80-character SMS limit and how to fix it
Hope this helps anyone who is running a stock ROM on this phone and is frustrated with the 80-character SMS limit.
You may have tried an app such as ICS Messaging (available from the Play Store), but found that it won't send any SMS, though it might show received SMS.
This phone's stock SMS app (mms.apk) sends each character in double-byte to accommodate Korean characters, so the 160-character SMS limit is halved.
I found that if you save your own phone number to the "My Number" area on your SIM card (which is not done by default on many newer SIM cards), this somehow allows third-party apps to work, and allows the sending of SMS up to 160 chars - and more, if your operator supports it.
1. First, find an ancient phone, one that can write to the "My Number" area. Get a really old "dumbphone" such as an old Series 40 Nokia. BlackBerries work very well (I used a Curve). Or you could try an iPhone. (I'm sensing a joke here...)
2. Put your SIM card in and power up the phone.
3. Now, you need to write your own number to the SIM card.
On the Curve I went to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card.
On the iPhone, it should be in Settings > Phone > My Number.
In the My Number area, enter your full phone number, including the country and area codes.
4. Exit and power off the phone. Put your SIM card back into the Vega Racer 2.
5. Go to the stock SMS app and try sending an SMS, preferably to a friend who is on a different network operator.
If it works, proceed to the next step.
6a: If you have root: Use Root Explorer to browse to /system/app and rename Mms.apk to something else, say, Mms.apkOriginalBackup.
Then install ICS Messaging from the Google Play Store.
Check that it works and that you can now send SMS longer than 80 characters. (N.B.: As I mentioned above, make sure your operator hasn't imposed any limits on SMS length.)
6b: If you don't have root (I didn't test this): You can't get rid of the stock messaging app, so just disable its notifications from within the app. Then install ICS Messaging from the Google Play Store. Check that it works.
If this solution helps anyone else please let us all know. (Also if any other messaging apps, such as Go SMS, work for you.)