Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 48,583 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TOOLKIT] Shield Root and More! [Shield RAM V1.1]

Tip us?

hexitnow
Old
(Last edited by hexitnow; 17th May 2014 at 05:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333

DONATE TO ME
Default [TOOLKIT] Shield Root and More! [Shield RAM V1.1]

Shield RAM V1.1

<<< Shield Root and More >>>

I'm happy to present my first release.

FEATURES:
◄Unlock Bootloader►
◄Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery/Stock Recovery►
◄Root►
◄Debloat System►
◄After all it's a gaming console, who needs calendar's and books and crap
◄Restore to Factory Stock (erases all user data in the process)►
◄More to Come!!!►

NEWB INSTRUCTIONS:
Make sure you have the naked driver installed from this THREAD first. There is an install guide in the thread describing how to get the driver's configured properly. However I'll try to sum it up. Once you have USB Debugging enabled windows will try finding the driver's but won't be able to, go into device manager and right click the device you need to install the driver for. For the ADB driver right click it and go to Update Driver Software >>> Browse my computer for driver software >>> Click the browse button and find the folder where you have extracted the naked drivers. Hit next, it should scan the folder, find the driver and then install it. For the fastboot driver you need to power your shield off, boot into the bootloader, and then plug your USB Cable in. Windows should look for the driver software and once again, it won't be able to find it. Do the same thing, go to device manager and right click Fastboot and select Update Driver Software. Select Browse my computer for driver software again but this time select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Highlight Show All Devices and select Next. Select Have Disk at the bottom, and then Browse. Find the Naked Driver folder once again and then select android_winusb.inf and hit Open. Select ok, scroll to the bottom, highlight Nvidia Shield Fastboot, hit Next and accept the warning dialog. The Fastboot driver should now be installed. Extract Shield RAM.zip, open the folder, and all you have to do at this point is double click Shield RAM.exe to start the process. I made this about as simple as it get so someone with no rooting experience should have no problem. Happy Modding!!!

ADVANCED INSTRUCTIONS:
Make sure to have your adb and fastboot driver's installed, start Shield RAM

DISCLAIMER:
If you do not know what root is, or have no need to use root, then you probably shouldn't be rooting your shield. I have tested this multiple times, and on multiple different shield units. This tool should be 100% safe however when it comes to flashing/rooting, modifying android device's in general there are certain inherent risks involved. I take no liability towards your device and the harm you could potentially cause to it. By now we should all know the risk involved with rooting, flashing, etc.

▲▲▲!!!AVAST AND POSSIBLY OTHER ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS WARNING!!!▲▲▲
Avast wanted to run this in sandbox mode, if yours does the same let it sit for about 20 seconds and then hit continue execution.
Not really sure why it's doing it, I dont think Kwongger's tool tripped my avast.

Credits/Thanks:
Minimal ADB and Fastboot - Shimp208
CWM Recovery - Clockworkmod and Agrabren for porting it to the shield
Kwongger - Using his toolkit is what made me want to make my own

Feel free to ask any question's, post any comment's or concern's, or make suggestion's for thing's you might like to see

Donation's are never expected,
and always appreciated. Please
leave your XDA username in the
field box so that I can say thank
you here for it.

THANK YOU FOR DOWNLOADING!!!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to hexitnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hexitnow
Old
(Last edited by hexitnow; 16th May 2014 at 08:57 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333

DONATE TO ME
Changelog for 1.1:
  • With all the people not wanting to update to 77 I left 68
  • Changed some of the messages that are echoed
  • Added Koush's superuser App
  • Added a failsafe so if a wrong key is entered the program exits
    Example:Requires a Y/N input if you hit 6 or M it will exit

Donation List
  • Budokaiboy

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hexitnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Antara33
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Hey, are you planing on add an option to "ota ready" the device? You need to create a script that flash system, boot and recovery from stock, without a factory reset or userdata flashing, so, you can full unroot and full disable all system level changes in order to update :P I personally do this on my GF nexus 7 and my shield and everything work great :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Antara33 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hexitnow
Old
(Last edited by hexitnow; 25th February 2014 at 02:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antara33 View Post
Hey, are you planing on add an option to "ota ready" the device? You need to create a script that flash system, boot and recovery from stock, without a factory reset or userdata flashing, so, you can full unroot and full disable all system level changes in order to update :P I personally do this on my GF nexus 7 and my shield and everything work great :P
There's an option to flash it back to the newest ota, but ya changing that will be easy. And you just gave me a good idea too.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.
and-roms.com
Nvidia Shield Root and More

KR-1:~ KRIEGER$ chown -R US ./base
chown: ./base: No such file or directory
KR-1:~ KRIEGER$ mkdir ./base
ownership changed
The Following User Says Thank You to hexitnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shimp208
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1520

DONATE TO ME
Very nicely done always glad to see people developing tools for the community, and intergrating Minimal ADB and Fastboot into their projects!
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hexitnow
Old
(Last edited by hexitnow; 27th February 2014 at 02:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
Very nicely done always glad to see people developing tools for the community, and intergrating Minimal ADB and Fastboot into their projects!
Thanks alot. Your tool made it much easier to get everything up and running
and-roms.com

ownership changed
The Following User Says Thank You to hexitnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hexitnow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333

DONATE TO ME
Just finished adding Wipe and No Wipe System Restore options for the next release.
and-roms.com

ownership changed

psycho1200
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Thanks for your work , but one question the CWM recovery that will be flashed with your script is the recovery with the OTA installation allowed ?, another think the stock recovery is the 4.3 recovery ?, the last time i flashed a custom recovery to my shield i had to return out of the box to get all the new otas
The Following User Says Thank You to psycho1200 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

synplex
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Thank You so much OP! I just got my SHield about 2 weeks ago and thought all Dev was dead for it. Glad to see someone stilling messing around with stuff.
LG G2 Verizon [Rooted], Nexus 7 2013 [CleanROM 1.5 Rom]
www.XplosivGravity.tv
The Following User Says Thank You to synplex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hexitnow
Old
(Last edited by hexitnow; 1st March 2014 at 05:54 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333

DONATE TO ME
Both of you, are most welcome. I enjoyed putting together, and I enjoy it even more when I hear people are using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho1200 View Post
Thanks for your work , but one question the CWM recovery that will be flashed with your script is the recovery with the OTA installation allowed ?, another think the stock recovery is the 4.3 recovery ?, the last time i flashed a custom recovery to my shield i had to return out of the box to get all the new otas
Im misunderstanding your first question but ya the stock recovery you can flash is 4.3 i think i mentioned it somewhere but i need to go back and make sure i do have it mentioned in the thread and in the RAM file. Maybe I'll go back and add an option for the 4.2 recovery since there are probably still a few shields using it. In my next release There is a no wipe option for system recovery so it wont touch any of your apps or data and it will flash your device back to stock, remove root and the supersu app, making it OTA ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synplex View Post
Thank You so much OP! I just got my SHield about 2 weeks ago and thought all Dev was dead for it. Glad to see someone stilling messing around with stuff.
Oh yeah, there's a little bit of life left in the shield. I use to have the model of galaxy s4 that had the exploitable bootloader, but the speaker went out and warrantied it, so lost the aforementioned and all I really have on it now is root. Since the shield is easily mod-able I decided to start doing some stuff up for it. I do have a couple of other things planned for it :thumbup:
and-roms.com

ownership changed

Tags
awesome, nvidia, root, shield, tool