Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,782 Members 45,899 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

returning phone to store with custom rom

Tip us?
 
m52go
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default returning phone to store with custom rom

I purchased a Z Ultra about a week ago and don't think it's going to work out. It's too HUGE. I will probably exchange it for a Z1, but I want to know:

Will it be a problem to have CM installed on it? Will they reject the return upon receiving it at the facility?

I don't want to take any chances...but I also don't want to go through the hassle of taking it back to stock...
 
SpyderTracks
Old
#2  
SpyderTracks's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 579
Posts: 2,882
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by m52go View Post
I purchased a Z Ultra about a week ago and don't think it's going to work out. It's too HUGE. I will probably exchange it for a Z1, but I want to know:

Will it be a problem to have CM installed on it? Will they reject the return upon receiving it at the facility?

I don't want to take any chances...but I also don't want to go through the hassle of taking it back to stock...
They won't accept it with any trace of root or custom rom as it voids the warranty. You'll need to flash complete stock, it's pretty straightforward.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6833
Stock .257 Unrooted

Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, iPhone 3GS, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Universal, Sony Ericsson P990i, boat load of nokia's for a long time.

I love this site!!! Thanks to all
 
LordManhattan
Old
#3  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
Posts: 15,002
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kepler-34b
What Spyder said.

Also, why don't you just wait a couple of weeks for the Z2? It looks so much nicer than the Z1. Even I would get it! (but i won't).
The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
m52go
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
What Spyder said.

Also, why don't you just wait a couple of weeks for the Z2? It looks so much nicer than the Z1. Even I would get it! (but i won't).
Hmm...I didn't back up the TA partition. I hope I'm not screwed.

Regarding the Z2, I would totally go for it, but 1) I'm getting a pretty good deal on the Z1...20% off the sale price and 2) I'm not sure I have time to wait for its release and 3) it's going to be very expensive. I hate paying full-price for just-released electronics.
 
blueether
Old
#5  
blueether's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 942
Posts: 2,330
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Te Awamutu, New Zealand

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by m52go View Post
Hmm...I didn't back up the TA partition. I hope I'm not screwed.

Regarding the Z2, I would totally go for it, but 1) I'm getting a pretty good deal on the Z1...20% off the sale price and 2) I'm not sure I have time to wait for its release and 3) it's going to be very expensive. I hate paying full-price for just-released electronics.
I think you are screwed

I'm sure that you get used to the ZU eventually
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.
 
SpyderTracks
Old
#6  
SpyderTracks's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 579
Posts: 2,882
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by m52go View Post
Hmm...I didn't back up the TA partition. I hope I'm not screwed.

Regarding the Z2, I would totally go for it, but 1) I'm getting a pretty good deal on the Z1...20% off the sale price and 2) I'm not sure I have time to wait for its release and 3) it's going to be very expensive. I hate paying full-price for just-released electronics.
No ta partition means no drm keys which is definitely void warranty, i doubt very much they'd accept it back.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6833
Stock .257 Unrooted

Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, iPhone 3GS, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Universal, Sony Ericsson P990i, boat load of nokia's for a long time.

I love this site!!! Thanks to all
 
m52go
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderTracks View Post
No ta partition means no drm keys which is definitely void warranty, i doubt very much they'd accept it back.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Yeah I effed up BADLY on this one.

To add insult to injury, I woke up an hour ago to find 2 scratches on the front screen...my best guess is that the glass of the Z1 scratched the Ultra when I placed the Z1 on top of the Ultra to compare the two earlier today.

So now the software is screwed AND the hardware is screwed! Yay. What a disaster.

This phone is FIVE DAYS OLD. [sigh] If anyone wants an Ultra to mess around with, mine's for sale for CHEAP. PM me or check out Swappa. Thanks for the help guys.
 
SPtheALIEN
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 134
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by m52go View Post
Yeah I effed up BADLY on this one.

To add insult to injury, I woke up an hour ago to find 2 scratches on the front screen...my best guess is that the glass of the Z1 scratched the Ultra when I placed the Z1 on top of the Ultra to compare the two earlier today.

So now the software is screwed AND the hardware is screwed! Yay. What a disaster.

This phone is FIVE DAYS OLD. [sigh] If anyone wants an Ultra to mess around with, mine's for sale for CHEAP. PM me or check out Swappa. Thanks for the help guys.
Keep in mind that you likely just scratched the anti-shatter film, and not the actual screen itself. That film it just so soft, it scratches easy.

I say try the phone out for another week...
 
LordManhattan
Old
#9  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
Posts: 15,002
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kepler-34b
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPtheALIEN View Post
Keep in mind that you likely just scratched the anti-shatter film, and not the actual screen itself. That film it just so soft, it scratches easy.

I say try the phone out for another week...
Yup, he/she will eventually get used to its size.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk
 
bucho2004
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 76
Join Date: Mar 2011
O very found the xperia z ultra huge, for about a week, now I find every other smartphone tiny and unusable. Any other smartphone with a screen size of 5 inches or above is cumbersome to use with one hand, so might aswell go bigger
Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

Thread Tools
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more

Benchmark Your CPU Performance with Mini CPU Integer Script

When it comes to device testing, there are two types of people on XDA. The first … more