5,604,050 Members 46,407 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

True expandable storage for n7.2?

Tip us?

prichm1992
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default True expandable storage for n7.2?

A passerby nexus user I met at a bus station showed me something very very cool he (seemed to have) accomplished with his n7.2 deb.

This is what he says he did.

Took a thick rubber case for it, a 32gb flash drive, and an otg cable. Stripped all unnecessary plastic from the flash drive and USB in port of the otg cable and then completely stripped the cable itself of rubber, leaving 3 very thin rubber wires and nearly naked ports. He cookie cut rubber out of the thick case for the bare, now plugged in flash drive, to rest in the back of the case and for the wires to reach it from the micro port. Then he cut the chunks of rubber very thin and super glued them over the flash drive and wires on the inside and outside of the case. Bam, expandable storage n7.2. I looked at it, and it seemed to check out. He even mounted an snes game into snes9x from the drive. Looked a bit sloppy, but it sounded awesome.

Question is, could this ACTUALLY be done by the average user? I love the idea, myself.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

mdamaged
Old
Thanks Meter 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by prichm1992 View Post
A passerby nexus user I met at a bus station showed me something very very cool he (seemed to have) accomplished with his n7.2 deb.

This is what he says he did.

Took a thick rubber case for it, a 32gb flash drive, and an otg cable. Stripped all unnecessary plastic from the flash drive and USB in port of the otg cable and then completely stripped the cable itself of rubber, leaving 3 very thin rubber wires and nearly naked ports. He cookie cut rubber out of the thick case for the bare, now plugged in flash drive, to rest in the back of the case and for the wires to reach it from the micro port. Then he cut the chunks of rubber very thin and super glued them over the flash drive and wires on the inside and outside of the case. Bam, expandable storage n7.2. I looked at it, and it seemed to check out. He even mounted an snes game into snes9x from the drive. Looked a bit sloppy, but it sounded awesome.

Question is, could this ACTUALLY be done by the average user? I love the idea, myself.

Average user? Call me jaded, but no way. Can it be done by someone mechanically inclined?, I have no doubt, I'm sure I could do it, but from the way it sounds that it'll look, I'll stick to my meenova.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Teach a man to set a fire, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.

prichm1992
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
If only there were an official case... I'm just remembering a 128gb flash drive I saw at a used computer store. I'd love a 150gb nexus, no matter how ugly it was. I'm sure someone will think of a prettier way eventually though

mdamaged
Old
Thanks Meter 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by prichm1992 View Post
If only there were an official case... I'm just remembering a 128gb flash drive I saw at a used computer store. I'd love a 150gb nexus, no matter how ugly it was. I'm sure someone will think of a prettier way eventually though

I've always envisioned a snap-on chin, but i'd be concerned with the extra stress on the charge port. The other solution, though not as portable, is using wireless storage like the widrive, seems small enough that one could maybe fit it inside a case behind the nexus device.

Also the solution you posted, is he able to still use the port normally? Like for charging, adb and other OTG operations? I'd like to have seen a picture of that.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Teach a man to set a fire, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.