Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How do i find out if the phone is rooted or not?

OP kaboose786

18th February 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

26 posts
Hey everyone i have a telus samsung s3 and it wouldnt accept the unlock code so the guy who i bought the unlock code from said my phone might be rooted and i need to unroot it?
Heres the information from about device:

I also installed this app called "Root Checker" which shows if the device is rooted or not and heres the result:

According to this website: http://www.mobile-spy.com/blog/is-my-phone-rooted/. I downloaded an app called "Terminal" and followed the instructions:
Quote:

Another simple way to find out is to download and install a “terminal” client on the phone. A “terminal” is a text-based window that allows us to run commands on Linux devices such as an Android phone or tablet. It is the command line interface for Linux, similar to DOS.

Upon opening the terminal, if you see a “#”, then the phone has root access and is in superuser mode.

If when opening the terminal you see a “$” then the phone is not in superuser mode, but that doesn’t mean that it has not been rooted.

Type “date” and press enter. It should display the date and time. If the date does not display, then the terminal doesn’t work, try downloading another terminal client.

Otherwise, type “su” without the quotes. If the device has been rooted, the next line will display a “#” signifying that you have root access and the device is ready for superuser commands. If it has not been rooted, then the terminal will not recognize the “su” command.
- See more at: http://www.mobile-spy.com/blog/is-my....kulPOwDL.dpuf

Here are the results:

As you can see it verifies that the phone isnt rooted so please tell me if there is some other way to verify or just those apps?
Last edited by kaboose786; 18th February 2014 at 09:01 PM.
18th February 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 21

92 posts
try another root checking app?

install an app that requires root and see if it works/asks for super user permission?
18th February 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #3  
Philly
Thanks Meter: 169

447 posts
More
Never had a problem using root checker or the su command. Your phone is not rooted (unless someone tried to and then half-assed it maybe).
19th February 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ne215

Never had a problem using root checker or the su command. Your phone is not rooted (unless someone tried to and then half-assed it maybe).

if i factory reset the phone would it unroot the phone if it was rooted?
19th February 2014, 04:24 AM   |  #5  
Philly
Thanks Meter: 169

447 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboose786

if i factory reset the phone would it unroot the phone if it was rooted?

No, but your best bet to get the phone completely back to stock is to use Odin. Search "Odin back to stock". Pretty easy to do just need a computer and about 5 minutes.
19th February 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ne215

No, but your best bet to get the phone completely back to stock is to use Odin. Search "Odin back to stock". Pretty easy to do just need a computer and about 5 minutes.

how do i knw what was stock? right now its running android 4.3. I dont wanna brick my phone
19th February 2014, 10:13 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Hey guys i am trying to use odin to flash to Android 4.1.1 but for some reason it keeps on failing in odin. And now i am stuck in "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". How do i know if i have the correct stock file? I downloaded 4.1.1 from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1...e=TLS#firmware.. why is it keep on failing? i have kies off should i just uninstall kies? i am really worried
28th February 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #8  
San Diego
Thanks Meter: 9

109 posts
Quote:

how do i knw what was stock? right now its running android 4.3. I dont wanna brick my phone

Did you download the correct firmware for your device? ex.SGH-I717

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
1st March 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #9  
Flag Prince Edward Island
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
More
Quote:

Hey guys i am trying to use odin to flash to Android 4.1.1 but for some reason it keeps on failing in odin. And now i am stuck in "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". How do i know if i have the correct stock file? I downloaded 4.1.1 from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1...e=TLS#firmware.. why is it keep on failing? i have kies off should i just uninstall kies? i am really worried

That should be the right rom. Have you gone into recovery, wipe the phone and retry flash the stock rom? A reformat? i was having lots of trouble with mine but seen this today and tried method 2 with the exception of gapps to get it back to stock.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2661345
1st March 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #10  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,010

3,158 posts
More
Quote:

You running a 4.3 bootloader? Is your phone an i747 or i747m?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread