Z ultra root or no root

OP Explorer2012

23rd February 2014, 11:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

34 posts
I just bought z ultra
Kindly advice should I root it or not, I have read couple of feedback that its stock is already powerful

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
23rd February 2014, 12:44 PM   |  #2  
Flag Khabarovsk
Thanks Meter: 37

127 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2012

I just bought z ultra
Kindly advice should I root it or not, I have read couple of feedback that its stock is already powerful

First it depends on your desire. And how to receive root read the guide, the first post in this subject.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2569904
23rd February 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #3  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,662

15,002 posts
More
Why do you want/need root?

If you can answer that question; go for it.
23rd February 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #4  
Flag Blackburn
Thanks Meter: 18

202 posts
More
I totally understand the need for root fot a lot of users.......that being said this is the first and only phone ive had in 5 years that I have not felt the need to root/unlock bootloader................................. YET!

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app
24th February 2014, 01:46 AM   |  #5  
Flag New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,013

1,508 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I just bought z ultra

We can't offer advice. If you need access to the root directory for any reason then you will need to...
If not then obviously leave it as is.
24th February 2014, 02:47 AM   |  #6  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,662

15,002 posts
More
All i can really say is; If you have to ask, you don't need it.
24th February 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #7  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 49

230 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan

All i can really say is; If you have to ask, you don't need it.

Yep, because if one needs root, the question is... "What's the most recent / best method?"

My advise, don't worry about root until you need root access. I was doing fine without it until Sony decided to screw up sound enhancements on its latest software update. If you aren't on .136, my advice wait till kit Kat to make a decision on updating/rooting!
24th February 2014, 05:17 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Just to chime in here, I have a desire for root, but I'm still stock/no-root.

I know folks might disagree with me, but after reading pages and pages of howto's, etc. I've determined there is no way to backup your stock phone (TA partition/DRM keys) etc with any of the current methods.

To root you must unlock your boot loader, when you unlock your bootloader, your TA partition and DRM keys are gone.

This means you have voided your warranty and can never restore to a truly stock phone.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know you can revert all the way back to version 532, root the phone and then backup your TA, etc. This is a WHOLE lot of steps that if you aren't careful can leave you with a $700 brick. If your nervous at all about these multi-step processes, than just leave your phone alone.

As many have said, I really haven't even thought about a custom ROM for this phone. The ONLY thing I miss is being able to do a nandroid backup, as it's such a pain to rebuild my phone if something goes wonky.

-TheFixer
24th February 2014, 05:50 AM   |  #9  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,247

2,812 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFixerAK

Just to chime in here, I have a desire for root, but I'm still stock/no-root.

I know folks might disagree with me, but after reading pages and pages of howto's, etc. I've determined there is no way to backup your stock phone (TA partition/DRM keys) etc with any of the current methods.

To root you must unlock your boot loader, when you unlock your bootloader, your TA partition and DRM keys are gone.

This means you have voided your warranty and can never restore to a truly stock phone.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know you can revert all the way back to version 532, root the phone and then backup your TA, etc. This is a WHOLE lot of steps that if you aren't careful can leave you with a $700 brick. If your nervous at all about these multi-step processes, than just leave your phone alone.

As many have said, I really haven't even thought about a custom ROM for this phone. The ONLY thing I miss is being able to do a nandroid backup, as it's such a pain to rebuild my phone if something goes wonky.

-TheFixer

Wimp

I, and many of the other power users/posters (hamdogg, LordManhatton, [NUT], krabappel, DoomLord), have gone back and forth many times and have tested all of the steps. There were lots of Z1 (and a few ZU) bricks, mostly by flashing .290 without bootboundle.

The steps are simple, and you dont even need to unlock the BL to have root on .290/136

Flash [NUT]'s .532
Root w1th Bin4ry's tool
Backup TA
Unlock BL
Upgrade to latest FTF (or if on locked BL follow the steps for .290 and then .136)
24th February 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #10  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 1,856

2,559 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I just bought z ultra

My reasoning:
to root because:
1. I can mod the system app as i like too (camera, quick toggle, xposed, etc)
2. I can do easier and real backup with Titanium Backup
3. I can find alternative ROM when the stock ROM is not there anymore

not to root because:
1. It has unremovable battery, so i don't want to have it died faster with all that plug/unplug ordeal
2. i got all the service that was offered at the time of purchase, i just want to enjoy it as long as i can
3. The stock ROM is enough for me
4. Helium/Carbon Backup is there to substitute TiBu

So each of the way is good in for some reason. For me the the urge to mod is dead if you are not rooted (obvious) but there are a lot of other ways to do a modding, for instance, do your own program might be a better approach to fill on your own needs. There are more than one ways to Rome anyway

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread