5,600,335 Members 34,442 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root will brick my phone after OTA?

Tip us?

fernandodx15
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Root will brick my phone after OTA?

Hi guys, im from latin america and i own a d805 LG G2, i have rooted my phone but i havent installed a custom recovery or a custom rom or anything, just rooted and uninstalled a few apps that came with the carrier. My question is, when the update shows up, it will brick my device because it is rooted? Or do i only lose root acces? I am a little confused at that, sorry for my english, thanks.

Sent from my LG-D805 using xda app-developers app

Art Vanderlay
Old
(Last edited by Art Vanderlay; 7th April 2014 at 09:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
You can't get ota updates if your rooted. It'll say device has been modified. If you really want the update you can try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2432476 and after you'll have to re-root again

fernandodx15
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
You can't get ota updates if your rooted. It'll say device has been modified. If you really want the update you can try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2336392 and after you'll have to re-root again
Thats for LG G2? And all these is necessary? Or can i just factory reset in the stock recovery to erase the root and get the apos again? Or it wont change anything? Thanks

Sent from my LG-D805 using xda app-developers app

zekurosu
Old
Thanks Meter 292
you need to go back to stock rom in order for OTA to work properly

Evolution of my Android:-
Sammy SII < Note N7K < Note II < SIV < Note N9K5 < LG D802

Current ROM:-
Cloudy Stock 1.3 with twrp 2.7 enhanced with SimpleKernel v4

Art Vanderlay
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandodx15 View Post
Thats for LG G2? And all these is necessary? Or can i just factory reset in the stock recovery to erase the root and get the apos again? Or it wont change anything? Thanks
A factory reset won't erase root. A better way of restoring would probably be this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2432476 Its still pretty detailed but those are your only options. Its like removing a tattoo

SuperSport
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 407

DONATE TO ME
Is his device different from ATT Version? I've got ATT D800. Was on D80010o. Rooted. Updated to KitKat D80020c and Root remained. Maybe non-ATT devices are different though.
Tablet: Lenovo IdeaPad Lynx w Win Blue
Current: Black LG G2 D800 - Stock KitKat 4.4.2
MediaFire Share - Mostly Windows Mobile
MEGA Share - Mostly Android
Disclaimer: By using any Files, Packages, Cabs, ROMs, Knowledge, etc, that I share, you are doing so at your own risk. Go Ahead, Live on the Edge!

53 75 70 65 72 53 70 6f 72 74 HEX
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperSport For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]