Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Getting into a wireless network without the WEP key

OP 6680abhi

19th May 2006, 07:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

78 posts
My friend was boasting about how secure his network is and how nobody could ever hack into it. I am able to pick it up on my Universal, but it asks me for the WEP code. It would be very funny if I could use his connection after all his boasting :twisted: ! So, is there any app that can do this - perhaps by guessing all possible combinations until it gains access, or any other way?

Thanks
20th May 2006, 08:12 AM   |  #2  
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK
Thanks Meter: 9

1,937 posts
More
WEP is an older security method that has been proven to be hackable and especially true if the 64-bit version is being used.

There are tools around to hack WEP security, but I doubt it is for PPC. Even for PC, it requires some drivers for the wireless card, and a lot of the wireless card are not supported, including Centrino.

Lets assume that you have the appropriate equipment. Depending on the key size your friend used, e.g. 64 / 128 bits, you are required to be there to capture enough data (approx 500Mb for 128bits, I think) to get enough 'clue' to decode the key being used.

Finally, lets assume you had the key. You boasting friend may have a second layer of protection with wireless MAC address filtering, which filter out un authorized units based on MAC address. Of cource, MAC address can be spoof, but doubt there are any easy method of PPC unit yet.
20th May 2006, 05:33 PM   |  #3  

14 posts
You need another laptop as well as the PPC.

Download and install: Auditor: http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Main_Page it is basically a boot from CD Linux with just the tools you need to 'probe' networks. use the PPC to find the Mac address, SSID and channel. Then fire up the laptop and start using all the tools to crack the WEP. The more data going over the network, the faster the apps will be able crack the WEP code. If enough data is flowing through the router, it is possbile to crack a 128 bit WEP in 10-20 minutes. If you have two laptops, you can get the other one to talk to the router (with spoofed MAC) to increase the data.

As already mentioned, all this depends if your card is supported by the apps, and can be put in silent mode (if you don't want to draw attention to yourself)

Of course, it is much easier just to walk 50 yards down the street and find an unsecured network for your free Skype calls.

cough.

:)

/Mad
20th May 2006, 08:40 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

78 posts
Thanks for the help. How would I find the chennel and MAC address with my universal?! I just want to get into my friends as a joke, and so finding another network wouldnt be much help!!

Thanks
20th May 2006, 11:38 PM   |  #5  
Bremen

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6680abhi

Thanks for the help. How would I find the chennel and MAC address with my universal?!

Thanks

Mine is german, so my translations may be wrong

From the start menue
-> Settings
-> connections
-> Wireless-LAN

There you'll find the information you are looking for.

Do you have some experience with Linux? It's a bit more complicated than Windows Mobile :)
21st May 2006, 01:05 AM   |  #6  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 1

131 posts
More
AFAIK for Wep cracking there are also a couple of programs for PocketPC existing which can do this within minutes.

but this depends strongly on the WLAN hardware.

Search in google for this.
21st May 2006, 12:53 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

78 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackICE

AFAIK for Wep cracking there are also a couple of programs for PocketPC existing which can do this within minutes.

but this depends strongly on the WLAN hardware.

Search in google for this.

Thanks for the help. I have serached on google, but am unable to find a wep cracking application for ppc. Could you perhaps give me a link to one?

Thanks
21st May 2006, 02:18 PM   |  #8  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 1

131 posts
More
look here:

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&...niffer&spell=1
21st May 2006, 03:21 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

78 posts
Thanks again, but could you please be more specific with an application, and post a link to the application, as I was unable to find anything by clicking on the google search you posted.

Thanks
21st May 2006, 10:28 PM   |  #10  
Bremen

9 posts

it is easyer to use a notebook, preferrably with two Prism2 based network cards, and boot WHAX from a CD.

Let that run for some time and it'll find the WEP key for you.

It took more than 30 hours to get the key for my neighbours WLAN :?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread