FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 26 – May 2)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Great Camera Hardware, or Software?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on phone cameras. Come with your opinions and feel … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 25 – May 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Lollipop Xposed Framework Alpha 4 Released

Good news to all Xposed Framework fans. XDA Senior Recognized … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

TouchWiz 4.3 on a Tablet is a Screw Job

22nd February 2014, 11:37 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30

More
How do I know? I just played with the 4.4 skin at best buy on the Pro models. They seemed to have fixed nearly every design issue I had with 4.3 on my 2014. It really feels like a tablet skin instead of a phone skin. I'm glad Samsung fixed it but why do such a terrible job in the first place? Was my $600 not worth their time?

Incredibly excited for 4.4 update. It will be like getting a brand new device! I really hope they have some kind of option to remap the menu button to a task switching button. That would be the ultimate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stocklone For This Useful Post: [ View ]

23rd February 2014, 12:08 AM |#2  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Two words:

Nova. Launcher.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stm8 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2014, 01:40 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
I checked the pro series 4.4 skins in best buy too. Although the skin seems to be more tablet oriented, the TouchWiz lag still exists. The device was still not snappy enough
23rd February 2014, 02:21 AM |#4  
Flag North Branch
Thanks Meter: 148

Donate to Me
More
Agree... Nova launcher fixes everything. Buy it once and you'll have it on every device you own.
23rd February 2014, 03:09 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Just bought Nova With the $25 credit they gave me to the google play store. I've Used the free version for ages. Finally broke down and bought the pro.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
23rd February 2014, 03:13 AM |#6  
Flag North Branch

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring002

Just bought Nova With the $25 credit they gave me to the google play store. I've Used the free version for ages. Finally broke down and bought the pro.

Haha you literally just inspired me to do the same. Had the 25.00 credit and then some from the Google survey app. In case anyone didn't know download the Google survey app and get free Google play credits. Totally worth it.
23rd February 2014, 03:22 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellEstridge25

Haha you literally just inspired me to do the same. Had the 25.00 credit and then some from the Google survey app. In case anyone didn't know download the Google survey app and get free Google play credits. Totally worth it.

You're Welcome =)

23rd February 2014, 03:49 AM |#8  
Flag North Branch

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring002

You're Welcome =)

Haha ty!
23rd February 2014, 03:58 AM |#9  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,411

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocklone

How do I know? I just played with the 4.4 skin at best buy on the Pro models. They seemed to have fixed nearly every design issue I had with 4.3 on my 2014. It really feels like a tablet skin instead of a phone skin. I'm glad Samsung fixed it but why do such a terrible job in the first place? Was my $600 not worth their time?

Incredibly excited for 4.4 update. It will be like getting a brand new device! I really hope they have some kind of option to remap the menu button to a task switching button. That would be the ultimate.

I played with a N12 at BB and came away with a different opinion. Most of the differences between it and the N10.1-14 were pretty minor and aesthetic. M-UX is of course new but did you look at the number and type of widgets available? Pretty sparse. What used to be My Magazine is now broken up so each category in what was the "News" section are now individual widgets. There's no Facebook for the Social widget either just like My Magazine. There's e-mail, calendar, and all the S Apps like Hub, Apps, WatchOn etc. There's Hancom widgets but we're probably not getting it (unless you side load it as explained in the apps section of the forum). Not much else. And at CES there were mini tiles shown that acted like shortcuts to a bunch of common/popular apps; gone. Unless Samsung's got big future plans for stocking M-UX with widgets and shortcuts I'd be fine without having a mandatory page of it on my home screen.

In terms of TW (now "classic") the settings menus and some others have been freshened and the notification panel drop down has been reformatted/resized so it's more appropriate for a tablet. There are more Pen Window apps and the way you launch multitasking's been revised to "swipe from the side" which now conflicts with other apps (EG: Astro) that also swipe from the side. You can now also cascade (overlay) Multi View windows which was a N10.1-12 feature that got left out of the N10.1-14 launch ROM.

What other major changes or differences did you notice that I missed?

As for Samsung's interpretation of 4.4 over 4.3 I've been using an "official" AT&T 4.4 ROM for about a month on my N3. The only functional changes are the location and wireless control panels have been re-worked so they are much clearer and easier to interpret and the lock screen has a "one app" option that's set to camera by default but can be changed to any app. It can also be set to "4.3 style" which I chose because there are more options including launching five apps from the lock screen. The notification bar icons are white (wow! ), there's a new slightly revised default system font, and there are some minor UI graphic changes. You have to look pretty hard to see the differences between 4.3 and 4.4 as designed by Samsung. The biggest difference I've seen is my battery life went up and the N3 which was already fluid on 4.3 became more so. Having played with M-UX and come away meh, performance improvements are what I'm looking forward to most in our update. That along with some of the cleaned up menus and new Multi View functionality.
23rd February 2014, 08:40 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 388

More
I don't even know anymore what touchwiz looks like even though i have a samsung smartphone and the note 10.1 so many great launchers around.
I'm still looking forward to 4.4 because of the redesigned settings and notification. And hopefully bug fixes. And i think it would be the first time i actually have the most recent android version on one of my devices...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread