FORUMS

Windows 8.1 on GT-P5210... Some thinking out loud.

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By mobile_mogul, Member on 30th January 2014, 05:15 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Greetings!
Our tablet (GT-P5210) is extremely close to the makings of an ativ tab 3. I'm researching anything I can that surrounds Intel based tablets (more specifically the clover-trail/clover-trail+ platforms) and how roms are flashed to them. I've found that in order to flash any Samsung windows based device, you must plug in a keyboard. Has anyone tried holding the windows key down at boot using a regular keyboard using the otg cable and a properly formatted SD card or USB stick with Windows 8.1 32-bit, all to see if anything happens at all on our tabs? I seriously doubt anything will come of it as the boot loader is for android, but you never know...

Also, I found this on the Microsoft website:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...=Windows%208.1
Interesting to say the least...

How can we go about adding an option into CWM or TWRP to boot from sd card? That may be all we need...

Edit:
I'm willing to throw a couple litecoins into a pool to get this going. I don't think a bounty could hurt....
Last edited by mobile_mogul; 30th January 2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Bounty Added
The Following User Says Thank You to mobile_mogul For This Useful Post: [ View ]

31st January 2014, 09:41 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
Update:
I'm researching how to chainload something on our devices...
I'm thinking if I can get a multirom cooked up with the second rom being a simple chainloader to another bootloader, we may have something. Someone please provide input as i'm blindly going about this...
1st February 2014, 03:15 AM |#3  
Flag Fort Mcmurray
Thanks Meter: 951

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile_mogul

Update:
I'm researching how to chainload something on our devices...
I'm thinking if I can get a multirom cooked up with the second rom being a simple chainloader to another bootloader, we may have something. Someone please provide input as i'm blindly going about this...

I'd love to help you with this any way I can, PM me?
1st February 2014, 05:26 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restl3ss

I'd love to help you with this any way I can, PM me?

We need to get this ported in...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2011403
After that, we should be able to boot some sort of a linux distro... Which is a step in the right direction.
1st February 2014, 05:39 AM |#5  
Flag Fort Mcmurray
Thanks Meter: 951

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

After that, we should be able to boot some sort of a linux distro... Which is a step in the right direction.

Way easier said than done. Forgetting for a second that it's a completely different bootloader, much of the intel-specific things are not available in the source tree. Not impossible, but it's a fairly large project.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Quote:

That being said, I'm still willing to go the mile.
1st February 2014, 05:50 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
I don't think it's a full bootloader...
I believe the mod is of 3 parts:
1.) A mod to TWRP (Adds the multiboot option to advanced)
2.) Kernel Edit (kexec-hardboot patch)
3.) The multirom.zip mod files.
2nd February 2014, 07:32 PM |#7  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 72

More
I've been wanting to do the same thing since the Tab 3 came out :P I also came to the same conclusions as you but I didn't know about the multiboot tool
I'm sure we can do SOMETHING if some people smarter than us work on it :P I think Linux will be easy and even Windows can be made to work on the tab 3
Only time will tell though
Good luch
9th February 2014, 10:31 AM |#8  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 72

More
@mobile_mogul I'll try the keyboard thing and report back. AFAIK i don't think it's going to work as Samsng uses their own custom bootloader.
But who knows
16th March 2014, 08:56 AM |#10  

More
Wow, talk about trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. Even if it was possible and I highly doubt it, the experience would be dreadful at best. With only 1GB RAM, 16GB of slow SSD space, a CPU that has half of the CPU score that a current Quadcore Atom tablet has, I shudder the thought.You are much better in trying to get Android working on a Dell Venue Pro 8, which is a fantastic tablet by the way, than the other way around. It would also benefit a much larger community, where as this maybe a handful would want.
Last edited by calden74; 16th March 2014 at 09:01 AM.
16th March 2014, 12:50 PM |#11  
Flag Gallifrey
Thanks Meter: 536

More
What do you have against Tab 3 10.1 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by calden74

Wow, talk about trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. Even if it was possible and I highly doubt it, the experience would be dreadful at best. With only 1GB RAM, 16GB of slow SSD space, a CPU that has half of the CPU score that a current Quadcore Atom tablet has, I shudder the thought.You are much better in trying to get Android working on a Dell Venue Pro 8, which is a fantastic tablet by the way, than the other way around. It would also benefit a much larger community, where as this maybe a handful would want.

I wonder what's wrong with you !!! Because we were on another discussion about Tab 3 8.0 vs Tab 3 10.1 earler
Windows is running on a friend computer which have Intel Genuine T2050 CPU and 1gb of RAM !!!
It's just running fine !
Genuine CPU should NOT such faster than Atom Z2560. And Atom Z2560 does support Intel VT-X and HyperThreading Technology.
Go here and read comments.
Windows 8 requires almost the same thing as Windows 7.
Windows 8/7 canNOT run on an ARM arch anyhow !!! While it's possible for Tab 3 if you've the necessary knowledge.
Don't Compare an x86 CPU to a QuadCore Armel cpu
All QuadCores won't pass x86 CPUs, True Octa Cores and CPUs with Krait instead of Cortex should perform better.
Even if you have 2X True Octa Cores CPU (16 Cores) you canNOT install anyhow Windows 8 on it unless you've an ISO for ARM CPUs.
If you don't like Tab 3, you should simply headout the forum
(Kidding )

Sent from Gallifrey using TARDIS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows with 1Gb.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2633441  
The Following User Says Thank You to Nonta72 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread