Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,698 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Lost Internet after flash

Tip us?
 
NickBroomfield
Old
(Last edited by NickBroomfield; 24th February 2014 at 02:53 AM.) Reason: Forgot something.
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default [Q] Lost Internet after flash

I was trying to flash an updated version of the ROM i had, but a verizon message came up, essentially telling me my bootloader was still locked. I looked it up, and the fix is supposedly flashing it back to stock, which I tried, but it has no internet connection (wifi or service) and it loaded the ROM i had been trying to install earlier.

I double checked my model number, to see if that did anything, and it's changed from what it was when I flashed the first ROM, so i tried flashing the firmware for that model, but Odin just gives me a fail message for that, so i can get my ROM to run, but my internet is borked, and I can't get it back to stock to see if that fixes it.

Because I can't get internet access it's screwing up a lot of my attempts to fix it, and my computer refuses to read it, so I can't do anything from that end.

Also, while my WiFi refuses to turn on (switch pops back to grey after trying to turn it on) my service bars act like they're receiving, changing up and down, but they're greyed out and the carrier name is 'Empty'.
 
riker147
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 894
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBroomfield View Post
I was trying to flash an updated version of the ROM i had, but a verizon message came up, essentially telling me my bootloader was still locked. I looked it up, and the fix is supposedly flashing it back to stock, which I tried, but it has no internet connection (wifi or service) and it loaded the ROM i had been trying to install earlier.

I double checked my model number, to see if that did anything, and it's changed from what it was when I flashed the first ROM, so i tried flashing the firmware for that model, but Odin just gives me a fail message for that, so i can get my ROM to run, but my internet is borked, and I can't get it back to stock to see if that fixes it.

Because I can't get internet access it's screwing up a lot of my attempts to fix it, and my computer refuses to read it, so I can't do anything from that end.

Also, while my WiFi refuses to turn on (switch pops back to grey after trying to turn it on) my service bars act like they're receiving, changing up and down, but they're greyed out and the carrier name is 'Empty'.
Going to need more info.
What is your original build?
What rom were you trying to flash?
How are you trying to flash it?
etc..........

Sent from my NCC-1701 using Tapatalk 4
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental
 
NickBroomfield
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
Going to need more info.
What is your original build?
What rom were you trying to flash?
How are you trying to flash it?
etc..........
Original Build: if you mean what I was using before flash, I can't find the link to it, it was one of the first stock android ROMs for the GS4. If you mean prior to that, it was the standard Samsung TouchWiz the GS4 comes with.

I was trying to flash the ROM found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2340783

I flashed it using TWRP > wipe data/cache, factory reset > install zip > wipe dalvik cache > boot. When that didn't seem to work, I tried flashing stock using Odin, as I can't get the zips onto my phone now.
 
riker147
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 894
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBroomfield View Post
Original Build: if you mean what I was using before flash, I can't find the link to it, it was one of the first stock android ROMs for the GS4. If you mean prior to that, it was the standard Samsung TouchWiz the GS4 comes with.

I was trying to flash the ROM found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2340783

I flashed it using TWRP > wipe data/cache, factory reset > install zip > wipe dalvik cache > boot. When that didn't seem to work, I tried flashing stock using Odin, as I can't get the zips onto my phone now.

I mean the last official build the phone was on before you started flashing. (MDK, ME7, MI1, MJ7 or MK2)
Did you ever take any OTA's?

When you say TWRP, do you mean TWRP with Safestrap or just TWRP?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental
 
NickBroomfield
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
I mean the last official build the phone was on before you started flashing. (MDK, ME7, MI1, MJ7 or MK2)
Did you ever take any OTA's?

When you say TWRP, do you mean TWRP with Safestrap or just TWRP?
Erm, I believe it was MDK, but I'm not certain, and I wouldn't know how to go about checking that retroactively if I could.

I didn't knowingly take any OTA's

Just TWRP.
 
Mistertac
Old
#6  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1256
Posts: 2,906
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBroomfield View Post
Erm, I believe it was MDK, but I'm not certain, and I wouldn't know how to go about checking that retroactively if I could.

I didn't knowingly take any OTA's

Just TWRP.
OK so if your phone was running Twrp, and not SafeStrap twrp, we can then probably assume your phone was on MDK.
What tar file did you use to Odin?


Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
NickBroomfield
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
OK so if your phone was running Twrp, and not SafeStrap twrp, we can then probably assume your phone was on MDK.
What tar file did you use to Odin?
I don't know what you want exactly, the name of the file I tried to use to flash back to stock is 'SCH-I545_MD2_423399_Kernel.tar', I can't link because xda says I can't link outside sources until 10 posts, and I'm a tad new.
 
Mistertac
Old
#8  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1256
Posts: 2,906
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBroomfield View Post
I don't know what you want exactly, the name of the file I tried to use to flash back to stock is 'SCH-I545_MD2_423399_Kernel.tar', I can't link because xda says I can't link outside sources until 10 posts, and I'm a tad new.
OK so that looks like the pre release kernel and not the stock firmware file. So that may explain why you're having issues still.


Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

You need to go here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2289325
Click the link in that op then click on the TAR folder once your on that site it sends you to.
That's the mdk stock firmware

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
NickBroomfield
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
OK so that looks like the pre release kernel and not the stock firmware file. So that may explain why you're having issues still.
Oh, I did flash this 'SCH-I545_MDK_562219_Kernel.tar' afterwards, which didn't make anything better or worse.
 
Mistertac
Old
#10  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1256
Posts: 2,906
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBroomfield View Post
Oh, I did flash this 'SCH-I545_MDK_562219_Kernel.tar' afterwards, which didn't make anything better or worse.
Those files youve been mentioning are from here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290798
Those are needed to r
ROOT the phone AFTER you flash the stock firmware I linked you to.

So am I confused here or are you trying to get it back to stock MDK....or just trying to root the phone?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes