Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Working screen mirroring on rooted devices

Tip us?

hahansen3
Old
(Last edited by hahansen3; 10th March 2014 at 03:08 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Working screen mirroring on rooted devices

Note: This solution only works on MK2 (4.3)

I have been researching a problem I have had on my SPH-L720 with custom ROMs where screen mirroring with my Samsung TV would not work. Based on a thread I found, I have solved my problem and wanted to share with others who may have a similar problem.

In my searching, I stumbled upon this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=50597640

The OP of that thread had several applications that he froze, and made some changes to the Build prop file, and the WFDConfig.Xml file. In the end, I only made one change to the WFDConfig.Xml file, and my screen mirroring started working.

1. Edit /system/etc/WFDConfig.Xml, and make the following change:

Code:
<HDCPValid>0</HDCPValid>
2. Reboot phone, and profit!

My setup is MF9 bootbootloader, NAE baseband, Negalite MK2 ROM.

If I have time this weekend, I will upgrade to Negalite NAE ROM, and test it there.

I take no credit for this solution, and credit the original thread above.

Hope this helps someone!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hahansen3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ekco06
Old
Thanks Meter 11
What program did you used to edit this? sorry noob here

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

nobody291
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Wow, thanks...I've been looking for a solution to this for awhile too. I made the changes on my stock rooted MK2 phone, and mirroring works great!

Quote:
What program did you used to edit this?
I copied the file to my PC and used notepad++ to do the edit. Then copied the file back to the system/etc folder on the phone. You'll need root and a root-enabled file manager to write to the system folder. I used Root Browser (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ot.browserfree), but there are several apps that will work.

hahansen3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekco06 View Post
What program did you used to edit this? sorry noob here

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
There are a couple of different ways to edit the file. For me, I used Root Explorer, navigated to the file, long pressed the file name, a menu came up and I chose 'Open in Text Editor'. From there it asked if wanted to mount the filesystem as r/w, I chose yes, edited the file, and saved it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hahansen3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 588
I couldn't find this line in my file, were you on Kit Kat or JellyBean?
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum, several other xposed tweaks
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.7.1.0

gamester_47
Old
Thanks Meter 0
For some reason I don't have that line in my WFDConfig.xml, I am on Baseband NAE, Negalite-wonderom-nae-r11, MF9 Bootloader. Any ideas?

hahansen3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamester_47 View Post
For some reason I don't have that line in my WFDConfig.xml, I am on Baseband NAE, Negalite-wonderom-nae-r11, MF9 Bootloader. Any ideas?
I just upgraded my phone to the exact same setup. When I look at the config file for NAE, it is a little different. But, I *think* the correct change would be:

Code:
<ContentProtection>
		<Valid>1</Valid> <------- Try changing this to 0
		<Version>WFD_HDCP_2_1</Version> <!-- Valid values WFD_HDCP_2_0 and WFD_HDCP_2_1 -->
		<CPPort>6789</CPPort>
		<EncryptAudio>0</EncryptAudio> <!-- Valid values 0 / 1 to indicate Audio encryption or not -->
</ContentProtection>

I have made that change to my phone, but I am at work now so I will not be able to test this until later this evening. I will post my results when I get home.

hahansen3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
I couldn't find this line in my file, were you on Kit Kat or JellyBean?
The fix in the OP is for 4.3 Jelly Bean. I just upgraded to 4.4 KitKat, and will have to test my theory on which setting to change when I get home.

gabesir
Old
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Thank you!!! worked !!

man i was breaking my head on this one.. and soft bricked the phone a couple times trying to fix this, and to think the fix was so damn easy!

hahansen3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Well, bad news on NAE (4.4.2) - the fix does not work. Under <ContentProtection>, I tried setting <Valid> to 0. When I mirror, I get a black screen with a message that says "Unable to enable Screen Mirroring. HDCP is not supported by the connected device" I can hear the sound from the phone on the TV, but no picture.