[Q] Which I777 Rom supports charging using a I9100 battery

20th February 2014, 08:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Hello!! I have a I777 and my battery is almost dead and since I can't find a I777's battery on my country I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a rom (or Kernel) in which I can use and charge a 9100 baterry on my I777 without having the loop issue.

Thanks!!!
21st February 2014, 11:57 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,265

1,284 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorak20

Hello!! I have a I777 and my battery is almost dead and since I can't find a I777's battery on my country I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a rom (or Kernel) in which I can use and charge a 9100 baterry on my I777 without having the loop issue.

Thanks!!!

No rom/kernel package will be able to get around this hardware issue. You'll either have to make do with what you have or simply buy an i777 battery. They're really cheap ($5 or so), check in the Accessories forum for more info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 949

4,310 posts
More
The $5 batteries are all fake, and are exactly the same as i9100 fake batteries. They don't have NFC.
i9100 battery is a fit and if you have a normal one - it should work without bootloops.
My phone has lived with i9100 battery for a couple of months.
21st February 2014, 10:53 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_R1

The $5 batteries are all fake, and are exactly the same as i9100 fake batteries. They don't have NFC.
i9100 battery is a fit and if you have a normal one - it should work without bootloops.
My phone has lived with i9100 battery for a couple of months.

You are right, the cheap battery are all fakes and don't work but anyway, the problem is that I'm from Argentina and because of new government rules related to importations, I cannot buy a i777 from outside and in my country is imposible to find them.

What do you mean by a normal one? I tried an original i9100 on my i777 and I got the loops .

The reason of this post is because long time ago I read, don't remember where, that with some roms the i9100 battery worked ok so I though that maybe something could be shut off o done in the roms/kernels to disable the NFC. I google a lot but I couldn't find anything and unfortunately I don't have much time to go around testing every single rom.

Sooo any help would be much appreciated.

Just in case, I'm using SHOstock3 rom, I cannot ask in his thread due to my "new" status but If anyone can ask him, maybe he can find a way to change something in the room to avoid the loops.

thanks!!!!
22nd February 2014, 02:27 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta

1,284 posts
More
The cheap batteries are not all fake, I'm using one as well as others. It's true NFC capabilities are lost, but who cares: NFC barely worked for this device in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2014, 07:38 AM   |  #6  

4,310 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy

The cheap batteries are not all fake, I'm using one as well as others. It's true NFC capabilities are lost, but who cares: NFC barely worked for this device in the first place.

Define "fake".
For me, "fake" is when it says "SAMSUNG" on the battery, while it's not produced by Samsung, when it says "NFC" on the battery, but there's no NFC chip inside it, and when it states battery capacity, and the battery capacity isn't even 1/2 of the stated.

By all these criteria, the cheap batteries are fake. They don't have NFC chip, they're not produced by Samsung, they're not even the same batteries - you can read on Skyrocket forums, I've dismantled a true Samsung battery vs fake one and compared, it's easy to spot the fake by touch - the real battery fills all the possible space it has, the fake battery has a plastic holder around a smaller battery that's made to look and fit larger space. Of course, physically smaller battery also means - crappy capacity, nowhere near the "official" claim.

If you prefer other terms, like "counterfeit" - I don't mind the term as long as it stresses the right thing: these batteries aren't built by Samsung, aren't built by anyone that builds for Samsung, aren't of any "official" descent and are crappy (which makes their "SAMSUNG" sticker fake, by the way), so anyone who expects them to match the original battery is heading for a big disappointment. And I used 2 of those too, until I got annoyed enough that my wife's phone can't live till the end of the day, found and bought $30 original Samsung battery. Night and day difference. And the original battery is still alive till today.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote:

You are right, the cheap battery are all fakes and don't work but anyway, the problem is that I'm from Argentina and because of new government rules related to importations, I cannot buy a i777 from outside and in my country is imposible to find them.

What do you mean by a normal one? I tried an original i9100 on my i777 and I got the loops .

The reason of this post is because long time ago I read, don't remember where, that with some roms the i9100 battery worked ok so I though that maybe something could be shut off o done in the roms/kernels to disable the NFC. I google a lot but I couldn't find anything and unfortunately I don't have much time to go around testing every single rom.

Sooo any help would be much appreciated.

Just in case, I'm using SHOstock3 rom, I cannot ask in his thread due to my "new" status but If anyone can ask him, maybe he can find a way to change something in the room to avoid the loops.

thanks!!!!

I'm not sure of the reason for bootloops, but I'm quite sure it isn't NFC - because the fake cheap batteries don't have NFC either. The additional contact on the battery board is connected to nothing.
I always ran stock-derived ROMs on the phone (SHOStock mostly, but at some point - some other ROM I've ported from i9100), never had a problem running i9100 battery, both true and fake one.
If you can look at the logcat and pinpoint the failure that sends you into a bootloop - it might help.
Last edited by Jack_R1; 23rd February 2014 at 07:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack_R1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2014, 07:45 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy

The problems is that without NFC on the battery you cannot charge it...don't you have this problem?
Are you using a i777 or a i9100 battery? Which rom are you using?

Thanks!
23rd February 2014, 07:49 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:

Define "fake".
For me, "fake" is when it says "SAMSUNG" on the battery, while it's not produced by Samsung, when it says "NFC" on the battery, but there's no NFC chip inside it, and when it states battery capacity, and the battery capacity isn't even 1/2 of the stated.

By all these criteria, the cheap batteries are fake. They don't have NFC chip, they're not produced by Samsung, they're not even the same batteries - you can read on Skyrocket forums, I've dismantled a true Samsung battery vs fake one and compared, it's easy to spot the fake by touch - the real battery fills all the possible space it has, the fake battery has a plastic holder around a smaller battery that's made to look and fit larger space. Of course, physically smaller battery also means - crappy capacity, nowhere near the "official" claim.

If you prefer other terms, like "counterfeit" - I don't mind the term as long as it stresses the right thing: these batteries aren't built by Samsung, aren't built by anyone that builds for Samsung, aren't of any "official" descent and are crappy (which makes their "SAMSUNG" sticker fake, by the way), so anyone who expects them to match the original battery is heading for a big disappointment. And I used 2 of those too, until I got annoyed enough that my wife's phone can't live till the end of the day, found and bought $30 original Samsung battery. Night and day difference. And the original battery is still alive till today.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

I'm not sure of the reason for bootloops, but I'm quite sure it isn't NFC - because the fake cheap batteries don't have NFC either. The additional contact on the battery board is connected to nothing.
I always ran stock-derived ROMs on the phone (SHOStock mostly, but at some point - some other ROM I've ported from i9100), never had a problem running i9100 battery, both true and fake one.
If you can look at the logcat and pinpoint the failure that sends you into a bootloop - it might help.

No problem, how can I look at the logcat?
23rd February 2014, 07:55 AM   |  #9  

4,310 posts
More
Here, a dismantled fake battery with marking, suggesting that it's the same fake model that is used for i9100. I've examined it under a microscope to make sure, and even on the photo one can almost see it - the leftmost contact has a board lead left with vias, the middle board contacts have vias, the rightmost contact - the one for "NFC" - has neither vias nor board lead, it's just there for show, connected nowhere.

For logcat, just search the web. You need to enable ADB and have drivers in the PC, apps are not good - because you need log from the boot time. One guide, for example:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1726238
There are many more. Search "how to use adb logcat".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140223_095034_small.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2595600  
Last edited by Jack_R1; 23rd February 2014 at 08:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack_R1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2014, 02:00 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta

1,284 posts
More
Quote:

If you prefer other terms, like "counterfeit" - I don't mind the term as long as it stresses the right thing: these batteries aren't built by Samsung, aren't built by anyone that builds for Samsung, aren't of any "official" descent and are crappy (which makes their "SAMSUNG" sticker fake, by the way), so anyone who expects them to match the original battery is heading for a big disappointment. And I used 2 of those too

Good points, and good information; so by definition I should have said "counterfeit". Thanks for clarifying some things.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Quote:

The problems is that without NFC on the battery you cannot charge it...don't you have this problem?
Are you using a i777 or a i9100 battery? Which rom are you using?

This is the one I'm using - 100% counterfeit but works fine. Does not support NFC but have never had any problems with it. It's cheap for a reason, as it's most definitely not 2200mAh (pretty much stock 1650mAh, or close to it), but it functions well enough for me.
Last edited by SteveMurphy; 23rd February 2014 at 02:26 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread