Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Unable to write to sd card

OP cmdauria

21st February 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 235
 
573 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
More
I think I have seen this addressed somewhere before but I can not find it.

I have just updated to KitKat and am using Freeza's Stockish rom. When I try to run a restore in Mybackup, I am getting an error that says, Unable to write to sd card. Make sure the sd card is inserted properly, is not connected to your pc, and is not full.

When I go into Es file explorer, it shows all the files there.
How do I fix this?

I also see in Titanium backup that is says sd card not writable.



I GOT IT!!!
Last edited by cmdauria; 22nd February 2014 at 12:40 AM.
22nd February 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #2  
tonyevo52's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 368
 
613 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdauria

I think I have seen this addressed somewhere before but I can not find it.

I have just updated to KitKat and am using Freeza's Stockish rom. When I try to run a restore in Mybackup, I am getting an error that says, Unable to write to sd card. Make sure the sd card is inserted properly, is not connected to your pc, and is not full.

When I go into Es file explorer, it shows all the files there.
How do I fix this?

I also see in Titanium backup that is says sd card not writable.



I GOT IT!!!

Did you figure this out? Having the same problem.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
22nd February 2014, 04:34 AM   |  #3  
mjs2011's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,731
 
4,410 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
I'm curious to know if there's a workaround for those who aren't rooted.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
22nd February 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 235
 
573 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyevo52

Did you figure this out? Having the same problem.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

This seems to be a common problem on the deodex rom. I will post what I did to fix it. Just know when you go into a file explorer it is going to show 2 external sd cards. They are both the same, it just shows 2 now. You have to do a simple build prop edit with a program like root explorer. Just navigate to system/etc/permissions/platform.xml. long press on platform.xml and select open in text editor. Under WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE...Add this entry... <group gid="media_rw" />


Sent from my SM-N900P using xda premium
22nd February 2014, 07:38 AM   |  #5  
tonyevo52's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 368
 
613 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Yea, I tried @micmars xml edit, it worked to create folders on the SD card but I still couldn't save twrp files to my SD card in recovery.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
22nd February 2014, 07:44 AM   |  #6  
caesar_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 254
 
595 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
I'm having this issue as well on official 4.4.2 rooted. Can't copy files from internal to external in both root Explorer and es file manager.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app
22nd February 2014, 10:24 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 235
 
573 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyevo52

Yea, I tried @micmars xml edit, it worked to create folders on the SD card but I still couldn't save twrp files to my SD card in recovery.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The fix that I found allows me to do anything with the sd card.
22nd February 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #8  
caesar_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 254
 
595 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
I get the error when initially trying to copy the files.. seems like the error rests with the internal storage and not the sd card.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app
22nd February 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 235
 
573 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
More
Here's an interesting read.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/02...micro-sd-card/

The "Problem" is not actually a problem apparently. Google actually designed KitKat this way. They are trying to keep as much as possible on internal storage.
24th February 2014, 06:31 AM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
I'm also on Freza's Stockish ROM and had the same problem. I can confirm that the platform.xml edit appears to fix the problem of not being able to write to the external SD.

But strangely, Titanium Backup still reports that the backup folder is not-writeable, but then when I run a backup it finishes successfully.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes