5,596,637 Members 41,794 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Review of Seidio DILEX (former ACTIVE) Nexus 7 HD Case w/Cover and lots of pics!!!

Tip us?

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1714
Default Review of Seidio DILEX (former ACTIVE) Nexus 7 HD Case w/Cover and lots of pics!!!

This is a review of Seidio DILEX (formerly known as ACTIVE) case for Nexus 7 HD with multi-purpose cover. http://www.seidioonline.com/asus-goo...k3asn72-bk.htm

I have been using and reviewed Seidio cases for a lot of smartphones and tablets, and I'm sure a lot of you familiar with their high quality products, including their line of Platinum cases sold exclusively at Best Buy. Formerly know as ACTIVE, Seidio changed the name to DILEX which sometime creates confusion for their die-hard fans, but make no mistake - it's only a name change with a design staying the same. As a matter of fact, I have exactly the same case for my original 2012 Nexus 7, and it's always our go-to case whenever we take it outdoors on a trip. What makes this particular design stand out is Multi-Purpose cover which is a MUST HAVE companion if you are deciding to get DILEX by itself without a cover.

To start off, the case itself features their dual-layered protection with inner soft silicone (shock/impact absorbing polymer layer) and exterior skeleton polycarbonate casing for extra corner/side protection and to hold inner layer from pulling off. Though design looks the same across their smartphone and tablets, I find that with every new release Seidio fine-tunes the fitment. The only thing remaining the same, the dust magnet of the inner layer I definitely found the fitment of the inner silicone layer to be snugger in comparison to previous designs. As a matter of fact, it could almost be used by itself without exoskeleton But I wouldn't recommend that because strength and flexibility of that external PC layer provides excellent corner protection. Surprisingly with both layer on, the case still looks slim. With a case assembled, you will appreciate precise alignment of all the ports, camera, extra grips with finger grooves along the side of inner layer, and volume/power buttons being completely covered to prevent any specks of dust while still providing tactile response when pushing buttons. You also get an acceptable lip protection around the screen when tablet is placed face down. But just like with 2012 version of Nexus 7, I think the multi-purpose cover is the star of this package.

First of all, this cover is designed to give you an ultimate screen protection, even if you drop it on a concrete from a shoulder height (just saying, so don't try it at home!!!). It also reinforces the corners and side protection, and securely latches to the DILEX case by means of little corner dimples. Its secure enough that cover will not come loose even if you drop it. The cover goes on the top, and when not in use can be placed on the back in exactly the same latching manner. For those who are familiar with Seidio cases, they always have a signature kickstand. Here, the adjustable stand is built into this cover and could be set to 10 different angles. When not in use, the stand folds flat and has a layer of felt finish so it doesn't scratch the tablet's screen. Once you prop it up, you can place Nexus 7 or any other smartphone or a small tablet in either landscape or portrait orientation. The bottom of this multi-purpose cover has non-slip pads to add a decent friction so it will not move anywhere even on a slippery glass table top surface.

Overall, this case has a fantastic design and an excellent built quality, all of which will give you a peace of mind when using/carrying your Nexus 7 HD. Yes, it comes at a premium price, but it definitely worth every penny considering you are getting a rugged case, a rugged unique cover, and a unique built-in kickstand.

Here are the pictures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lawndart
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Holy crap. Thank you for this review. New to Android anything, still have a dumb phone. Got a Nexus 7 and am loving it, but it's still running around naked, wallowing in its own feces. Agonizing over a cover for it. I'm not a big fan of the screen protector on my mp3 player, so I was eyeing folio-type cases that cover the screen and had it narrowed down to the Moko Slim-Fit, Ultra-Slim, or Poetic Slim-Line. The Devicewear Ridge was on the list too, but constantly seeing "Vegan Leather" gets my hackles up and has kinda soured me toward that case. It's like saying Consensual Rape. Or Non-lethal Murder. Maybe if it was made of real vegans... And wasn't $10 more than the others mentioned.

Anyway, this has thrown a wrench into my going-with-a-folio-case thing.

1. All of these cases cover the screen.
2. All of them look like they have good low angle stand viewing. I've been propping my Nexus up in front of my numberpad and treating it as a second monitor/search tool when the PC is occupied or it keeps me from alt tabbing.

The Seidio does give up any sleep/wake ability, makes the Nexus a lot thicker, and seems like it would add a few seconds to quick access and maybe require two hands.

How much does the Seidio weigh? Any advice on my choice between them? And again, thanks for the review. That looks like one heck of a case.

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1714
The weight is on par or maybe even lighter than folio cases, but this one has a different purpose. Btw, I have reviewed in details MoKo cases you mentioned above as well here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2583631

From what you have described, sounds like Moko Slim-Fit probably going to be a better solution for you. Seidio is more for a rugged application, especially outdoors. Get that N7 dresses ASAP, you don't want to drop it and shatter the display.
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

Neilyboy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Dang it after I just ordered this devicewear case. I will be ordering one of these soon. Thanks for the great pics.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AnarchoXen
Old
Thanks Meter 59
I've been using this case for a while now and couldn't be happier. It really is fantastic for me because I am on and off trains and busses all day and rely on the protection.

Also charges with my wireless charger still.

Highly recommended.

ACHILLES R32
Old
(Last edited by ACHILLES R32; 19th January 2014 at 04:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 74
I had one of these on my 2012 Nexus 7 great protection. The silicone had a horrible smell never went away. I'm considering getting this case soon, Does the silicone smell?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5
Phone:Nexus 5 ROM:KitKat 4.4.2 Stock Rooted Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.4 Radio:1.0.25.0.23 Bootloader:HHZ11k

Tablet:Nexus 7 ROM:CleanROM 2.6 Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.0 Bootloader:FLO 04.02

Past Devices:Nexus 7 (2012) (SOLD) Nexus 4 (SOLD) Galaxy Nexus (SOLD) T-Mobile G2 (SOLD)

stanglifemike
Old
Thanks Meter 410
I wish the hard piece on the back didn't have the circular cutout in the middle! Makes it look VERY similar to ipad cases, as they have that cutout to show the Apple logo on the tablet. Other than that (and the silicone being a lint magnet!), it looks like a great case.

SwiftKey'ed from my White Sprint Note 3 via XDA Premium
Main Phone: White Samsung Note 3 + 64GB card
Other phone:White Note 2
Other Phone: White HTC Evo 4G LTE
Other Phone: Black HTC Evo 4G LTE
Main Tablet: Asus Infinity 32GB Internal + 64GB card
Main Tablet: 2013 Nexus 7 32GB

98 GT: Lots of bolt-ons, suspension, exhaust.
06 GT: Vortech supercharger 10 lbs boost, full suspension, exhaust, too much to list here
Both purchased new and all mods done by me

justmiike
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for the pics, just bought one! I really like how Seidio implement their kickstands. I have a similar case for my Note 3, and the kickstand is the best feature about it. It's costly, but worth every dollar!
Tablet: Google Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
ROM: SinLessROM v3.2.2

Phone: Samsung GALAXY Note 3 N9005 32GB with SanDisk 64GB MicroSD
ROM: X-NOTE build 12.0 N9005-NB7 via MOP
Root: Knox 0x0 with Universal Root de la Vega v0.5 from MI7
Base Band: NB5

Reviews for the Best Apps for your Android device

AnarchoXen
Old
Thanks Meter 59
No smell. ☺
The Following User Says Thank You to AnarchoXen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yosmokinman
Old
Thanks Meter 11
^Mine did have a pretty strong smell initially. I kind of liked it, like the new car smell. Completely gone after a week.

This is the best case imo.