FORUMS

What Do You Think About Fingerprint Scanners?

More and more phones are featuring fingerprint scanners, and with many promising … more

What’s Next for Samsung and Its Flagships?

If we were to say that the Galaxy S6 was a leap of faith made by Samsung, we … more

The Ultimate Showcase of dBrand Skins

In the search for ways to protect, accessorize, and personalize; a user has many options. One … more

Huawei’s Rapid Rise to Third Place in the Smartphone Race

Huawei has quickly grown to become one of the world’s biggest … more

Dual Boot Linux or Windows

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By jraft00, Junior Member on 24th February 2014, 10:34 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello everyone,

I wanted to first just say that I am very new to the android community and this is my first experience as I have been an apple user forever. My end goal is to be able to dual boot android with either windows, or a version of Linux. I am wanting to install the tablet in the dash of my car and run a program call "rom raider" so that I log real time data and tune my car at will. I have already unlocked and rooted the device, which was a learning experience in itself. I am just needing some direction as to which would be more stable to dual boot (windows/Linux). How exactly this process works. An anything else that I might need to know while I continue t try my hand at this project. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 
 
24th February 2014, 11:46 PM |#2  
Member
Flag Hillsboro, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraft00

Hello everyone,

I wanted to first just say that I am very new to the android community and this is my first experience as I have been an apple user forever. My end goal is to be able to dual boot android with either windows, or a version of Linux. I am wanting to install the tablet in the dash of my car and run a program call "rom raider" so that I log real time data and tune my car at will. I have already unlocked and rooted the device, which was a learning experience in itself. I am just needing some direction as to which would be more stable to dual boot (windows/Linux). How exactly this process works. An anything else that I might need to know while I continue t try my hand at this project. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You'll be able to use MultiROM to boot to Ubuntu, but I'm not aware of any ported Windows OS.

Of course this requires Unlocking, Rooting, and installation of a MultiROM kernel.

Have fun, Read,Read,Read before you start.
24th February 2014, 11:54 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamberg

You'll be able to use MultiROM to boot to Ubuntu, but I'm not aware of any ported Windows OS.

Of course this requires Unlocking, Rooting, and installation of a MultiROM kernel.

Have fun, Read,Read,Read before you start.


Thanks for that information. Do you have any suggestions on where I could start? I have been looking in the LinuxonAndroid Project, but being a new user the instructions are a little confusing.
25th February 2014, 11:50 PM |#4  
Member
Flag Hillsboro, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraft00

Thanks for that information. Do you have any suggestions on where I could start? I have been looking in the LinuxonAndroid Project, but being a new user the instructions are a little confusing.


Here are several links that you can use for your education and utility:

Toolkit: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Videos for using the toolkit:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2381698

Main Forum Nexus 7 (2013) : http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7-2013

Android general education thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=709220

More explanation than you probably want, check out post #4 for special terms:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2220397

Comprehensive Glossary:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1466228

HAVE FUN!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes