5,603,729 Members 37,924 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

If I have knox bootloader can I...?

Tip us?
 
anees02
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 205
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sana'a
Default If I have knox bootloader can I...?

If I have knox bootloader can I:-
1) Root my device?
2) Flash different modem?
3) Flash any CM or AOSP ROM?
4) Flash any custom recovery?
I want these things to be clear for me.
Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
 
daniel4653
Old
#2  
daniel4653's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2356
Posts: 7,676
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Yes to all. Except 3 some ppl have trouble flashing different modems.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk


 
Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone
 
SayWhat10
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 198
Posts: 2,383
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami
yeah there area ways to still do that stuff but it'll flag it, so that voids your warranty
 
anees02
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 205
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sana'a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWhat10 View Post
yeah there area ways to still do that stuff but it'll flag it, so that voids your warranty
I don't care about warranty.
I care about my freedom to choose modems and roms and edit my system as I want.
But I see Google android and Samsung in their way to loose more users by their new jails.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
 
cyberweasal
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: dover, delaware
Default yea

supposedly knox was for making the Galaxy an enterprise level security phone. so WTF is the warranty flag all about? right?

cyberweasal


Quote:
Originally Posted by anees02 View Post
I don't care about warranty.
I care about my freedom to choose modems and roms and edit my system as I want.
But I see Google android and Samsung in their way to loose more users by their new jails.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
 
cruise350
Old
#6  
cruise350's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 562
Posts: 1,812
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberweasal View Post
supposedly knox was for making the Galaxy an enterprise level security phone. so WTF is the warranty flag all about? right?

cyberweasal
Well, the knox warranty flag has nothing to do with the phone's warranty. It's purpose is to signal to the knox container that the phone has been tampered with and is no longer able to provide the required security to the phone. Now, since there is no way to reset it like we could 0 out the flash counter with triangle away, it can also allow Samsung to see that your rooted or tampered with your phone so they can deny you warranty service. I haven't seen one post from someone that has been denied warranty service after tripping the knox warranty flag, we just all assume this will be the case since rooting your phone violates your warranty.
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,


Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.6.3.0

 
SayWhat10
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 198
Posts: 2,383
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
Well, the knox warranty flag has nothing to do with the phone's warranty. It's purpose is to signal to the knox container that the phone has been tampered with and is no longer able to provide the required security to the phone. Now, since there is no way to reset it like we could 0 out the flash counter with triangle away, it can also allow Samsung to see that your rooted or tampered with your phone so they can deny you warranty service. I haven't seen one post from someone that has been denied warranty service after tripping the knox warranty flag, we just all assume this will be the case since rooting your phone violates your warranty.
Eh.... Doesn't your first sentence contradict everything else you said?
 
cruise350
Old
#8  
cruise350's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 562
Posts: 1,812
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWhat10 View Post
Eh.... Doesn't your first sentence contradict everything else you said?
No, the Knox warranty flag has nothing to do with the phone's warranty only knox's warranty. The later statements were just the way it is. Samsung has never said your phone's warranty is invalid if the Knox warranty flag is tripped. But, if you read their warranty, it does say if you tampered with your phone than your warranty may be void. So, yes, you can infer that a tripped Knox warranty flag also means your warranty is void.


Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,


Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.6.3.0

 
chrashduff
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 13
Join Date: Feb 2014
cant wait till someone figures out how to reset Knox..then this will get interesting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
No, the Knox warranty flag has nothing to do with the phone's warranty only knox's warranty. The later statements were just the way it is. Samsung has never said your phone's warranty is invalid if the Knox warranty flag is tripped. But, if you read their warranty, it does say if you tampered with your phone than your warranty may be void. So, yes, you can infer that a tripped Knox warranty flag also means your warranty is void.


Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes