Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,527 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Battery, Dead Phone

Tip us?

sjwoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question New Battery, Dead Phone

I bought an OEM battery for my Dinc2 from eBay. It didn't look like it was charging, but I left it in there for a few hours. The phone never turned on with the new battery. So I took it out and put the old battery back in (which had a 100% charge)...and now the phone goes to the htc white screen and then goes to black. When I try to turn it back on, nothing. I take the battery back out, and I can turn it on again, but again it only goes to the htc screen and then goes to black.

I can hold power + power down to get into the boot screen. Recovery goes to htc, then black. Factory reset goes to htc, then black.

Is it possible that a bum battery killed my phone?

Rone922
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwoo View Post
I bought an OEM battery for my Dinc2 from eBay. It didn't look like it was charging, but I left it in there for a few hours. The phone never turned on with the new battery. So I took it out and put the old battery back in (which had a 100% charge)...and now the phone goes to the htc white screen and then goes to black. When I try to turn it back on, nothing. I take the battery back out, and I can turn it on again, but again it only goes to the htc screen and then goes to black.

I can hold power + power down to get into the boot screen. Recovery goes to htc, then black. Factory reset goes to htc, then black.

Is it possible that a bum battery killed my phone?
Sounds like your charging port is broken in my professional opinion. Even if the indicator shows the red light on the top, it does not mean the device is charging. The reason why it turns on and goes black in my opinion is, that it gave you a false charge on the battery when you charged it and won't turn on properly. You're able to go to the Boot menu because it hardly takes any battery life. I'm a cell phone technician, but that's just a guess from what you've told me. It could be a totally different reason. It's a very easy fix if that's the case. The charging port is on a flex cable and you can purchase it for about $5. As long as you know how to open the device properly, you'll be fine. If not seek a professional.

sjwoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone922 View Post
Sounds like your charging port is broken in my professional opinion. Even if the indicator shows the red light on the top, it does not mean the device is charging. The reason why it turns on and goes black in my opinion is, that it gave you a false charge on the battery when you charged it and won't turn on properly. You're able to go to the Boot menu because it hardly takes any battery life. I'm a cell phone technician, but that's just a guess from what you've told me. It could be a totally different reason. It's a very easy fix if that's the case. The charging port is on a flex cable and you can purchase it for about $5. As long as you know how to open the device properly, you'll be fine. If not seek a professional.
Thanks for your assessment. I guess what I don't understand is how the charging port could break with a discharged/faulty battery? When I first plugged the battery in, it made the orange light blink a few times, which I know is a signal that the battery is really low.

Rone922
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwoo View Post
Thanks for your assessment. I guess what I don't understand is how the charging port could break with a discharged/faulty battery? When I first plugged the battery in, it made the orange light blink a few times, which I know is a signal that the battery is really low.
The charging port is really fragile, not much holding it down, especially since its on a flex. I'm not sure if this is against the forum rules or not, you can send it to me if you would like, and I'll be more than happy to fix it for you. Just pay shipping, part and labor. Part and labor $20 and you can use whatever shipping method you would like. Just give me labels to get here and back. You can take it to any repair center near you and they will probably charge you about $50-70. That would decrease the amount of time from the shipping, but it's totally up to you.