[Q] Updating for Dummies (Xoom 4G/LTE)

23rd February 2014, 07:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi smart people,

Can anyone point me to a thread written in laymen terms, UPDATING FOR DUMMIES with step by step instructions?

I bought an un-rooted Xoom 4G/LTE in great condition off ebay. It has ICS 4.0 and I was told by the seller that it doesn't receive OTA updates, and that I could manually install them. Thinking, hey I am a techy girl, no problem!

Every 10 minutes it is prompting me to do a 4.1.2 update, but it won't work. I'm stuck and wan't updates, AT LEAST Jelly Bean, but of course KitKat would be amazing (however that may be way beyond my abilities). I have spent the past couple weeks on the Android forums, trying to teach myself where to begin. All this rooting/un-rooting, kernel talk has my head spinning and I am a little scared of permanently destroying my tablet.

In case it matters, here is what I know about my tablet:
mz600
Kernal 2.6.39.4-g42a0480
android-build@vpbs1 #1
Build number IMM76l

I am out of contract, but it is connected to Verizon 4G/Lte network

Thank you for your help,
April
24th February 2014, 04:59 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 66

150 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evausa

Hi smart people,

Can anyone point me to a thread written in laymen terms, UPDATING FOR DUMMIES with step by step instructions?

I bought an un-rooted Xoom 4G/LTE in great condition off ebay. It has ICS 4.0 and I was told by the seller that it doesn't receive OTA updates, and that I could manually install them. Thinking, hey I am a techy girl, no problem!

Every 10 minutes it is prompting me to do a 4.1.2 update, but it won't work. I'm stuck and wan't updates, AT LEAST Jelly Bean, but of course KitKat would be amazing (however that may be way beyond my abilities). I have spent the past couple weeks on the Android forums, trying to teach myself where to begin. All this rooting/un-rooting, kernel talk has my head spinning and I am a little scared of permanently destroying my tablet.

In case it matters, here is what I know about my tablet:
mz600
Kernal 2.6.39.4-g42a0480
android-build@vpbs1 #1
Build number IMM76l

I am out of contract, but it is connected to Verizon 4G/Lte network

Thank you for your help,
April

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2635282

Because you haven't been able to take the JB update, you won't have to start at the beginning. But some things you should know - the Jelly Bean update that you've been unable to install will be the last official update that your tablet is going to receive, so if you want KitKat, you're going to have to install a custom ROM.

If you just want the stock Jelly Bean update, just complete Phase 2 and let your tablet go through the OTA updates until you're on 4.1.2. But, be warned, if you later change your mind and want KitKat, you'll have to go through the entire process.

As a final word of advice, read the prerequisites, make sure you've got a decent understanding of ADB, and if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread