Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,969 Members 37,977 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 Head Unit Replacement?

Tip us?
 
Necrodox
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Nexus 7 Head Unit Replacement?

With my everlasting frustrating to find a car head unit that supports Android play back, I've considered turning my Nexus 7 into a dedicated head unit. My question is in regards to what I will need to enable digital audio playback (USB audio) to my speakers and subwoofers.

I'm assuming I'll need a DAC but where do I go from the DAC?

Ideally I would like the Nexus to plug into the back of a head unit but it seems there are NO head units that support audio play back via USB with any app (Such as Spotify, AOL Radio and the stock file system).

Is there a ROM that would enable audio play back that is more recognizable via USB or is the problem still with MTP? This post is a little scatter brained so sorry for that, still trying to figure out if I want to go with the Nexus as a dedicated head unit or pair it with a head unit for simplicity.

I need the system to power a set of component speakers, a pair of three ways, and a subwoofer.
 
brooksyx
Old
#2  
brooksyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 470
Posts: 1,877
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodox View Post
Ideally I would like the Nexus to plug into the back of a head unit but it seems there are NO head units that support audio play back via USB with any app (Such as Spotify, AOL Radio and the stock file system).
My Pioneer DEH-X4600BT Head unit has no problem playin sound from apps over bluetooth or plugged into the usb port.
Boost & Virgin Mobile Epic 4g Touch CM9 MMS Fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post28439426
Virgin Mobile Epic 4g CM7 & CM9 MMS Fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post22403917
Coug Companion App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aC55a3lhY3ciXQ..
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Necrodox
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post
My Pioneer DEH-X4600BT Head unit has no problem playin sound from apps over bluetooth or plugged into the usb port.
Which phone do you have and how is your head unit configured? I purchased the Pioneer DEH-X7600HD purely for Android compatibility, but when I tried it last night nothing would be detected with my Galaxy S4.

Looking forward to the reply because I am at my wit's end with this ordeal.
 
brooksyx
Old
#4  
brooksyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 470
Posts: 1,877
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodox View Post
Which phone do you have and how is your head unit configured? I purchased the Pioneer DEH-X7600HD purely for Android compatibility, but when I tried it last night nothing would be detected with my Galaxy S4.

Looking forward to the reply because I am at my wit's end with this ordeal.
I have it set up with my Nexus 5 CM11, before that I had my Galaxy Nexus with CM10. Your unit looks a little more advanced than mine. I have had it about a year and just purchased the cheapest pioneer head unit that bluetooth audio and calling built in. I just stream bluetooth to it. Everyonce in a while it won't auto connect after I stop for quick gas or something but its rare.
Boost & Virgin Mobile Epic 4g Touch CM9 MMS Fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post28439426
Virgin Mobile Epic 4g CM7 & CM9 MMS Fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post22403917
Coug Companion App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aC55a3lhY3ciXQ..
 
Necrodox
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post
My Pioneer DEH-X4600BT Head unit has no problem playin sound from apps over bluetooth or plugged into the usb port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post
I have it set up with my Nexus 5 CM11, before that I had my Galaxy Nexus with CM10. Your unit looks a little more advanced than mine. I have had it about a year and just purchased the cheapest pioneer head unit that bluetooth audio and calling built in. I just stream bluetooth to it. Everyonce in a while it won't auto connect after I stop for quick gas or something but its rare.
What about USB mode? Can you only get it to work with Bluetooth or USB as well?
 
draztikrhymez
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 561
Join Date: Jun 2010
I always wanted to do the same but ended up always just playing through bluetooth. Now i have a new deck with a touch screen that actually has bluetooth but also built in mircast & DLNA so it will mirror devices on it's screen.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more

aLogcat Returns Thanks to XDA Love

The developers of Android, that is Google, gave users several great debugging tools that can be used in … more

And the Winners in the XDA Pebble Development Challenge Are…

Almost two months ago, we set out with Pebble to findthree amazing … more

MediaTek Releases Full Kernel Source for First Android One Devices

Those who might have thought that MediaTek wouldnever release working … more