Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,782 Members 45,602 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ROM port question

Tip us?
 
blkhrt13
Old
#1  
blkhrt13's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 110
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Anderson
Default ROM port question

Is it possible to port s4 ROMs to this device? Has it been done before? I've messed around with porting before, I actually tried to port a sense 4 ROM to the s3 and I tried porting an s4 to the droid DNA. The problem I ran into was getting Ubuntu installed onto my windows 8.1 laptop in dual boot. Just curious thanks guys!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
buhohitr
Old
#2  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1487
Posts: 5,103
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhrt13 View Post
Is it possible to port s4 ROMs to this device? Has it been done before? I've messed around with porting before, I actually tried to port a sense 4 ROM to the s3 and I tried porting an s4 to the droid DNA. The problem I ran into was getting Ubuntu installed onto my windows 8.1 laptop in dual boot. Just curious thanks guys!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I don't see the point to do so. S4 is only 4.3 and current we're running custom 4.4 with all the latest 4.4 features. There's no reason to go back to 4.3 rom.
 
blkhrt13
Old
#3  
blkhrt13's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 110
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Anderson
Yeah I understand your point. The reason I was asking is because I'm still running 4.1 jelly beans ROM and I was wondering if they weren't going to do a 4.3 release of that ROM if I could port the s4 version to the s3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
ShapesBlue
Old
#4  
ShapesBlue's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 546
Posts: 2,445
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhrt13 View Post
Yeah I understand your point. The reason I was asking is because I'm still running 4.1 jelly beans ROM and I was wondering if they weren't going to do a 4.3 release of that ROM if I could port the s4 version to the s3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I don't see why you couldn't do it. Andybones has a S4 version of his rom that he is porting over to the S3. It can be done. As nice as 4.4 is I'll stick with a rock solid version of 4.3 anyday

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
VZW S3 - SOKP/MOAR
SGT2 7.0 - Mokee OS 4.4.2/SOKP
 
jmxc23
Old
#5  
jmxc23's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 580
Posts: 1,285
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapesBlue View Post
I don't see why you couldn't do it. Andybones has a S4 version of his rom that he is porting over to the S3. It can be done. As nice as 4.4 is I'll stick with a rock solid version of 4.3 anyday

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
Andy ported the S4 apps on to his S3 ROM. It is still an ROM based on the S3 firmware. If it was a port it would have said so in the title of his ROMs thread. It is an XDA rule to put port,official or unofficial in a ROM title if necessary. With that being said it is very difficult to port a ROM if the device it is based on has different hardware then the device it is being ported to.
 
ShapesBlue
Old
#6  
ShapesBlue's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 546
Posts: 2,445
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmxc23 View Post
Andy ported the S4 apps on to his S3 ROM. It is still an ROM based on the S3 firmware. If it was a port it would have said so in the title of his ROMs thread. It is an XDA rule to put port,official or unofficial in a ROM title if necessary. With that being said it is very difficult to port a ROM if the device it is based on has different hardware then the device it is being ported to.
Agreed, but the hardware isn't exactly the same in both devices. Roms can be ported for the most part to any device there are however some limitations

Nice avatar btw. I used to have one of disturbed from indestructible
VZW S3 - SOKP/MOAR
SGT2 7.0 - Mokee OS 4.4.2/SOKP
 
landshark68
Old
(Last edited by landshark68; 25th February 2014 at 04:04 PM.)
#7  
landshark68's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 482
Posts: 930
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhrt13 View Post
Yeah I understand your point. The reason I was asking is because I'm still running 4.1 jelly beans ROM and I was wondering if they weren't going to do a 4.3 release of that ROM if I could port the s4 version to the s3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
What 4.1 ROM are you running? There are already quite a few 4.3 ROMs for the S3. MOAR, Wicked Sensations, Clean ROM, and JellyBeans (now called Alliance ROM) have all been updated from 4.1.2 to 4.3. And Synergy ROM and BoneStock are in the process of being updated to 4.3. There's also Old & slow's ROM, samstock, and scrosler's knoxless, rooted, stock ROM all based on 4.3.
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you

The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools
Display Modes