ROM port question

OP blkhrt13

24th February 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Anderson
Thanks Meter: 15

123 posts
More
Is it possible to port s4 ROMs to this device? Has it been done before? I've messed around with porting before, I actually tried to port a sense 4 ROM to the s3 and I tried porting an s4 to the droid DNA. The problem I ran into was getting Ubuntu installed onto my windows 8.1 laptop in dual boot. Just curious thanks guys!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th February 2014, 03:30 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,629

5,448 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhrt13

Is it possible to port s4 ROMs to this device? Has it been done before? I've messed around with porting before, I actually tried to port a sense 4 ROM to the s3 and I tried porting an s4 to the droid DNA. The problem I ran into was getting Ubuntu installed onto my windows 8.1 laptop in dual boot. Just curious thanks guys!

I don't see the point to do so. S4 is only 4.3 and current we're running custom 4.4 with all the latest 4.4 features. There's no reason to go back to 4.3 rom.
25th February 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Anderson
Thanks Meter: 15

123 posts
More
Yeah I understand your point. The reason I was asking is because I'm still running 4.1 jelly beans ROM and I was wondering if they weren't going to do a 4.3 release of that ROM if I could port the s4 version to the s3.

25th February 2014, 04:05 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 842

4,494 posts
More
Quote:

Yeah I understand your point. The reason I was asking is because I'm still running 4.1 jelly beans ROM and I was wondering if they weren't going to do a 4.3 release of that ROM if I could port the s4 version to the s3.

I don't see why you couldn't do it. Andybones has a S4 version of his rom that he is porting over to the S3. It can be done. As nice as 4.4 is I'll stick with a rock solid version of 4.3 anyday

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
25th February 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #5  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 984

1,681 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapesBlue

I don't see why you couldn't do it. Andybones has a S4 version of his rom that he is porting over to the S3. It can be done. As nice as 4.4 is I'll stick with a rock solid version of 4.3 anyday

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Andy ported the S4 apps on to his S3 ROM. It is still an ROM based on the S3 firmware. If it was a port it would have said so in the title of his ROMs thread. It is an XDA rule to put port,official or unofficial in a ROM title if necessary. With that being said it is very difficult to port a ROM if the device it is based on has different hardware then the device it is being ported to.
25th February 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 842

4,494 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmxc23

Andy ported the S4 apps on to his S3 ROM. It is still an ROM based on the S3 firmware. If it was a port it would have said so in the title of his ROMs thread. It is an XDA rule to put port,official or unofficial in a ROM title if necessary. With that being said it is very difficult to port a ROM if the device it is based on has different hardware then the device it is being ported to.

Agreed, but the hardware isn't exactly the same in both devices. Roms can be ported for the most part to any device there are however some limitations

Nice avatar btw. I used to have one of disturbed from indestructible
25th February 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #7  
Illinois
Thanks Meter: 583

1,035 posts
Quote:

What 4.1 ROM are you running? There are already quite a few 4.3 ROMs for the S3. MOAR, Wicked Sensations, Clean ROM, and JellyBeans (now called Alliance ROM) have all been updated from 4.1.2 to 4.3. And Synergy ROM and BoneStock are in the process of being updated to 4.3. There's also Old & slow's ROM, samstock, and scrosler's knoxless, rooted, stock ROM all based on 4.3.
Last edited by landshark68; 25th February 2014 at 05:04 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread