Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,563 Members 45,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Reference] Droid Incredible 2 GSM Roms, Patches, and Unlocking help.

Tip us?

LiquidSmokeX64
Old
(Last edited by LiquidSmokeX64; 22nd October 2012 at 05:25 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 248
Default [Reference] Droid Incredible 2 GSM Roms, Patches, and Unlocking help.

Ok now I know there are a few posts about this issue.

I have recently switched to Verizon so my GSM support will be very limited but will provide help still if I can

Edit: I no longer have an Incredible 2 so my support will be limited to past experience, but as always I will still continue to help as much as possible.

What I'm trying to do is make a list of tested roms with full GSM support.

I know a lot of people unlock this phone hoping to flash a new rom, but unfortunately not many roms have full GSM support as of yet

**Note**
If you are a T-Mobile or AT&T customer (possibly other carriers as well). The best you will get is Edge network. 30 KB/s at best data speed. This is known and there's nothing we can do about it.

As of today (8/1/2012) these are the roms I know have, and have tested for GSM functionality. I will add to this list as I test new roms.
If you know of one I don't and can confirm its GSM ready let me know an I'll add it to the list.
================================================== ==================
A few have been wanting to know how to unlock your Incredible 2 for non-Verizon sim cards. So by request I have this to add.

In order to fully unlock your phone simply do this.

1.(Optional) Root and S-off the phone via Revolutionary.

2. Go to HTCimeiunlock.com and enter your IMEI number, carrier (Verizon) and check out. Your unlock code should be emailed to you within the hour, it took less than 15 minutes for me.

3. After receiving your Unlock code, go into your phones settings. Open up Security, there should be an option to enable/disable sim lock.
Choose disable Sim Lock, enter the unlock code here, then after you finish the phone will reboot automatically, and after it boots back up, you are unlocked permanently. Feel free to insert whatever sim card you want now.

4. After unlocking you may flash whatever from you want without EVER having to unlock again. This is a ONE time thing. No matter what you do at this point your phone will ALWAYS be unlocked, switch roms as much as you like, it will not affect your unlock status.

= Confirmed Stock Roms =

RMK vivow gingersense 4.08.605.3 r1
andyBONESTOCK 5.10.605.9
Stock 2.3.4 version 6.xx

= Confirmed Customized Roms =

DKStunna108 CM 9.1.0 Global
DKStunna108 CM 10
SkyRaider Zeus 1.3
Carbonite Fusion Deux Rev-B
Cyanogen 7.1.0.1 & nightlys
Lefty's CM 7.2 KANG builds
TSM vivow PoolParty 1.6.1
TSM GingerBang Vanilla 3.0
Sabatoge Sense (all versions)
Virtous Unity 2.39 with GSM patch
NTSH ICS Beta 1 with GSM patch
ICS Merry Christmas build
TP ICS Beta Build 1 with GSM patch
TP ICS Beta Builds 2, 3 and 6
Aeroevan CM9 Kang (up till 3-13-12 build) w/GSM patch
Protekk ICS AOKP VivoW
Aeroevan CM7, CM9 and CM10 UNOFFICIAL builds
Liquid Smooth 3.2
Condemned CM7
CM 7.2 Official
CM 7.2 RC UNOFFICIAL
* MIUI 1.12.9 +
Condemned CM7
UKB (see post 4 in thread)
Nitsuj17's MIUI 4 (AOSP trick)
Incredible Sensation revived test 1
IC Tazz

=Confirmed Sense 3.5 roms=

Incredible 2 HD rls 1.1 w/GSM patch & post apn patch.
Mikrunny 1.03 World Edition Test 1 (it is buggy but DOES have GSM support built in).

================================================== =================[*] An easy GSM temp fix for anyone who needs it: Namely MIUI users

Step 1: Dial *#*#4636#*#* to get into test mode
Step 2: Phone Information > Set preferred network type: GSM only. Then your phone will start crashing, until you do the step 3 fix.
Step 3:
> adb shell (you can use a terminal emulator as well and it works fine)
# su
# sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 'update secure set value="1" where name="preferred_network_mode"'
# reboot
Now GSM works.
**Note** you can also do this in a Terminal Emulator as well and it works the same. And you may have to go to Network operators afterwards then choose Select Automatically
To get accurate signal bar follow these steps.
Using build.prop Editor, edit the build prop "ro.telephony.ril.v3". In the Property Key add: ",signalstrength" onto datacall to look like this: datacall,signalstrength
Press save and reboot. I cleared dalvik and cache also... Don't know if this is needed or not for those that are using the sqlite3 fix.

This worked for me, even for Nitsuj17's MIUI v4 Rom.
Unfortunately didn't worked with Sense Based Roms except UKB by switching the 1 for a 3
Note 2: If you don't use Verizon's network you will have to configure your APN settings manually, or download APN Manager and install that way.

T-Mobile US Apn settings.

Name: T-Mobile US
APN: epc.tmobile.com
MMSC: http://moms.msg.eng. t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
APN Type: default,supl,mms
LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE BLANK
Enjoy
Anybody who wishes to help me with this thread is more than welcome to.

Thanks in advance to all who chip in on this project, and to all the devs that make the roms. You guys ROCK!
Thanks very much for all your guys help with this so far. With any luck non-verizon customers will have the ability to use these fine roms without worry soon.

If I helped you in any way, please remember to hit the thanks button
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to LiquidSmokeX64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zax_Was_Here
Old
Thanks Meter 20
i dont think devs are removing it from their roms, its that sense 3.5 is only on cdma phones as of right now i believe, meaning gsm support is hard to implement on the phones.

i'm no dev, so correct me if i'm wrong on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zax_Was_Here For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LiquidSmokeX64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 248
well I'm not so sure. On RCMix 4.0 Energized Blue Edition it seemed like there is some sort of gsm options in the tweeks menu but its very confusing of how it actually works. Also theres no apn settings either.

trkaaa
Old
(Last edited by trkaaa; 24th December 2011 at 05:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSmokeX64 View Post
I would like ask the devs here to PLEASE PLEASE stop removing GSM / Sim Card support, or at least provide a way of adding it back into your roms I beg of you, not everyone uses CDMA.

Especially for the Sense 3.5 roms. These ones in particular NEED GSM support.

• the reason that developers don't activate the GSM for Global Phone is as Rmk stated " it ( GSM) could be done but it will disable CDMA Radio permanently " , note also that CDMA is very Complex programming compared to GSM . Developers will then prefer to develop roms for the primary use " which is Verizon CDMA Phone "
  • first of All , All Sense 3,5 Roms with new Base 1.05 have Partial GSM Capability , it means you will have GSM Signal , and can send and receive Calls , i didn't test messaging . BUT NO MOBILE DATA
  • to get a Stable GSM Signal you should adjust setting in phone information to GSM Only Mode ( this mode forces 2G only even if 3G is available ) .
  • as long as there is no APN menu inside setting to input your APN , Mobile Data will not work even if you used APK's from the market to input your APN
  • there is only one Rom Sense 3.5 that has Perfect GSM ( Signal and Mobile data ) , But has some Bugs and one of them is very annoying , and the developer moved to another newer Rom now , this means Bugs stay
  • i installed a ton of roms and tested them all for GSM , my guess is the nearest that would do that is Virtuous Affinity ( if it could be done ) , because it is the ONLY sense 3.5 new Base 1.05 that Supports the original Global Phone firmware Commands ( EPST , testing mode, Diagnostic mode ) and behaves exactly like it
  • Virtous Unity 2.39 has a GSM patch and reported working by users who try it
hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to trkaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

devator22
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Newt's incredible sensation has gsm support, I believe. His 3d might as well. Those are both sense 3.0 though. Reason for no gsm on 3.5 is as others have stated, the roms are not from global phones. The devs aren't removing it, it was never there to begin with. Newt has said he will work on gsm soon, but to code it into a cdma rom is difficult and time consuming.

Sent from my mobile typewriter with tapatalk
Remember, clicking the thanks button encourages me to help more

trkaaa
Old
(Last edited by trkaaa; 24th December 2011 at 06:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by devator22 View Post
has gsm support, I believe. His 3d might as well. Those are both sense 3.0 though. Reason for no gsm on 3.5 is as others have stated, the roms are not from global phones. The devs aren't removing it, it was never there to begin with. Newt has said he will work on gsm soon, but to code it into a cdma rom is difficult and time consuming.

Sent from my mobile typewriter with tapatalk
  • Newt's sensation is the original Verizon Rom mixed with some sense 3 as i remember, and also rmk rom is a rooted De-bloated original rom sense 2.1
  • Newt 3D gsm is not stable and GSM acts weird for me at least , the above 2 have better Global phone GSM

nitsuj17
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 17053

DONATE TO ME
honestly i dont do anything to remove gsm functionality from my roms, but since i use verizon and have no way to test gsm i dont put too much effort into figuring if it works or not in the stuff i do

i realize its an inconvience for those who need global or those not on vzw...but it is what it is
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nitsuj17 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

trkaaa
Old
Thanks Meter 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
honestly i dont do anything to remove gsm functionality from my roms, but since i use verizon and have no way to test gsm i dont put too much effort into figuring if it works or not in the stuff i do

i realize its an inconvience for those who need global or those not on vzw...but it is what it is
thanks for your good intention , in every place in the forum i always find you trying to help others , thanks again

yurilebbie
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Please in NTSH ics as another GSM rom, as there is a patch to make it work.
Phone history: Nokia ---- > Sony Ericsson t616 > Danger Sidekick 2008 > Blackberry 8330 > Droid Incredible 2 > Samsung Galaxy SII t989 > LG Nexus 4

Use minus for 11gb of free storage, instead of dropbox
The Following User Says Thank You to yurilebbie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LiquidSmokeX64
Old
(Last edited by LiquidSmokeX64; 11th May 2012 at 10:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 248
Thanks for the info, see I was not aware of all that. I'm no dev.
I'll confirm Virtuous Unity does work with the patch. I used it for a day. Affinity seems to be showing some life but I tried sms and nothing.

The ics beta has a gsm patch? I would like to know where, I've heard of it but never found it yet.

Sent from my ADR6350 using XDA App

Tags
gsm roms help