Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Tutorial [Q] Cyanogenmod One-Click

OP Jamessuperfun

25th February 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Sorry if this is the wrong section, I figured ROMs would be better but I can't post there, I was told to post here.

I'm new to all this ROM stuff, but I *REALLY* like the look of some of them. I'm good with technology, but when it comes down to (what seems like) a million terms and such to learn and install (what seems like) a hundred things to get it in here, I get confused.

For this reason, Cyanogenmod's One-Click installer appeals to me. I'd love to use Cyanogenmod when it's stable on my Moto G, but I can't wrap my head around some of this stuff, and I'm terrified something will go wrong. I couldn't seem to find an answer though, will the One-Click Installer support the Moto G when it's stable? Do all devices (assuming they officially support Cyanogenmod)?

Thanks
25th February 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42
 
206 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
I've never done it on moto g yet but have on other phones and on tables and trust me it's very easy to install the old way.
You can't really go wrong, once you are rooted and backed up. And there is good tools for that on here.
25th February 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Prompt
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemgee

I've never done it on moto g yet but have on other phones and on tables and trust me it's very easy to install the old way.
You can't really go wrong, once you are rooted and backed up. And there is good tools for that on here.

Still read about the risks of bricking the device, would rather not go down that route. I'm just not confident enough.
Plus rooting requires doing a fair bit just on the moto G when I last Googled it, otherwise I would have. On my Huawei Ascend G510 (last phone) it was literally 'Plug in USB cable, run program, click 'Root', '
26th February 2014, 09:27 AM   |  #4  
mokkami's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pune (IN), Düsseldorf (DE)
Thanks Meter: 106
 
440 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
More
In my opinion it is the better way to get first confident with those things.
A one click installer is nice, sure.

But i think it is always better to understand what is really happening behind a one click installer by learning doing the unlocking, rooting and flashing steps manually. If something goes wrong, then you have learned what to do in case of a bad flash or if you wanna go back to stock.

Sure many devices got easy installers which made life much more simple. But the more the tools made it simplier the more helpless the people got when something went wrong.

Sure you can brick your device in one or the other way. And i had also a few hours in the last years when the sweat was on my forehead. But i could always come out of these situations. My expereience says, correct me somebody if i am wrong, that only by flashing roms you will hardly brick your device.

I think many people do just something, whitout reading really about that what they are doing. They first do something and then they start reading. Often also steps are described in the OP and people are still asking the same questions. That shows, that there are people but they do not really read carefully what is writte in a guide/tutorial/howto. It is not really neccessary to go too deep into theory for flashing devices. But the basic steps, are e.g. how fastboot or adb works. What a recovery is, how it can be used and so on...

If i am not wrong then this was also a reason why the CyanogenMod installer was removed vom Google Play Store.
If you don't know how to help yourself, then this is only a one way direction. And here we have 5 millions users at XDA. I guess other 100 of millions do not even now about XDA or similar sites where they can find help.

Just my 5 cents......
Last edited by mokkami; 26th February 2014 at 09:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mokkami For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2014, 11:06 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokkami

In my opinion it is the better way to get first confident with those things.
A one click installer is nice, sure.

But i think it is always better to understand what is really happening behind a one click installer by learning doing the unlocking, rooting and flashing steps manually. If something goes wrong, then you have learned what to do in case of a bad flash or if you wanna go back to stock.

Sure many devices got easy installers which made life much more simple. But the more the tools made it simplier the more helpless the people got when something went wrong.

Sure you can brick your device in one or the other way. And i had also a few hours in the last years when the sweat was on my forehead. But i could always come out of these situations. My expereience says, correct me somebody if i am wrong, that only by flashing roms you will hardly brick your device.

I think many people do just something, whitout reading really about that what they are doing. They first do something and then they start reading. Often also steps are described in the OP and people are still asking the same questions. That shows, that there are people but they do not really read carefully what is writte in a guide/tutorial/howto. It is not really neccessary to go too deep into theory for flashing devices. But the basic steps, are e.g. how fastboot or adb works. What a recovery is, how it can be used and so on...

If i am not wrong then this was also a reason why the CyanogenMod installer was removed vom Google Play Store.
If you don't know how to help yourself, then this is only a one way direction. And here we have 5 millions users at XDA. I guess other 100 of millions do not even now about XDA or similar sites where they can find help.

Just my 5 cents......

From knowing computers, I agree to some extent. I do want to learn this, but it feels like a load to learn at once, and I would say the same thing had someone said the same thing about computers. (Well no, I wouldn't, because by installing an OS it's pretty difficult to 'brick' a computer- but it's good to understand anyway.)
I have learned a fair amount about the ROMs, but when you start talking about unlocking the bootloader, flashing recovery and the works then dangle a one click installer under my nose... You see my point?
The one-click seems better.
26th February 2014, 11:21 AM   |  #6  
mokkami's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pune (IN), Düsseldorf (DE)
Thanks Meter: 106
 
440 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamessuperfun

Well no, I wouldn't, because by installing an OS it's pretty difficult to 'brick' a computer- but it's good to understand anyway.

I think this is exactly the point. Installing an operating system is much easier than flashing a rom. Actually the only thing what can happen on a pc is that you install the os on the wrong partition and you could loose your data or you delete the wrong partition. Okay you have to know how t bring your pc to the point to start from a CD or usb stick. As you said, you can not brick your pc in that way. But that is the point i think.

As i said before. In my knowledge the Cyanogenmod installer is a one way direction. Once the normal user want to go back he is in trouble. And that is the thing what the most users will not understand. But when the trouble is there then.... then, then they understand .... they are f**ked if they do not know to find help.

Yeah, but two different persons, two different point of views.
I accept yours. But i don't share the same opinion. At least not yet.
Maybe when the day comes and all that flashing stuff is made for the public. (What i doubt.)
26th February 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
94 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
OK I found compatibility list and moto g isn't on it http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/CyanogenMod_Installer

Moto G


Wysłane z mojego GT-I8160 przy użyciu Tapatalka
26th February 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokkami

I think this is exactly the point. Installing an operating system is much easier than flashing a rom. Actually the only thing what can happen on a pc is that you install the os on the wrong partition and you could loose your data or you delete the wrong partition. Okay you have to know how t bring your pc to the point to start from a CD or usb stick. As you said, you can not brick your pc in that way. But that is the point i think.

As i said before. In my knowledge the Cyanogenmod installer is a one way direction. Once the normal user want to go back he is in trouble. And that is the thing what the most users will not understand. But when the trouble is there then.... then, then they understand .... they are f**ked if they do not know to find help.

Yeah, but two different persons, two different point of views.
I accept yours. But i don't share the same opinion. At least not yet.
Maybe when the day comes and all that flashing stuff is made for the public. (What i doubt.)

I don't mean to sound, I don't know, like I'm taking the community for granted, but I know of XDA and some other websites, so wouldn't I (highly likely) find help if I had a problem? (I'm a little worried how that'll come across, I mean it as a praise for places like this)
I think however the one-click installer is to target the average person.


I did see the list of supported devices, but the Moto G is still in nightly builds, so I figured it would come in stable (if it does), which I mentioned in my first post- do most (or all) supported devices get support for the installer?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes