5,598,718 Members 37,208 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T 4.4 Kitkat Update NB1 Should I install or Not?

Tip us?

jermo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default AT&T 4.4 Kitkat Update NB1 Should I install or Not?

Somewhat of a noob here so bare with me...

I have an AT&T S4 here in the US and just downloaded the 4.4 kitkat update but postponed it from installing. I imagine firmware comes with this where i wont be able to install a custom recovery and ROM, is that correct? I have my phone rooted which is running MK2 but have yet to install a recovery and ROM on it. I read on AT&T's website that i can only postpone the update 3 times for 4 hours at a time so i guess i have to figure this out soon. What do you guys think? Install the update OR immediately install a recovery and a new ROM so i am not forced to install this update? Thanks for the help fellas, this site has helped me so much already!

Here is info on the AT&T website http://www.att.com/esupport/software...id=sUc0HQQUHF_
T-Mobile G2

www.jermo.net
The Following User Says Thank You to jermo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hankbizzo5
Old
Thanks Meter 190

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermo View Post
Somewhat of a noob here so bare with me...

I have an AT&T S4 here in the US and just downloaded the 4.4 kitkat update but postponed it from installing. I imagine firmware comes with this where i wont be able to install a custom recovery and ROM, is that correct? I have my phone rooted which is running MK2 but have yet to install a recovery and ROM on it. I read on AT&T's website that i can only postpone the update 3 times for 4 hours at a time so i guess i have to figure this out soon. What do you guys think? Install the update OR immediately install a recovery and a new ROM so i am not forced to install this update? Thanks for the help fellas, this site has helped me so much already!

Here is info on the AT&T website http://www.att.com/esupport/software...id=sUc0HQQUHF_
At the moment yes that is correct.. You can freeze att update to postpone things while you figure it out..
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXXX
Are you always this dense?
SEARCH BAR

jermo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankbizzo5 View Post
At the moment yes that is correct.. You can freeze att update to postpone things while you figure it out..

well yeah i know i can postpone which i did and will continue to do, im wondering if i should hurry up and install a custom recovery and ROM to not have to install this update? Im also wondering what recovery people like the most Clockwork Recovery or Team Win Recovery?
T-Mobile G2

www.jermo.net

beast3300
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
well yeah i know i can postpone which i did and will continue to do, im wondering if i should hurry up and install a custom recovery and ROM to not have to install this update? Im also wondering what recovery people like the most Clockwork Recovery or Team Win Recovery?
I don't think there is custom recovery for you.... Unless you are talking about safe strap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

John The Rhino
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
You CAN NOT install CWM or TWRP on your mk2 S4. Only Safestrap 3.71 is a recovery that works. This is common knowledge that is posted throughout the forums on XDA. Search is your friend. But here, let me give you everything you need so you can not brick your phone in the first place. Please read it & thank the op in the threads. Good luck.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616221

an0ther
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Check out the "all things mk2 nb1" topic. It's in this section. It tells you which files to freeze or if you safestrap and install custom rom your fine. Postponing the update does not mean it won't do it tonight all by itself.

JTrocks
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default Dev Time Estimates?

Does anyone have an estimate on about how long it will take devs to analyze the security of the new bootloader for the possibility of custom ROMS/recoveries? We can always hope that AT&T/Samsung has opened up a new exploit while trying to fix the old one.

cmtmcelroy
Old
(Last edited by cmtmcelroy; 27th February 2014 at 01:15 AM.) Reason: add more
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrocks View Post
Does anyone have an estimate on about how long it will take devs to analyze the security of the new bootloader for the possibility of custom ROMS/recoveries? We can always hope that AT&T/Samsung has opened up a new exploit while trying to fix the old one.

If there is 1 thing I've learned here...don't ask for a time frame. It piss them off, and that's the last thing we want. Just use titanium backup to freeze the AT&T updater and wait. I've waited this long for 4.4 a few more weeks won't kill me.

jermo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast3300 View Post
I don't think there is custom recovery for you.... Unless you are talking about safe strap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
well i just installed CWM from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2314494

It installed fine and my phone boots into recovery and back into android just fine. after the CWM install i got to the second post in that thread where it said not to install CWM or else it will brick my phone Jesus too much to read and go through now, used to be so easy back in the day on my G1 and other phones. Now i guess i have to install the stock rom to get rid of CWM
T-Mobile G2

www.jermo.net

jermo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Rhino View Post
You CAN NOT install CWM or TWRP on your mk2 S4. Only Safestrap 3.71 is a recovery that works. This is common knowledge that is posted throughout the forums on XDA. Search is your friend. But here, let me give you everything you need so you can not brick your phone in the first place. Please read it & thank the op in the threads. Good luck.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616221
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0ther View Post
Check out the "all things mk2 nb1" topic. It's in this section. It tells you which files to freeze or if you safestrap and install custom rom your fine. Postponing the update does not mean it won't do it tonight all by itself.
nice thanks guys! i missed that thread, i was in a totally different one...and yeah it will do it itself here in prob 8 hours so i guess that is why i am trying to install a recovery and ROM so i dont have to update
T-Mobile G2

www.jermo.net