Atrix 2 SOFTBRICK - Help Please!

OP Benseri

7th June 2013, 12:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
Hi ya'll.

I have managed to softbrick my Atrix 2 (I do hope it's ONLY a soft brick...).

I'll try to describe my situation as accurely as I can:

First the current status of my phone - When I turn it on it boots, and I can even call it, and it will ring, and I can answer! - but the screen is off, and the phone is practically unusable...
When I connect the phone through USB to my PC, RSDLite recognates it, and I can try to flash firmwares from there (and also using the moto-fastboot commands directly).

It seems that the screen is off even through the bootloader phase - it dosen't show the Moto logo when it boots at all..

One time I did manage to boot it, and the screen was ON - but after a few hours it whent pitch black again...

Now I'll describe what led me to this situation:
My atrix 2 was bought online from ebay - from an Honk Kong store (I live in Israel).
It doesn't have any AT&T logo on it, and under it's battery it has these details written on it:
MB865
CHWG3219AA
AP3378AE7U2
L646QU228Q

And some more numbers... (If this has any use for somebody I can attach them as well).
From RSDLite this information is printed to me:

ESN: 356378040836041
Technology: WCDMA
Software Version: 6.7.2-226-EDICS-10
Flex Version: NOTAVAILABLE
Bootloader Version: 0a72
DRM Version: N/A

At first it was running the official ICS firmware - but I don't know which one! I didn't know that it was important to know what version if first arrived with - So I rooted it, installed the A2 bootstrapper, and through it Installed PA3, including the needed Gapps.
It was running just fine with PA3, but I preferred returning to the originaI ICS firmware, cause it was faster to me.

OK - now this is were things started to go wrong -
It seemed that I needed to know what was the original ICS Firmware that my phone had come with, inorder to download it from here (sbf.droid-developers.org/edison/), and flash it through Fastboot using RSDLite.

So because it came from the Hong Kong, I thought it might be MEREAT, or SEREAT - And I just tried flashing this version:
6.7.2_EDEM-18-SEARET_cfc.xml.zip

Blah... it was resulted in Failed to flash firmware: cdt.bin - phone returned FAIL.
And now my phone was stuck in Fastboot failure screen.
OK - I thought, this was probably the wrong firmware, i'll just try a different one.

Now I don't remember the next steps I did, because it was all kind of stressfull - but I just tried flashing all the mideastern ICS firmwares (and maybe also the GB firmwares as well) - and non of them worked (all failed the same - with cdt.bin failure).

Now the screen had gone OFF, and I became realy woried that the phone was hardbricked...
Luckely - despite the screen going OFF, it was still (and is still) showing up in RSDLite, and I was able to try other firmware's to flash, hoping I would eventually end up with the right one!

Some where in a post about how to downgrade to ICS, I read that someone failed to flash any firmware, but the InlineFlashing_Edison_67.21.125_CFC_P3_APBP.xml.zi p one. So despertely enough, I tried this firmware, although I didn't think my Atrix is running AT&T US firmware originally...
Somehow this firmware flashed! but the screen was still off....

Later I tried to flash using Altered restore-to-ics scripts (using the moto-fastboot command) - And with it I successfully flashed p3_edison-edison-user-4.0.4-6.7.2_GC-220-EDS-3-65-release-keys.
But still...the Screen IS OFF....

Any help would be highly appriciated!!!!
Thank You!

Ben.
7th June 2013, 04:03 PM   |  #2  
Flag Nowhere, Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 618

1,242 posts
More
Oh no, just stop what you're doing and thoroughly read about what you are doing before you do anything else. I don't know how you haven't bricked your phone by now. If at all possible you need to find out what the original firmware version is and download the proper FXZ for that firmware version, and for future reference if you don't have an AT&T phone then you should never, ever, ever flash AT&T firmware.

Brought to you by time and relative dimensions in space.
7th June 2013, 05:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Do you have any idea how I can find out what was the original firmware at my current situation?

Thank you!

Sent from my MB865 using xda app-developers app
7th June 2013, 05:24 PM   |  #4  
Flag Kaunas
Thanks Meter: 201

393 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benseri

Do you have any idea how I can find out what was the original firmware at my current situation?

Thank you!

If your phone is International (Retail) - you can try flashing JB leak 3. If at&t then flash last ICS 125.
7th June 2013, 07:57 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Is this the 3rd JB leak?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2147600
8th June 2013, 03:11 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
I Tried the Jb leak... It also fails on cdt.bin.
Maybe Ive managed to **** my cdt.bin, and now it prevents me from installing the right ROM? Is there a way to override the phones check of the cdt.bin?
The only cdt.bin it allows me to install is the AT&T one...

8th June 2013, 06:27 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 3,147

2,269 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I Tried the Jb leak... It also fails on cdt.bin.
Maybe Ive managed to **** my cdt.bin, and now it prevents me from installing the right ROM? Is there a way to override the phones check of the cdt.bin?
The only cdt.bin it allows me to install is the AT&T one...

That is because you flashed the AT&T FXZ. Your ONLY possible way to fix it, is to use BMM and backup your cdt.bin and then erase the cdt.bin, then try and flash the proper cdt.bin file with fast boot commands, then try and flash the proper FXZ for your PROPER version of the phone.

I am not going to give any specific details or a how to on this because it is VERY dangerous, but you can search there are a few threads in here on how to do it, or something very similar which you can adapt.

next time, read, read again, then read a third time, and make sure you know 100% that you know and understand what you are doing before you do it. You might be stuck with the AT&T firmware at this point, if you can not do what I am describing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimbridgman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2013, 06:50 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Wow, it does sound complicated, I hope I can achieve it.
Do you know if the fact the screen has turned Off is related with the damaged cdt.bin?
Besides that - how could I guess at this point what was the original firmware, and thus the original cdt.bin?

Thanks a lot!

9th June 2013, 02:34 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 3,147

2,269 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Wow, it does sound complicated, I hope I can achieve it.
Do you know if the fact the screen has turned Off is related with the damaged cdt.bin?
Besides that - how could I guess at this point what was the original firmware, and thus the original cdt.bin?

Thanks a lot!

At this point I would just pick the firmware you really want and stick with that. The fact that you have not bricked means you probably have an SEARET/MEARET version by default.

I am not quite sure if the screen issue is related, which makes me think that you might have an Asian me865, because it uses a little different video driver, but all of this is just a thought/guess at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbridgman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2013, 11:10 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Ok, Thanks. Any idea on how I can install BMM through the fastboot commands? I cant seem to find a guide to this in the forum...

Thanks again for all the help...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread