[Q] Is my note hard bricked now?

Search This thread

myeviltwin

Feb 21, 2014
Gurgaon
This is going to be a long story.

Had my note with me for about 3 years now.. Was waiting for the warranty to expire before I rooted it but I just never got to it.. So I was on Stock ROM and kernel all this time.

So last Friday (3 days back) was its doomsday.. had just replied to a text message, locked the phone and that was the last time I saw it working :crying:
It had switched off and when I tried to switch it back on it was stuck in bootloop, on the 'samsung galaxy note n7000' screen to be precise.. did some googling, came to xda forums, got that I need to get me recovery.. Vol Up + Home + Power.. nothing.. it just restarted and bought me to the boot note n7000 screen.. searched this now on xda,. got that I need to check if I have the download mode.. Vol Down + Home + Power and voila its alive, I had the download option.
Now from various threads I got that the next step would be install a kernel with recovery option it and I felt most recommended were Phil'z kernels.. So that is what I did. I downloaded Odin v3.09 and (not able to post URLs since a new user) Philz kernel (PhilZ-cwm6-XXLT9-ORA-5.11.2.tar) but it always got stuck at zimage.. tried 3 diff cables and 4 diff usb ports.. turned out the culprit was Odin version.. downloaded v 1.30 and it worked.. I was able to flash it to Philz kernel with a pass in Odin.. Tried to see if I could get the recovery option now but nada.. still stuck at the boot logo screen. Tried other Philz kernels for n7000 to see if they would do the trick.. I tried (philz_touch_6.07.9-n7000.tar.md5) and (philz_touch_6.12.8-n7000.tar.md5) but both got stuck at zimage so I left it at the cwm6 one.
Now read other threads and I got that the way to go back to stock kernel and flash the stock rom as well.. so downloaded the stock indian JB Rom (N7000DDLSC_N7000ODDLSC_N7000DDLS6_HOME.tar.md5) from sammobile's firmware and this stock kernel (DDLRI N7000), can't figure out which thread I downloaded this from though. So I flashed the kernel first and it was a pass and the odin mode screen showed, custom bin count as 1 and current binary as samsung official. Next I tried to flash the stock rom but Odin got stuck at 'factoryfs.img'. Then dunno why I thought that stock kernel is bad and decided to go to back to Philz kernel.. the one that I was able to flash successfully. I did it via Odin and it was a pass, the phone restarted and it hasn't switched on since. I mean I don't have even the download mode now.

So in short, no recovery mode, no download mode, and no boot loop screen as well.. I have tried to see if its in deep freeze or not, I mean whether the screen is not displaying anything and still be able to go to download mode to see if ODIN is able to detect it but it ain't working. Also if I try to charge it, nothings displayed on the screen but it does get warm

Do I have any hope in reviving it on my own? I have tried to contact fellow xda mates here in gurgaon to see if they can lend me their usb jig yet to see their response.. Is it worth it to spend money to get one of my own? Any idea what the fault might me and if all's lost how much would samsung charge me on fixing it.

treacherous_hawk

Dec 22, 2012
Samsung would definitely charge too much, but i dont see anything wrong that you might have done to end up in this situation. I would suggest you to use a fully charged battery first to see if you can access download or recovery mode and if you dont have spare battery try to use external charger to charge only battery outside of phone, insert in phone and try the download mode or the recovery mode. USB jig shouldn't be too expensive if you want to try that after charging the battery and you can also make USB jig yourself if you understand those things.
Cheers!!!

Reactions: myeviltwin

myeviltwin

Feb 21, 2014
Gurgaon
Well I am trying to figure out where to buy the resistors to buy from.. Dad has a soldering kit so should be able to use that.. Yes I am afraid Samsung will charge me a bomb for this.. and on top of it I had bought a new battery just a day before.. Now I don't have an external charger to charge the battery separately.. Doesn't the device heating up mean that its charging?

treacherous_hawk

Dec 22, 2012
Well I am trying to figure out where to buy the resistors to buy from.. Dad has a soldering kit so should be able to use that.. Yes I am afraid Samsung will charge me a bomb for this.. and on top of it I had bought a new battery just a day before.. Now I don't have an external charger to charge the battery separately.. Doesn't the device heating up mean that its charging?

It may mean that its charging as there is no way to check, purchase these, very inexpensive:
http://imshopping.rediff.com/imgsho...battery-charger-4-blackberry-nokia-htc-lg.JPG

Not advertising, not promoting just showing the picture. You would get it from any local shop.

myeviltwin

Feb 21, 2014
Gurgaon
Okay, will get one.. So you think there's still hope for my poor phone :)

Can't figure out why its lost its download screen.

myeviltwin

Feb 21, 2014
Gurgaon
Had gone on a work related trip hence the gap.. Got an external charger but didn't help.. same result..

Too much of a hassle to get the resistors where i live.. Have ordered one for myself now.. and that I believe is going to be my last hope or else I am going to have a very expensive paperweight.

Do you think it would be worth to get it checked by Samsung.. I hope they do give at least an estimate of the repair cost.

From what I have read in the forums here Samsung would charge around 260 $ on a new motherboard which would cost around 260$ and with the same amount I can buy a new Moto G.. so that's that.. waiting for the jig and then will make a call on what to do..

Please let me know if there is something else I can do to salvage this phone. Thanks

treacherous_hawk

Dec 22, 2012
Had gone on a work related trip hence the gap.. Got an external charger but didn't help.. same result..

Too much of a hassle to get the resistors where i live.. Have ordered one for myself now.. and that I believe is going to be my last hope or else I am going to have a very expensive paperweight.

Do you think it would be worth to get it checked by Samsung.. I hope they do give at least an estimate of the repair cost.

From what I have read in the forums here Samsung would charge around 260 $ on a new motherboard which would cost around 260$ and with the same amount I can buy a new Moto G.. so that's that.. waiting for the jig and then will make a call on what to do..

Please let me know if there is something else I can do to salvage this phone. Thanks

Yes, try the JIG and if that too doesn't work, get an estimate atleast from Samsung (no harm in it). There are always repair technicians in the famous market (if you know which place i am referring to)

myeviltwin

Feb 21, 2014
Gurgaon
Yes, try the JIG and if that too doesn't work, get an estimate atleast from Samsung (no harm in it). There are always repair technicians in the famous market (if you know which place i am referring to)

Got the jig today.. Still nothing :( the screen remains black even if I plug in the jig.. No download mode.. Connecting it to pc after removing the jig, with ODIN on also doesn't show any sign of life.. Guess will take it to the samsung service center and will ask for their estimate.. If they charge a paisa above 5k going for the Moto G then..

The jig works, I tried it on me mum's old galaxy y so has to be the phone only.. Thanks Hawk for all the help.. and regarding the famous market I think you were referring to Gaffar isn't it :)

treacherous_hawk

Dec 22, 2012
Got the jig today.. Still nothing :( the screen remains black even if I plug in the jig.. No download mode.. Connecting it to pc after removing the jig, with ODIN on also doesn't show any sign of life.. Guess will take it to the samsung service center and will ask for their estimate.. If they charge a paisa above 5k going for the Moto G then..

The jig works, I tried it on me mum's old galaxy y so has to be the phone only.. Thanks Hawk for all the help.. and regarding the famous market I think you were referring to Gaffar isn't it :)

Yes that is the market i am referring to, i know someone there infact that guy used to work as a Manager in Samsung Service center, now he is running his own business.

myeviltwin

Feb 21, 2014
Gurgaon
Yes that is the market i am referring to, i know someone there infact that guy used to work as a Manager in Samsung Service center, now he is running his own business.

That's nice.. its a always a worry that you might get ripped off there :) Let me visit the service center today and see what they come back with.. If all fails will PM you for your friends details and take it to him.

myeviltwin

Feb 21, 2014
Gurgaon
They are charging me 8k - 9k.. :crying:

The mobo has failed and needs replacement. Seems like its time to say to bbye to my good old note.. and to top it, I think Note has spoiled me as well.. I had a friends moto g to try its look and feel.. it seemed so puny compared to my note and didn't like it the way it was :( don't understand why didn't they give an expandable memory slot as well..

Looks like am going to shell out more than 20k for my new phone now :( Hawk do you mind PM'ing me the contact details of the guy you know in Gaffar market.. Have to go to CP today so might as well give it a shot there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung would definitely charge too much, but i dont see anything wrong that you might have done to end up in this situation. I would suggest you to use a fully charged battery first to see if you can access download or recovery mode and if you dont have spare battery try to use external charger to charge only battery outside of phone, insert in phone and try the download mode or the recovery mode. USB jig shouldn't be too expensive if you want to try that after charging the battery and you can also make USB jig yourself if you understand those things.
    Cheers!!!