Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Galaxy S4 Bricked?!?!? HELP!!!

OP billbusby

26th February 2014, 05:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
So this is my first post because I can normally find what I'm looking for, except for in this case.

First off my phone, Galaxy S4 Model SGH-I337 running Android 4.2.2 rooted. No custom rom installed, i.e. Cyanogenmod. I recently bought some new batteries and a new charger which I had been using for about two weeks before my problem arose.

I came home one night plugged my phone in to charge and woke up to find it unresponsive. I tried a battery pull and found my phone turns on for about 3 seconds showing the samsung custom screen with the padlock only to shut off again. Same thing happens not matter how many times I perform a battery pull. I tried plugging into my computer but the phone is not detected.

I tried a battery pull and booting into safe mode and debugging mode but the phone just shuts off after 3 seconds no matter what.

I'm not sure if this is a true hard brick since when I perform a battery pull the phone starts and the buttons seem to work, at least enough to enter safe or debugging mode.

I have not seen any threads where the phone momentarily turns on after battery pull only to shut off quickly.

Has anyone run into this problem before and is there anyway to fix it???
26th February 2014, 05:53 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 814

2,064 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbusby

So this is my first post because I can normally find what I'm looking for, except for in this case.

First off my phone, Galaxy S4 Model SGH-I337 running Android 4.2.2 rooted. No custom rom installed, i.e. Cyanogenmod. I recently bought some new batteries and a new charger which I had been using for about two weeks before my problem arose.

I came home one night plugged my phone in to charge and woke up to find it unresponsive. I tried a battery pull and found my phone turns on for about 3 seconds showing the samsung custom screen with the padlock only to shut off again. Same thing happens not matter how many times I perform a battery pull. I tried plugging into my computer but the phone is not detected.

I tried a battery pull and booting into safe mode and debugging mode but the phone just shuts off after 3 seconds no matter what.

I'm not sure if this is a true hard brick since when I perform a battery pull the phone starts and the buttons seem to work, at least enough to enter safe or debugging mode.

I have not seen any threads where the phone momentarily turns on after battery pull only to shut off quickly.

Has anyone run into this problem before and is there anyway to fix it???

The phone didn't brick itself. So, if you didn't do anything to it and just found it that way (as you said), I would think it is a hardware problem either with the phone or the battery. Have you tried a different battery? If you rule out a defective battery, I would say it is a hardware problem with the phone.
26th February 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 368

783 posts
This used to happen to skyrockets due to stuck power button

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
26th February 2014, 09:22 AM   |  #4  

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK

This used to happen to skyrockets due to stuck power button

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This right here ^

My friend has a T-Mobile GS4 and same thing happened to him. It would only turn on when he would pull the battery and put it back in, but it would turn off soon after. Turns out his power button was jammed. He went and go it replaced.

Try this: Pull your battery and put it back in. If your phone turns on momentarily without you pressing anything then the power button is the problem.
26th February 2014, 01:21 PM   |  #5  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 23

241 posts
Donate to Me
More
Are you able to enter download mode..or recovery?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
27th February 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrao

Are you able to enter download mode..or recovery?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

No i can't enter either because the phone shuts off after 3 seconds no matter what I do
27th February 2014, 04:26 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBottle

This right here ^

My friend has a T-Mobile GS4 and same thing happened to him. It would only turn on when he would pull the battery and put it back in, but it would turn off soon after. Turns out his power button was jammed. He went and go it replaced.

Try this: Pull your battery and put it back in. If your phone turns on momentarily without you pressing anything then the power button is the problem.

Is there any way I can take the phone apart and fix this? I don't think returning the phone is an option since my phone is rooted.
28th May 2014, 11:18 AM   |  #8  

11 posts
Quote:

Is there any way I can take the phone apart and fix this? I don't think returning the phone is an option since my phone is rooted.

Your exact problem just happened to me. Were you able to fix it? I'm dying to know!
28th May 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 644

1,290 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

There's disassembly guides/videos if you want to try, you could search that and just take a look at the mechanism.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running Light ROM

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread