Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Review of Spigen Slim Armor case for S4 w/pics!!!

OP vectron

12th May 2013, 05:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,113

2,834 posts
This is a review of Spigen Slim Armor Case for Samsung Galaxy S4: http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/sam...lim-armor.html

When it comes to slim and light weight cases, Spigen never disappoints with their unique and rich styles. But in the past they weren't exactly known for their rugged touch. With their Slim Armor case it looks like they decide to turn the table around. So let's see if they were able to add extra "armor" protection while still maintaining their typical slim design.

Slim Armor is actually consists of two layers. Inner TPU layer surrounds the phone with extra cushion to absorb shock impact and adds extra thickness at the top/bottom bumper beyond the boundaries of Outer PC layer which bounds the sides and the back of the case with hard plastic material. Still, even with two separate layer, case feels very thin. The fitment of both layers is seamless and almost feels like one piece. Every port opening is precisely cutout and perfectly aligned between inner/outer layers and with a phone. What I found especially amazing is that case is actually easier to fit in with a phone while two layers are together. This was a pleasant surprise since I know that a lot of people like to take their cases on and off and when you are dealing with two layers it becomes a hassle to constant align two together. For the purpose of pictures, I demonstrated how the phone looks with inner layer without outer shell, but in everyday use I would recommend keeping both of them together when taking phone out.

One of the details that keeps both interlocked perfectly together are the power and volume buttons. Those are part of TPU inner layer, but made to feel and to perform like hardware buttons. A separate cutout around sides of these buttons makes them very easy to push with a nice tactile feedback, and while aligned with outer PC shell cutout it keeps both layers together. There is not too much to complain about Slim Armor except for the lip around the display. Typically those are designed to keep your phone off the surface when faced down. To my personal taste I found this lip to be very shallow. Actually, it's more shallow around the side edges while a bit more thicker around top/bottom part of the case's bumper cushion. So in theory it will protect your phone screen down from touching a surface, but you will not get as much clearance thus I highly recommend having a decent screen protector when you use this case. For those familiar with Spigen, you know that quality screen protectors is one of their signature products. Another thing to mention, which was actually a pleasant surprise, is a bonus of 3 home button stickers labeled as "jelly bean" buttons. Those come in assortment of 3 colors and will help you personalize your phone even further. The case itself comes in a selection of 5 different colors for the hard outer shell. The one I got was in black, and somewhat a fingerprint magnet. For those who are bothered by this, probably a good idea to go with a lighter color PC shell

Overall, this is a very impressive and high quality case (made in Korea, which I find lately to be of a higher quality than HK built cases). You will still get a slim and light weight design while maintaining a piece of mind in case if you drop your phone. Even so I wish the lip would be thicker to offer a better "armor", bundled with a good screen protector you should be OK.

Here are the pictures of black Slim Armor case I tested with my S4 display model of the phone (thus a slight misalignment of mic port next to micro-usb connector):

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2013, 01:32 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

58 posts
How's the case as far as drop protection go, is the lip high enough that dropping it face first won't crack the screen?
12th May 2013, 01:40 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 119

429 posts
More
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by koraun

How's the case as far as drop protection go, is the lip high enough that dropping it face first won't crack the screen?

Judging from the last pic posted, screen would be hit first.. ._.
12th May 2013, 03:40 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,113

2,834 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentRazor

Judging from the last pic posted, screen would be hit first.. ._.

I did feel friction when case is placed down which suggests there is some minimum clearance. Also, in theory if you drop your phone and it lands flat face down, a bigger lip will only help you on a perfectly flat surface. Any uneven surface will come in contact even with a rugged case. I'm always paranoid about this stuff and have tempered glass on my phone (N2). I would definitely suggest that a screen protector is a must for this case. For example if you place it face down and you have some crumbs or whatever on a table and slide it across - you need extra screen protection to keep display from being scratched. I can also imagine that with tempered glass you will not have any margin at all.

I do want to mention again, I have a display model of S4, not the real phone. But its 1:1 scale and I also read other online reviews suggesting lip is on a shallow side. I would appreciate if more people who have this case will chime in to offer their feedback about Slim Armor. There are a few threads about this case so we gotta have more users with a real S4 and this case. Keep in mind, Spigen is reading these reviews and any feedback will be valuable for them as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2013, 03:54 PM   |  #5  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
More
How about sound? Does the case muffle the speakers at all?
5th May 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #6  
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 90

921 posts
More
Does it get scratched? I want to get the white one but afraid it would get scratches and black marks/lines easily. Can you post pictures of its current status? Scratched or not and how many days used?
8th May 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
It looks like it might.
8th May 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4

12 posts
This is the best case I've ever had. So perfect

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread