Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,384 Members 42,920 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Soft-bricked and Need Help - [d2att]

Tip us?

heruv1m
Old
(Last edited by heruv1m; 25th February 2014 at 06:56 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Soft-bricked and Need Help - [d2att]

Hey all,

After hours of intense Googling, I've finally reached my limit and decided to make a forum post. I don't know what kind of info you guys need to help me out so I'm including everything I know.

Before you guys say anything, I've looked at the sticky and went through the soft-bricked guide, but it says to just flash back to stock, which I already tried.

Here is the backstory:

I had Cyanogenmod 10.2 installed (using the default get.cm installing process) for about a month when a notification popped up prompting me to install a system update. I had it only set up to install stable updates (or so I thought), so I installed it and it ended up being stuck in a boot loop. Unfortunately, all of my data was encrypted and I couldn't figure out how to recover it, but I just thought screw it, formatted everything, and reinstalled Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 using Clockwork Recovery. I also ended up trying to install gapps using a zip using Clockwork Recovery as well, but it still wouldn't show up even though the install passed in Clockwork without any problems. Soo, I figured to try to install using get.cm again and during the reboot process during install, it froze (I left it running for an hour to no avail).

Now I'm stuck in this situation:

~ The phone is stuck on the waving blue alien and won't finish booting.

~ Cannot access Clockwork Recovery. Just goes back to the blue alien even though I see the blue debug text in the upper left on the Samsung screen when holding Power, Vol. Down, and Home that suggests it will open Clockwork Recovery.

~ I can still access the Download mode.

~ My computer can still see the phone in ODIN v3.07.

Here's the troubleshooting I've tried to do:

~ I made a TAR archive with the boot.img file from the CM10.2.1 zip and renamed the boot.img to zImage (no extension). Tried flashing it in the PDA input and I get this ODIN output:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> zImage
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Here is my phone's text in the top right:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (7 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: CUSTOM
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
WARRANTY Bit: 1
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 2
SW REV CHECK FAIL : Fused 2 > Binary 0
Unsupport dev_type

~ Tried the same thing above with stock rom too. Same errors and everything.

~ I've tried installing Clockwork Recovery again using heimdall and it looked like it installed fine, but I still can't access it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: I tried installing adb but it can't detect my device in download mode.

UPDATE 2: I found a small glimmer of hope that seems like it's a similar issue to what I'm having: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2427016
Problem is, is that it looks like my internal SD might be corrupted and I might have to resort to a hardware mod. I'd rather not take out my internal SD if I don't have to, so do any of you guys have any ideas or thoughts on fixing this?

heruv1m
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [SOLVED] Woo!

So I noticed after leaving my phone plugged in for a while that the bootloop started occurring on the other cyanogenmod loading screen with the arrow circling around the logo. Seeing something was different, I rebooted my phone and lo and behold, I managed to get into Clockwork Recovery! I installed the cyanogenmod zip I had from earlier and managed to boot it up fully! I got Google Apps on there and updated successfully to CM11.

I guess the thing to take from this is to make sure your phone is fully charged before troubleshooting.

dawgdoc
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Glad to see you solved it w/o having to replace the motherboard.

When I saw you renamed the bootloader to zImage I caught my breath. I think the kernel is zImage and the bootloader is boot.bin, or Sbl.bin for the secondary bootloader. (At least for flashing in Heimdall.)

SGS3 SGH-i747

TW 4.1.2, stock, rooted,
TiBu frozen

Samsung Captivate SGH-i897
Currently CyanogenMod 10.1.3
resurrected from softbrick using 4-2ndtwin's Heimdall OneClick to stock Gingerbread - 2.3.5 - kk4
ROM history Eclair > Froyo > Gingerbread > CM9

heruv1m
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdoc View Post
Glad to see you solved it w/o having to replace the motherboard.

When I saw you renamed the bootloader to zImage I caught my breath. I think the kernel is zImage and the bootloader is boot.bin, or Sbl.bin for the secondary bootloader. (At least for flashing in Heimdall.)
Thanks for the info For some reason it never occurred to me to flash CM using Heimdall, haha. Still kinda new to this stuff and good thing ODIN caught my mistake. I was blindly trying things on forums and renaming boot.img to zImage was one of the things I read, but looking at more forum answers, I'm now realizing that zImage is actually in the boot.img file in the CM zip.