I noticed many people seem to be having problems with the new OTA update (174.44.1 US). I also tried to update and my Moto G went into a bootloop. After much tinkering, I found a possible solution.
As far as I can tell, the update problems are caused by:
- Xposed modules like Gravitybox (not really sure why)
- Hacks like the H/H+ hack that replaces SystemUI.apk
- Any other mod that changes something in /system
This is what I did:
(Note that I have 4.4 Stock, rooted and PhilZ CWM recovery. Xposed, Gravitybox, H/H+ hack and Logo hack)
- Downloaded the zip from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2653978
- Placed it in the SD of the phone
- Unchecked all modules in Xposed and rebooted
- Rebooted again, this time into PhilZ and installed the update zip from the SD
It showed me an error with SystemUI.apk (and I remembered changing it for the H,H+ hack). So I went and restored the original.
Then I tried again. It went smoothly. And I still have root
Now I'm just waiting to see if the new SystemUI.apk is different from the old one before I restore the hack.
NOTE: For those who can't remember any/all changes made to /system, the stock system.img should be flashed in fastboot mode.
Hope this is useful...
[UPDATE]: I have included my stock SystemUI.apk and .odex. Copy into /system/priv-app, overwrite existing files and set permissions to rw-r--r--.
All Xposed tweaks can be undone by unselecting the modules in the Xposed framework and rebooting.....before rebooting again into recovery..
UPDATE: Added the version of Philz recovery I use, for those with the "this package is for falcon_umts devices : this is a xt1034" error.
Extract into your fastboot folder and issue command:
fastboot flash recovery PhilZ.img
That should set all that straight...