Sony Encouraging SmartWatch 2 Development

Mobile device companies like selling devices–it’s how they make their money and … more

Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Domestic Unlock of 4.3 & 4.4.1 (NAE) galaxy s4

OP adol.ivxx

2nd April 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

9 posts
Okay, I just got through doing this myself and it seemed that nowhere was this all said at once, or at all. So I thought I'd whip up a quick tutorial concerning how to Domestic Unlock the Samsung Galaxy S4 on any of the newer bootloaders/firmwares/modems. (Knox-enabled)

I did this on both a 4.4.1 galaxy and a 4.3 galaxy- one one NAE and one on MK2

First, for anything to work your modem must be an older one, like version MDL. Download the file SPH-L720_MDC_Modem.exe which is a one-click
Odin .exe that will flash ONLY your modem to MDL.

Steps- put into download mode by taking the battery out and putting it back in. Hold the volume down button, the home buttone and then press the power button. When it vibrates, let go. Press volume up.
Run the SPH-L720_MDC_Modem.exe odin one-click installer.
Connect the usb to computer from phone
when com[24] or whatever shows up, press start.

Now, for the domestic lock to work you first need to do the international unlock @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2415587

It's real easy and explained well at the link above, but I'll run through it quickly anyways.

Download the s4unlocker installer from the post linked above.
Put your phone into diag mode by dialing ##3424#. Press Qualcom button and select the bottom selection.
connect (if it wasn't already) usb from phone to PC

You already installed the proper samsung drivers, right? If not, you'd better do that now.

Okay, now run the s4unlocker and press the scan and unlock button, then wait for the phone to reboot.

Now for the Domestic Unlock part.

Follow the directions at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2530610

I'll run through it real quick, too because there were a few things I wanted to mention.
dial *#0011# (or #*0011#, I can't remember)
when it comes up "No service", press the menu key on the bottom left of your phone. This brings up a menu (wow!), on which you should press "back"
Now press the menu key again and in the menu select "key input" A box will open up asking for you to type in something- enter a "1" and then press the enter key BEFORE hitting the OK button. Mine would not work unless I did this.
Now wait, sometimes it takes a good couple of seconds to give you the menu. Follow the rest of the directions from the above link, setting all the settings to what is stated. EXCEPT where he says to set all the preferences to WCDMA ALL, GSM ALL and LTE ALL. When I selected one, however, an asterisk appeared after my selection leading me to believe that you can only select one of these and so I set mine to GSM ALL and left the others alone. This worked for me, so I thought I'd mention it.

Now that you've manually rebooted after following the directions, you still have to edit your build prop to allow you to edit the apn settings. To edit your build.prop you must be rooted so root with CF auto-root http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ download the proper one for the galaxy s4.
It's just an odin flash, so enter download mode
load up odin 3.x
hit the pda button and select the cf auto root tar
hit start.

After rooting I found that one time I had to do some of the service mode settings again and one time I did not, so I mention it here even though I think I had to because of some other error I had made at the time.

Go to play store and download build.prop editor and APN settings Shortcut

Load the build.prop editor and add these two lines to the end of the file
ril.sales_code=LOL
ro.csc.sales_code=LOL

Now reboot manually

add the apn settings widgit to the main screen and open it

click on menu and add an apn
Enter the apn settings for your carrier here. They're all different,(the carriers) but you can find them(the apn settings) easily with google, since they (carriers) all post their apn settings on their webpages.
Don't forget to save the apn settings.
Now select it.
Now reboot, since it couldn't hurt, right?

If you've done everything right you should now have an domestic and international unlocked Sprint galaxy s4. Enjoy.

I suppose you could now reflash the new modem back onto the phone, but I don't have firsthand knowledge whether this works or not- I've only read that others have said that it works. Remember, ONLY FLASH THE MODEM, the rest isn't necessary and will probably knox you all up

All I did was list these things- credit goes to all those who were linked in the above post. Thanks for all you do.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adol.ivxx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
On stock 4.3 and higher you can go into settings and change your APN, so there's no reason to root and mess around with build.prop editor.
5th April 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Every time i try this i cant get my wifi back up when i flash back to the nae modem. If i could get pass that then I'll definetly be do that.
6th April 2014, 02:37 AM   |  #4  
Flag In a house with a yard
Thanks Meter: 49

1,427 posts
can the modem be downgraded
mine came with mk2
16th April 2014, 08:39 PM   |  #5  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 14

102 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoiden

mine came with mk2

Yes, did like that on my L720 4.4.2 after unlocked with T-mobile i flashed 4.4.2 samsung s4 T-mobile odexed rom now the phone work like t-mobile s4 and full 4g signal, except the LTE data.
18th April 2014, 04:46 AM   |  #6  
Flag Rockford
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoiden

mine came with mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomy1986.nt

Yes, did like that on my L720 4.4.2 after unlocked with T-mobile i flashed 4.4.2 samsung s4 T-mobile odexed rom now the phone work like t-mobile s4 and full 4g signal, except the LTE data.

I have read that the modem itself cannot be downgraded. You can run older android versions and such on the newer modems, but the modem itself cannot be rolled back. I believe it has been like that since MJA.
18th April 2014, 04:50 AM   |  #7  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 14

102 posts
More
You can downgrade modem, but can not downgrade bootloader (aboot)

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
22nd April 2014, 09:31 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 12

193 posts
I completed both the international & domestic unlock. I believe I was successful in each. I have a T-Mo sim card inserted but am not getting a mobile data connection. I do have 2 bars of service though. So I have gotten past the red X on the bars.
I am on 4.4.2 with the MDC modem. I did not do the build.prop stuff, instead opted to just access the APN's from the default menu.

A few things in my menu were different than the OP (probably because of 4.4) such as:
I dont have any roaming menu options
I dont have WCDMA.. just CDMA and LTE/CDMA. I currently have it set to LTE/CDMA
In my APN edit info there was not a place to put in MMS protocol: WAP 2.0

Also under About Device "my phone number" is wrong.

Am I missing something to get this t-mo working?
Last edited by goblue30093; 22nd April 2014 at 09:36 PM.
23rd April 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 720

1,080 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue30093

I completed both the international & domestic unlock. I believe I was successful in each. I have a T-Mo sim card inserted but am not getting a mobile data connection. I do have 2 bars of service though. So I have gotten past the red X on the bars.
I am on 4.4.2 with the MDC modem. I did not do the build.prop stuff, instead opted to just access the APN's from the default menu.

A few things in my menu were different than the OP (probably because of 4.4) such as:
I dont have any roaming menu options
I dont have WCDMA.. just CDMA and LTE/CDMA. I currently have it set to LTE/CDMA
In my APN edit info there was not a place to put in MMS protocol: WAP 2.0

Also under About Device "my phone number" is wrong.

Am I missing something to get this t-mo working?

You didn't unlock it. If you were on NAE modem while unlocking then you failed miserably because you're not able to get into the most important part of the unlock...The service menu. If you did indeed downgrade the modem then you're going to need to follow the domestic unlock guide again. If it's showing CDMA/LTE you didn't do it right. It should show WCDMA only and WCDMA only isn't an option you can just select. It gets put there by the service menu.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
23rd April 2014, 02:59 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 12

193 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs87

You didn't unlock it. If you were on NAE modem while unlocking then you failed miserably because you're not able to get into the most important part of the unlock...The service menu. If you did indeed downgrade the modem then you're going to need to follow the domestic unlock guide again. If it's showing CDMA/LTE you didn't do it right. It should show WCDMA only and WCDMA only isn't an option you can just select. It gets put there by the service menu.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

I said I wasn't on NAE, I am on MDC. I did get into the service menu. I did everything in the process without issues. My service menu did NOT have a WCDMA only option. It had LTE/WCDMA and that's what i chose. I just went to the t-mobile store and they verified my APN settings were correct. I am unsure of what to do at this point other than just start all over and do it again.

Anyone else?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread