. Now I've just posted the same one again. Can someone delete this thread?
21st February 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #5  

181 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stick

Doesn't USB-Debugging need to be enabled for that? But thanks, I'll try it anyway. I have no idea what that Sqlite3 thing is about though.

Any decent custom recovery (I recommend 4ext Recovery Touch for Desire S) already has USB debugging enabled. sqlite3 is a database manipulation program, it's needed to access android's internal settings database so that we can turn on wifi
21st February 2014, 04:21 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:

Any decent custom recovery (I recommend 4ext Recovery Touch for Desire S) already has USB debugging enabled. sqlite3 is a database manipulation program, it's needed to access android's internal settings database so that we can turn on wifi

So it's possible to flash the recovery in fastboot without USB-debugging disabled?
21st February 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #7  

181 posts
Quote:

So it's possible to flash the recovery in fastboot without USB-debugging disabled?

Assuming you're either S-OFF or htcdev unlocked (if you're neither, you have to use htc unlock first), you can always flash from fastboot no matter what your OS settings are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquous For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2014, 03:15 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:

Assuming you're either S-OFF or htcdev unlocked (if you're neither, you have to use htc unlock first), you can always flash from fastboot no matter what your OS settings are.

Okay, so I've installed Clockwork Recovery and mounted /data and everything was going swimmingly until I reached this:

C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\tools>sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
SQLite version 3.7.11 2012-03-20 11:35:50
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='wifi_on';
Error: unable to open database "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databa
ses/settings.db": unable to open database file
Last edited by Mr.Stick; 22nd February 2014 at 05:42 PM.
23rd February 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:

Okay, so I've installed Clockwork Recovery and mounted /data and everything was going swimmingly until I reached this:

C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\tools>sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
Error: unable to open database "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databa

All I need is a fix for this then my problem should be solved.
23rd February 2014, 03:11 PM   |  #10  

181 posts
Quote:

Um... you were supposed to run that on your phone, not on your computer, for obvious reasons. Open an adb shell and run the command in there. If you get a command not found error from sqlite3, grab the binary from here - http://bit.ly/sqlite3 - and push it to e.g. /tmp and run it from there.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread