Tip us?

spicyalan
Old
(Last edited by spicyalan; 24th January 2014 at 09:11 PM.) Reason: addition
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Default [DEV][KERNEL][Overclock] CM10.1 (4.2.2) - 3.1 kernel

To All,

I have Compiled a kernel, compatible with Derartem's CM10.1 (4.2.2). It is actually a clone of DerArtems kernel tree, with overclock additions (some borrowed from Xoom and AC100).

Overclock up to 1400Mhz (1600Mhz is also available in the overclocking list, but crashes hard on my Folio, altough it uses similar speed&voltages as the Xoom) -> Update: works at 1.6Ghz (Folio can't handle the overvolting of the Xoom, but is stable at lower voltage). However.. It does not really benefit from 1.6Ghz in benchmarks (probably due to worse multipliers)
I have also changed parameters of the 3D clocks to become similar to the Xoom overclock, so it might also have overclocked the GPU (but I'm not able to test this)

In V2 I have tried to reclaim some memory. GPU uses 128Mb, but 64Mb won't work in Jelly Bean. The HDMI Framebuffer uses 16Mb, so I have reclaimed this space (result: probably broken HDMI)
->361Mb usable

In V3: LP1 state

In V4: LP2 state seems to work better than LP1 (immediate wake-up, no double click of power button). No SOD on my unit up to 1.4Ghz. Not sure what it will do for battery life in sleep (processor still goes to deep sleep state, so impact might be limited). Also first step made to disable battery alarm.

V1: only OC (1.4Ghz works)
V1 OC boot image
V2: OC up to 1.6Ghz, + some memory remapped
V2 OC+mempatch boot image
V3: OC up to 1.6Ghz, + LP1 sleep
V3 OC+mempatch+LP1 boot image
V4: OC up to 1.6Ghz + LP2 sleep
V4 V4 second download source
V4b: OC up to 1.6Ghz, buth with (standard) LP0 sleep
V4b
V5: OC up to 1.6Ghz, LP0 sleep and some clock cleanups (e.g. removed 216Mhz)
V5
V6: V5 + Workaround for 1.6Ghz SOD
V6 link
V7: V6 + Deadline I/O scheduler (can be enabled in developer mode or your favourite overclock app). Default stays the NOOP scheduler
V7
V8: Try SOD workaround on the MMC
V8 link

Source:
Source

Be careful. I'm not responsible to damages to your Folio. Overclocking might destroy your tablet
(Tough, a burned Folio it is a perfect excuse to buy a new tablet... I can really recommend the Nexus 10 or the Galaxy Note 10.1 )

How to install:
Be sure to have DerArtem's CM10.1 release (only tested with alpha2)
run these commands with fastboot (check forum on how to install this on your PC. Enter fastboot mode on the folio by 3xpower+Volume Up):

Code:
fastboot erase linux
fastboot flash linux boot-ovc.img
Overclock can be enabled in "Instellingen -> Prestaties -> Processor -> Maximale kloksnelheid"
(translated to English this should be something like "Setup -> Performance -> Processor -> Maximum clockspeed")
Don't be too quick to set the overclocking speed at boot until you tested it well.

What to expect?
1000Mhz (no overclock)
Antutu: 8211
Linpack Multithread: 80
3DMark: 1461 (on Par with a stock Xoom)
1400Mhz (max overclock)
Antutu: 11654
Linpack Multithread: 121
3DMark: 1915

Credits:
DerArtem
Nopy
m32
guevor
The Cyanogenmod Team
The other Tegra Dev Teams where we have borrowed code (Adam, GTab, Vega, AC100, Xoom)

EDIT (known issue): Some more SOD issues come up when putting the Folio on standby at high clocks, but it is quite stable during use.

SOD's
Apparently not everyone has SOD's, but for some it is still a problem.
- Many use advanced wifi lock: this works, but keeps the tablet completely on (hight battery usage)
- At 1.6Ghz I also have an SOD (reproducable), but can be worked around with the app "Overclock Widget". Here you can set a max speed of 1600 in use, and 1000 when screen is off. Maybe this is also usable for the SOD at 1000Mhz (set e.g. to 600 when screen is off, overclock kernel is not necessary).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-05-20-13-37.png
Views:	214
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2435402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-05-23-18-31.png
Views:	197
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2435403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-05-20-20-57.png
Views:	186
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	2435404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-05-23-24-24.png
Views:	165
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	2435405  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spicyalan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

miazza
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Nice job spicyalan.
Just one question, why OC instructions are in german ? Does this mean that the menu will switch to german or the ui will remain as it is now ?

Onother question, whay did you try to reclaim memory ?

Thanks

spicyalan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by miazza View Post
Nice job spicyalan.
Just one question, why OC instructions are in german ? Does this mean that the menu will switch to german or the ui will remain as it is now ?

Onother question, whay did you try to reclaim memory ?

Thanks
They are in dutch, but you will get them in the language your system is setup.
After compiling and installing the kernel several times, I was just too lazy to set the language of my folio to "english" for explaining
(You also need to set the setup app in developer mode (tapping on the build number numerous times)

One of the problems the folio is slow in 4.2, especially task switching, is the lack of memory (even zram does not solve this).
Out of 512mb:
- 128Mb is reserved for the GPU
- 8Mb for the framebuffer
- 16Mb for the hdmi framebuffer
Setting the gpu memory to 64 works, but fails to accellerate some 3d content (even outside games). This would have worked in gingerbread, but not jelly bean. I couldn't try 96Mb (crash at boot), so it needs to stay at 128. Framebuffer is also a nono, but the framebuffer ram of the hdmi can be reused (if you don't use the hdmi)

For the SOD, more investigation is needed.
No folio ROM was ever free of SODs (not even stock), but some roms have more problems with it than others. For me, gingerbread (7.2?) And the most recent derartem was the most stable in that regard. It is not easy to know where the SODs come from, but with the overclocking, I noticed it is worse at higher overclock. I'm starting to guess it has something to do with the processor going from total sleep to max speed too fast (if you prevent cpu sleep, it also helps the sod, but using a lot of battery during sleep. Some roms did this).
Same with wifi.

I'm going to test a new version of the rom soon (derartem's version, with cm10.1 upstream, and oc kernel), so stay tuned (but be patient...)

raptor92
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Very nice work! Finally an overclocked kernel that can increase a bit performances.
Thank you man

Inviato dal mio folio100 utilizzando Tapatalk
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001):
Rom: AriesVE DevConnection Team CM 11 Release 4 [ION+PMEM ADSP]
Kernel: K^Kernel 3.4.x OC/UV 370MB [ION+PMEM ADSP]
Recovery: Team Win Recovery Project (latest)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spicyalan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
I have put an experiment online with the LP state

According to tegra documentation, there are 3 states:
-LP0: shut down everything, only a few interrups can wake the device
-LP1: shut down a lot, but more things can wakeup the device
-LP2: shut down less.

If I look in the the sources, there are only 2 devboards that use LP0, and the betelgeuse (folio) is one of them. But, as all other boards can only use LP1 (andseeing the exceptionally bad SOD track record of the folio), I would be surprised if the folio as actually able to to this.
I have places a version online that uses LP1 state, that I will test (but as I don't have the problem as often, it could be nice if others could also test to confirm if it is better or not). I was not able to have an SOD today on a clock lower than 1.2Ghz.

I did experience sometimes that I have to push twice on the power button to wake it up (reminds me of CM7.2)

next to that, I also suspect the wifi driver of some SOD'in (especially in higher overclock mode). It shouldn't actually shut down in sleep mode....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spicyalan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

miazza
Old
(Last edited by miazza; 8th December 2013 at 02:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
Hello,
I was on the way to try V3: OC up to 1.6Ghz, + LP1 sleep but the lik seems dead...

Can you check ?

Thanks

PS: V1 works great

spicyalan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Hello,
I was on the way to try V3: OC up to 1.6Ghz, + LP1 sleep but the lik seems dead...

Can you check ?

Thanks

PS: V1 works great
Sorry,

Typo in the filename.

I think the lp1 sleep might nog be the answer to the sod (which is worse on higher clocks). But worth a try.
Probably the wifi driver is te cause (wifi lock is the only thing that keeps sod away at high clocks). At 1000mhz, my folio has no sod.

miazza
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyalan View Post
At 1000mhz, my folio has no sod.
This is really something struggleing me. I have SOD:
- every boot is I do forget to unlock my profile before of sleep (I have two profiles)
- almost every time i put the tablet in std-by

what a strange behaviour and difference...

m32
Old
(Last edited by m32; 9th December 2013 at 10:17 PM.) Reason: update
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
This is really something struggleing me. I have SOD:
- every boot is I do forget to unlock my profile before of sleep (I have two profiles)
- almost every time i put the tablet in std-by

what a strange behaviour and difference...
the same is here - any action with screensaver ends with reboot

branch android-tegra-nv-3.1 i my case is stabler - i'v no sods than rel-15r7

spicyalan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by m32 View Post
the same is here - any action with screensaver ends with reboot

branch android-tegra-nv-3.1 i my case is stabler - i'v no sods than rel-15r7
I have compared both tree's, and it seems rel-15r7 is +500 patches ahead, but also 136 behind. Most changes are now useless (e.g. many refer to the old partition system), but I have found a few wifi and SOD fixes in there not present in rel15r7. But they need to be hand-picked and checked.