[4.0][ICS][ROM]Mackay CM9 2014 1.7 (25-mar-14)

Search This thread

kasper_h

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
Because of all the slowdowns in kitkat, I decided to give ICS another try.

Specs:
-Based on CyanogenMod 9
-With Mackay kernel (updated to 3.0.101, updated governors & schedulers, XL RAM some other nice stuff):
https://github.com/kasperhettinga/samsung-kernel-aries/commits/mackay-cm9-2014
-TWRP 2.2.2.0

-no 720p possible, XLMem (do not ask for other flavours, I just make a one-flavour option tuned for smoothness)

Download:
https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/kasperhettinga/sgs/rom/pre-KK//

Gapps:
http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

This are the latest official gapps. Newer gapps can be found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.om/showpost.php?p=50748003&postcount=135
(I haven't tested this package, I also don't think latest gapps is relevant, as gapps get updated through Play Store anyway)

Install:
-From existing CM9: install on top + flash gapps
-From any jellybean ROM: you can try to install it on top, but it may result in bootloops, requiring flashing GB through Odin (see below for next steps). Flash ROM. Flash gapps.
-From stock Samsung GB: install CF-ROOT-CWM kernel, or any other CWM containing kernel. Flash ROM. Flash gapps.

You need to flash gapps on every new build, backup/restore of gapps does not work yet!

If you have space issues, you can use a solution to bind /datadata to /data partition:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50653795&postcount=55
THIS IS NOT AN ADVICE TO DO THIS! I do not like this solution, as it will slow down your phone (especially with the slow internal memory chip). And it goes against my lean & mean philosophy for this ROM. Therefore: please think well before doing this!

Source code:
Codebase:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/ics
Kernel:
https://github.com/kasperhettinga/samsung-kernel-aries/tree/mackay-cm9-2014

Last edited:

octolith

Nov 16, 2010
Budakeszi
Because of all the slowdowns in kitkat, I decided to give ICS another try.

Wow, that was totally unexpected! Thank you very much! @kasper_h I was wondering: does your rom use the older partition layout, that was introduced in ics, which caused datadata to be full, or the jb one? It would be awesome if you switched to the newer partition layout *.*

Last edited:

kasper_h

Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
Are there any cherrypicks from CM10/11 or other aosp based builds to this interesting project?
No, i want to keep the ROM simple and light-weight.
Few bugs:
1. About Phone - CM Upader = FC Settings
2. Preformence = No schedular option

Runs smooth and excellent.
1 will solve in future update
2 ics never had. Requires more than a single patch I believe.
Wow, that was totally unexpected! Thank you very much! @kasper_h I was wondering: does your rom use the older partition layout, that was introduced in ics, which caused datadata to be full, or the jb one? It would be awesome if you switched to the newer partition layout *.*
You remember it wrong :)
ICS always had a small system & small datadata partition, both on the fast Onenand. This was actually the fastest layout I ever worked with. The changes in layout all happened in jellybean. And I will not start using jellybean partition layouts: I strive for speed and simplicity, which fits perfectly with the ICS layout.

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 5

idCyber

Oct 28, 2012
POCO M3 Pro / Redmi Note 10 5G
@kasper_h I have 3 questions:

1. No 720p support at all or only 720p recording is disabled but 720p playback still works?
2. If there's no Performance->Scheduler option in ICS, can schedulers be selected using other ways?
3. zRAM , KSM are still there ? (sorry I am used to your KK kernel) :D

Ty!

Last edited:

kasper_h

Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
@kasper_h I have 3 questions:

1. No 720p support at all or only 720p recording is disabled but 720p playback still works?
2. If there's no Performance->Scheduler option in ICS, can schedulers be selected using other ways?
3. zRAM , KSM are still there ? (sorry I am used to your KK kernel) :D

Ty!

1. 720 playback should work, but I didn't check and I don't have my phone here now
2. Yes, any cpu tuning app like nstools can be used
3. zRAM is on the to-do list, KSM should already work

kogli

Jul 19, 2012
OnePlus 3T
WOOOHOO!
My dreams came true, it actually happened! :D

You know, I was testing out CM9 a few times and I noticed huge improvements in smoothness and stuff like that, but the most impressive thing that I realised was that the chrome browser was not lagging at all! I think this means something!

I just have a few questions:
Is it possible to port CMA here? (it's not really necessary, I'm just wondering)
Aaand what about all those super cool features from Omni ROMs? Is there any way to port those? (again it's not necessary at all, I'm just asking)

Anyway I hope the development of this ROM will continue. :) Going to install this right away! :laugh: :good: :good:

If you'll continue working on this ROM and we'll continue using it, we can make together the fastest and the best ROM ever made for our SGS, I believe! :D

Last edited:

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Wow, our aging i9000 gets an encore ICS build!

What a joy! :) I will try!

I have a question regarding my old official CM9 nandroid backup done with Semaphore 1.3.0: is it worth trying to advanced restore only its data with Sema 1.3.0 to this ROM, and then flash this ROM over it to retain Mackay kernel back and my beloved TWRP with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: kogli

idCyber

Oct 28, 2012
POCO M3 Pro / Redmi Note 10 5G
Alright then :) I have a problem though: I can't donwload any apps from the Play Store, also, it won't update itself. The error I get when I try to download something is 403

Google Play Store is not updating itself aswell. Got the same problem with 403 . Coming from Android 4.4.2, I've flashed an Android 4.3.1 kernel, reboot to recovery, flashed CM9 twice, full wipe with system format, flashed Mackay CM9 and ICS gapps. Full wiped and system format, flashed the ROM again with gapps and the 403 error was still there. Then I've tried to go back to CM11 and the 403 error persisted.

Went back to stock GB and rooted it using Odin3 and then flashed Mackay CM9 and ICS gapps, now 403 is not showing up but another error appeared (921) and I've tried to clear data for Download Manager, Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, removed my Google Account and rebooted. Then I've re-added the Google Account and now the 403 error reappeared.

@kasper_h got any ideas ?

Last edited:

kasper_h

Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
WOOOHOO!

You know, I was testing out CM9 a few times and I noticed huge improvements in smoothness and stuff like that, but the most impressive thing that I realised was that the chrome browser was not lagging at all! I think this means something!

Is it possible to port CMA here? (it's not really necessary, I'm just wondering)
Aaand what about all those super cool features from Omni ROMs? Is there any way to port those? (again it's not necessary at all, I'm just asking)

Anyway I hope the development of this ROM will continue. :) Going to install this right away! :laugh: :good: :good:

If you'll continue working on this ROM and we'll continue using it, we can make together the fastest and the best ROM ever made for our SGS, I believe! :D
-CMA is not worth it, would hardly give more free RAM.
-Due to major overhauls in Android between ICS->JB->KitKat it will be nearly impossible to port anything back. Also, my motto for this ROM is lean & mean.
The guys. Collect this ROM for Vibrant. Please!
I never build ROMs for devices I do not own, sorry.
Wow, our aging i9000 gets an encore ICS build!

What a joy! :) I will try!

I have a question regarding my old official CM9 nandroid backup done with Semaphore 1.3.0: is it worth trying to advanced restore only its data with Sema 1.3.0 to this ROM, and then flash this ROM over it to retain Mackay kernel back and my beloved TWRP with it?
Yes, that should work fine.
Google Play Store is not updating itself aswell. Got the same problem with 403 . Coming from Android 4.4.2, I've flashed an Android 4.3.1 kernel, reboot to recovery, flashed CM9 twice, full wipe with system format, flashed Mackay CM9 and ICS gapps. Full wiped and system format, flashed the ROM again with gapps and the 403 error was still there. Then I've tried to go back to CM11 and the 403 error persisted.

Went back to stock GB and rooted it using Odin3 and then flashed Mackay CM9 and ICS gapps, now 403 is not showing up but another error appeared (921) and I've tried to clear data for Download Manager, Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, removed my Google Account and rebooted. Then I've re-added the Google Account and now the 403 error reappeared. @kasper_h got any ideas ?
My play store is working and was updated automatically. I could manually install apps, and some gapps (TTS, Search) were updated fine as well. Maybe try deleting Play Store data, as that seems like the best way in any Android revision to solve Play Store issues.

octolith

Nov 16, 2010
Budakeszi
My play store is working and was updated automatically. I could manually install apps, and some gapps (TTS, Search) were updated fine as well. Maybe try deleting Play Store data, as that seems like the best way in any Android revision to solve Play Store issues.

That didn't work for me.
I tried to:
-delete Play Store data
-reflash rom & gapps
-manually update Play Store & then try to install apps, delete Play Store data
-etc,etc, nothing helped.

Now I'm trying another gapps package.

EDIT: Success! The updated 4.0.4 gapps package from this thread works for me: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2294152

Last edited:
Reactions: idCyber

limnaln

Jun 28, 2013
Plovdiv
WOOOHOO!

Why dont make 4.4 fastest :/

Top Liked Posts