Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 39,929 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Android How to scan for hidden access points

Tip us?

Shareed2k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Android How to scan for hidden access points

how can i do programmatically scan for hidden Wireless Access Points, in android ? getScanResults give me only visible Access Points , but i need to discover hidden too.

When programmatically scanning Wi-Fi networks (using WifiManager.startScan() and WifiManager.getScanResults()), when the SSID broadcast is disabled on an access point and the access point has never been connected to the device, the ScanResult element for this access point does not appear in the list of access points returned.

thenobol
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareed2k View Post
how can i do programmatically scan for hidden Wireless Access Points, in android ? getScanResults give me only visible Access Points , but i need to discover hidden too.

When programmatically scanning Wi-Fi networks (using WifiManager.startScan() and WifiManager.getScanResults()), when the SSID broadcast is disabled on an access point and the access point has never been connected to the device, the ScanResult element for this access point does not appear in the list of access points returned.
I'm pretty sure, that's not given by the android SDK - using root and some c based tools or busybox/roottoolbox could help :/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Keep Calm, and push the THANKS button
Nexus 5