Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 47,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How To Update Rooted Moto G ( US Global GSM)

Tip us?
 
secretkloud
Old
(Last edited by secretkloud; 27th February 2014 at 09:48 AM.) Reason: Added Philz recovery for Moto G
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 42
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default [GUIDE] How To Update Rooted Moto G ( US Global GSM)

Hey all,

I noticed many people seem to be having problems with the new OTA update (174.44.1 US). I also tried to update and my Moto G went into a bootloop. After much tinkering, I found a possible solution.

As far as I can tell, the update problems are caused by:

- Xposed modules like Gravitybox (not really sure why)
- Hacks like the H/H+ hack that replaces SystemUI.apk
- Any other mod that changes something in /system

This is what I did:
(Note that I have 4.4 Stock, rooted and PhilZ CWM recovery. Xposed, Gravitybox, H/H+ hack and Logo hack)

- Downloaded the zip from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2653978
- Placed it in the SD of the phone
- Unchecked all modules in Xposed and rebooted
- Rebooted again, this time into PhilZ and installed the update zip from the SD

It showed me an error with SystemUI.apk (and I remembered changing it for the H,H+ hack). So I went and restored the original.

Then I tried again. It went smoothly. And I still have root

Now I'm just waiting to see if the new SystemUI.apk is different from the old one before I restore the hack.


NOTE: For those who can't remember any/all changes made to /system, the stock system.img should be flashed in fastboot mode.


Hope this is useful...


(FIRST THREAD!)


[UPDATE]: I have included my stock SystemUI.apk and .odex. Copy into /system/priv-app, overwrite existing files and set permissions to rw-r--r--.
All Xposed tweaks can be undone by unselecting the modules in the Xposed framework and rebooting.....before rebooting again into recovery..

UPDATE: Added the version of Philz recovery I use, for those with the "this package is for falcon_umts devices : this is a xt1034" error.
Extract into your fastboot folder and issue command:

fastboot flash recovery PhilZ.img

That should set all that straight...
Attached Files
File Type: zip SystemUI.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.18 MB, 311 views)
File Type: zip PhilZ Recovery for Moto G.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.51 MB, 109 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to secretkloud For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
draco259
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 244
Join Date: Nov 2010
When you say stock system.img do you mean system.img_sparsechunk1 2 and 3? Would I just flash them with fastboot flash system system.img? Would it wipe anything other than mods made in the system folder?
 
secretkloud
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 42
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by draco259 View Post
When you say stock system.img do you mean system.img_sparsechunk1 2 and 3? Would I just flash them with fastboot flash system system.img? Would it wipe anything other than mods made in the system folder?
It will return the system folder to default. All changes should be reset, as far as I can tell...
 
serophia
Old
#4  
serophia's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 191
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretkloud View Post
Hey all,

I noticed many people seem to be having problems with the new OTA update (174.44.1 US). I also tried to update and my Moto G went into a bootloop. After much tinkering, I found a possible solution.

As far as I can tell, the update problems are caused by:

- Xposed modules like Gravitybox (not really sure why)
- Hacks like the H/H+ hack that replaces SystemUI.apk
- Any other mod that changes something in /system

This is what I did:
(Note that I have 4.4 Stock, rooted and PhilZ CWM recovery. Xposed, Gravitybox, H/H+ hack and Logo hack)

- Downloaded the zip from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2653978
- Placed it in the SD of the phone
- Unchecked all modules in Xposed and rebooted
- Rebooted again, this time into PhilZ and installed the update zip from the SD

It showed me an error with SystemUI.apk (and I remembered changing it for the H,H+ hack). So I went and restored the original.

Then I tried again. It went smoothly. And I still have root

Now I'm just waiting to see if the new SystemUI.apk is different from the old one before I restore the hack.


NOTE: For those who can't remember any/all changes made to /system, the stock system.img should be flashed in fastboot mode.


Hope this is useful...


(FIRST THREAD!)
Hi can you include your original systemui.apk i lost mines >.<
 
secretkloud
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 42
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by serophia View Post
Hi can you include your original systemui.apk i lost mines >.<
Added to first post...
 
serophia
Old
(Last edited by serophia; 27th February 2014 at 03:29 AM.) Reason: fixed
#6  
serophia's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 191
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretkloud View Post
Added to first post...
i restored recovery, disabled all mods, unrooted, and did a factory reset when i try to install update i get an "error" in stock recovery? Any other suggestions i should do?

EDIT: nvm fixed by flashing system.img adaway was the problem for me >.<
 
KvnJT
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Question Error when in recovery

I downloaded the zip but when I go to CWM recovery and try to install it from the SD it shows me an error.

it says; This package is for "falcon_umts" devices; this is a xt1032.

any help?
 
mokkami
Old
#8  
mokkami's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 93
Posts: 426
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune (IN), Düsseldorf (DE)
Maybe you'll find the solution to your problem here.
The Following User Says Thank You to mokkami For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
KvnJT
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokkami View Post
Maybe you'll find the solution to your problem here.
thanks dude, now I just gotta know how to change the recovery haha
 
mdentener
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 48
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Thanks

Thanks

This guide allowed me to apply the latest OTA update on Retail GB (uk version). At first I was on regular CWM (not phil's touch version).
My phone was identified as XT1034 and the OTA update is for XT1032, so I flashed phil's CWM for XT1032.
After that it said my phone was XT1032 and the update was intended for Falcon, so I flashed Phil's CWM for falcon.

After that applied the update from within Phil's CWM and all worked perfectly.

Note: I didn't modify system, all I modified was: Custom recovery, root and xposed framework (gravitybox etc.)

The Following User Says Thank You to mdentener For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes