Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 45,622 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No stock recovery?

Tip us?

Mbuxton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default No stock recovery?

I just rooted my Nexus using Wug's toolkit. When I got to the part after you unlock where you have to hold power and volume up to wipe the device, nothing happened and I got stuck in a bootloop. I fixed it by using the toolkit to revert to an OEM image, but even when it was stock, power and volume up does nothing. Am I missing the stock recovery?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2599
Are you sure you're not hitting power down?
Holding volume up while powering on the device brings you to bootloader mode, from here you can get to recovery. Even if you had no recovery it would get you to bootloader mode. And if you had no bootloader the tablet would show zero signs of life whatsoever
So either you're not pressing keys correct or keys are broken
Also I would advice to stay away from toolkits, often these are far more trouble than they are worth, especially for nexus devices.
If you are able to boot to your stock os, which it sounds like you can, turn on USB debugging and open a terminal on PC
adb reboot bootloader
Get you to the same spot as the key press does

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mbuxton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

I've tried every combination of key presses. I can get to the bootloader and select recovery, I get to the android with red exclamation point but volume + power up just reboots the tablet. Volume + power down gets me to the bootloader with just "Start" and "Downloading, do not turn off target". The tab is working fine with root applied, I just can't get to stock recovery.

XxLordxX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 938

DONATE TO ME
Hi,

When the android with red exclamation mark appears you have to press Power and after some seconds (while holding power) you press volume up. If that doesn't do the work try flashing stock recovery again .

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10

Mbuxton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, but I tried that button press with no luck and even tried an app which claims to boot into recovery to no avail. It seems to be missing. I've also tried flashing stock recovery with wug's toolkit and it still seems to not be there. Not sure whether I should flash a custom recovery or whether that will mess things up further

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2599
I wouldn't use a toolkit, just use fastboot. And I would recommend a custom recovery such as twrp as it has far more options stock is okay too
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img
Now you can just boot to new recovery from bootloader or when in the os just use adb if you're having issues
adb reboot recovery

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app