Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,820 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do i find out if the phone is rooted or not?

Tip us?

kaboose786
Old
(Last edited by kaboose786; 18th February 2014 at 08:01 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How do i find out if the phone is rooted or not?

Hey everyone i have a telus samsung s3 and it wouldnt accept the unlock code so the guy who i bought the unlock code from said my phone might be rooted and i need to unroot it?
Heres the information from about device:

I also installed this app called "Root Checker" which shows if the device is rooted or not and heres the result:

According to this website: http://www.mobile-spy.com/blog/is-my-phone-rooted/. I downloaded an app called "Terminal" and followed the instructions:
Quote:
Another simple way to find out is to download and install a “terminal” client on the phone. A “terminal” is a text-based window that allows us to run commands on Linux devices such as an Android phone or tablet. It is the command line interface for Linux, similar to DOS.

Upon opening the terminal, if you see a “#”, then the phone has root access and is in superuser mode.

If when opening the terminal you see a “$” then the phone is not in superuser mode, but that doesn’t mean that it has not been rooted.

Type “date” and press enter. It should display the date and time. If the date does not display, then the terminal doesn’t work, try downloading another terminal client.

Otherwise, type “su” without the quotes. If the device has been rooted, the next line will display a “#” signifying that you have root access and the device is ready for superuser commands. If it has not been rooted, then the terminal will not recognize the “su” command.
- See more at: http://www.mobile-spy.com/blog/is-my....kulPOwDL.dpuf
Here are the results:

As you can see it verifies that the phone isnt rooted so please tell me if there is some other way to verify or just those apps?

SuperMidgetProductions
Old
Thanks Meter 10
try another root checking app?

install an app that requires root and see if it works/asks for super user permission?

x0ne215
Old
Thanks Meter 168

DONATE TO ME
Never had a problem using root checker or the su command. Your phone is not rooted (unless someone tried to and then half-assed it maybe).
Samsung Galaxy S III: Quantum 1.20 [4.3] DKP Kernel
Nexus 7: Paranoid Andoird 3.99 [4.3]
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate: Slim Build 5 [4.2.2][Media Center]
[Guide]How to root 2.3.5 & Flash a Custom Rom w/o USB

kaboose786
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ne215 View Post
Never had a problem using root checker or the su command. Your phone is not rooted (unless someone tried to and then half-assed it maybe).

if i factory reset the phone would it unroot the phone if it was rooted?

x0ne215
Old
Thanks Meter 168

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboose786 View Post
if i factory reset the phone would it unroot the phone if it was rooted?
No, but your best bet to get the phone completely back to stock is to use Odin. Search "Odin back to stock". Pretty easy to do just need a computer and about 5 minutes.
Samsung Galaxy S III: Quantum 1.20 [4.3] DKP Kernel
Nexus 7: Paranoid Andoird 3.99 [4.3]
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate: Slim Build 5 [4.2.2][Media Center]
[Guide]How to root 2.3.5 & Flash a Custom Rom w/o USB

kaboose786
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ne215 View Post
No, but your best bet to get the phone completely back to stock is to use Odin. Search "Odin back to stock". Pretty easy to do just need a computer and about 5 minutes.
how do i knw what was stock? right now its running android 4.3. I dont wanna brick my phone

kaboose786
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hey guys i am trying to use odin to flash to Android 4.1.1 but for some reason it keeps on failing in odin. And now i am stuck in "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". How do i know if i have the correct stock file? I downloaded 4.1.1 from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1...e=TLS#firmware.. why is it keep on failing? i have kies off should i just uninstall kies? i am really worried

xSharpi
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
how do i knw what was stock? right now its running android 4.3. I dont wanna brick my phone
Did you download the correct firmware for your device? ex.SGH-I717

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Gonemad
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Hey guys i am trying to use odin to flash to Android 4.1.1 but for some reason it keeps on failing in odin. And now i am stuck in "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". How do i know if i have the correct stock file? I downloaded 4.1.1 from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1...e=TLS#firmware.. why is it keep on failing? i have kies off should i just uninstall kies? i am really worried
That should be the right rom. Have you gone into recovery, wipe the phone and retry flash the stock rom? A reformat? i was having lots of trouble with mine but seen this today and tried method 2 with the exception of gapps to get it back to stock.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2661345

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 345
Quote:
You running a 4.3 bootloader? Is your phone an i747 or i747m?