Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] When will 12.2 Pro be avaialble? Does Samsung upgrade large tablet every year?

OP hajime_android

27th January 2014, 10:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Considering to get the Note 10.1 2014 or the 12.2 Note Pro. Is it true that the 12.2 Note Pro will be available for purchase in March? Somewhere I read that it will be the first week of March. During this waiting period, I am considering to get the iPad Mini Retina Display or iPad Air or Note 10.1 2014 and when the 12.2 Note Pro comes out, do a trade-in immediately when the 12.2 Note Pro is out. Do you expect that all the problems (e.g. lag, when the power is low, cannot use the device even it is plugged in to the electric socket because charging is slow, etc.) with the current 10.1 2014 will be fixed in 12.2 Note Pro? I read that recharging on the 10.1 2014 is slow but Samsung has not implemented faster charging via USB 3.0.
Last edited by hajime_android; 27th January 2014 at 11:18 AM.
27th January 2014, 02:13 PM   |  #2  
Member
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 13
 
84 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Latest rumor is for a Feb 14 release of the Pro series. Rumor is based on an internal Samsung memo restricting employee vacations that weekend.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to gloster2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th January 2014, 02:16 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
So it is better to wait until then to see how it goes?
27th January 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks Meter: 151
 
730 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime_android

So it is better to wait until then to see how it goes?

What do you want?

The 10.1 and 12.2 are very different in size, if you need a bigger tablet your better off just waiting.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.
27th January 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
If possible, I want both the 12.2 and 8" versions.
27th January 2014, 03:34 PM   |  #6  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400
 
8,972 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster2

Rumor is based on an internal Samsung memo restricting employee vacations that weekend.

The Tab|Pro 8.4 and 10.1 are the same price as the iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air respectively. The Note|Pro 12 prices are set at a new high for Android tablets. These aren't going to be jumping off the shelves; especially to the point of needing more staff to handle the throngs of anxious customers. If you break it down and de-emotionalize it the Tab/Note|Pro's they're just another set of high-end Android tablets with top tier h/w specs, a new user interface, and a bunch of included s/w that's all provided by third parties that are already available today for any Android tablet. That might be really exciting for us (N10.1-14 owners) and enthusiasts but does anyone here think Samsung's 2014 premium tablets are going to turn the market on end and have Apple quaking in their boots? I think they'll do well (+/-10-15M sold this year including the N10.1-14) but those aren't big numbers in the greater scheme of things when there will be +300M mobile devices sold this year by Samsung.
28th January 2014, 01:47 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
California
Thanks Meter: 52
 
389 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
and yeah
at this point I expect the high-end to be updated each year. This year got the screen on the 10.1 from junk to quality resolution. Samsung should have a process-shrink on their chips in the next year, so likely higher-performance at lower power consumption chips will be available a year from now. I'll probably skip the next generation (unless it blends and makes ice cream) but my wife's 1st gen nexus 7 will be ready to be replaced in the next generation of 7".

On the size side, after a month with a 10", I would not want larger in a tablet. I can just barely palm the 10" in portrait mode. I love the larger screen compared to a 7", but the 7" fits in a jacket pocket and the 10" will not.
28th January 2014, 02:15 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Anybody knows why Samsung does not make the Note Pro 8.4 available at the same time? Do they want us to buy the 12.2 first and when we feel that it is too heavy, they release the Note Pro 8.4?

Although I need a laptop to run engineer and CAD applications, most of the time I could do the web browsing and document typing/reading on a tablet I suppose. The Note Pro 8.4 is good to use when I am waiting at the bus stop or on the bus. The 12.2 is good when I use it at the restaurant while waiting for the foods.
28th January 2014, 02:18 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

The Tab|Pro 8.4 and 10.1 are the same price as the iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air respectively. The Note|Pro 12 prices are set at a new high for Android tablets. These aren't going to be jumping off the shelves; especially to the point of needing more staff to handle the throngs of anxious customers. If you break it down and de-emotionalize it the Tab/Note|Pro's they're just another set of high-end Android tablets with top tier h/w specs, a new user interface, and a bunch of included s/w that's all provided by third parties that are already available today for any Android tablet. That might be really exciting for us (N10.1-14 owners) and enthusiasts but does anyone here think Samsung's 2014 premium tablets are going to turn the market on end and have Apple quaking in their boots? I think they'll do well (+/-10-15M sold this year including the N10.1-14) but those aren't big numbers in the greater scheme of things when there will be +300M mobile devices sold this year by Samsung.

I would prefer the Samsung eventually as I can make phone calls using the Pro 10.1 and 12.2. I can also access flash flash websites, have additional memory and most importantly S-pen.

Can anybody confirm whether or not the Pro 12.2 has native phone calling and receiving capability? I plan to get a headphone with a mic. Thanks.
28th January 2014, 02:23 AM   |  #10  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400
 
8,972 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime_android

I would prefer the Samsung eventually as I can make phone calls using the Pro 10.1 and 12.2. I can also access flash flash websites, have additional memory and most importantly S-pen.

Can anybody confirm whether or not the Pro 12.2 has native phone calling and receiving capability? I plan to get a headphone with a mic. Thanks.

Almost all Samsung's tablets come in 3G and/or 4G versions which have a Dialer and MMS app. Exceptions being the U.S. and Turkey. I have a 3G N10.1-14 imported from Latin America.

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes