Try new firmware on S4 without rooting possible?

26th February 2014, 03:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

32 posts
Hi All,

Am using an i337M S4 from Rogers here in Canada and was wondering if it was possible to use ODIN and try out the new leaked 4.4 firmware. Is rooting required to achieve this?
26th February 2014, 03:23 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 191

1,152 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsarwar

Hi All,

Am using an i337M S4 from Rogers here in Canada and was wondering if it was possible to use ODIN and try out the new leaked 4.4 firmware. Is rooting required to achieve this?

First you must be certain the leak is for i337m model becuase there is the international version and the US version which are both different from the model you have (I have the same but Telus). Now as far as the files, if they are in .tar format then you can flash via Odin, if thet are .zip then you need a custom recovery to flash them. I know for certain you need to root to go the custom recovery route, I think you need to be rooted to flash they system files in Odin also (which if it is a stock rom you are flashing would loose root following the flash). Depending of the root method you choose be aware also that you may trip the Knox counter also, definately if you install a custom recovery. There a number of 4.4 roms for the i337m already that are not stock and are rooted, you may want to look at these also. Most importantly... before you attempt anything read...read ... read... there are pity falls you can end up in if you don't pay close attention......
26th February 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage_Hero

First you must be certain the leak is for i337m model becuase there is the international version and the US version which are both different from the model you have (I have the same but Telus). Now as far as the files, if they are in .tar format then you can flash via Odin, if thet are .zip then you need a custom recovery to flash them. I know for certain you need to root to go the custom recovery route, I think you need to be rooted to flash they system files in Odin also (which if it is a stock rom you are flashing would loose root following the flash). Depending of the root method you choose be aware also that you may trip the Knox counter also, definately if you install a custom recovery. There a number of 4.4 roms for the i337m already that are not stock and are rooted, you may want to look at these also. Most importantly... before you attempt anything read...read ... read... there are pity falls you can end up in if you don't pay close attention......

Thanks for the reply .. actually I had a S2 before which was rooted and I used many different ROMs on it. I did root the S4 once as well but then lost it when I did the 4.3 update. Since then I never tried to re-root, is there an easy way too root right now for the i337M with 4.3?
26th February 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 365

778 posts
If you are on stock unrooted 4.3 you should get official 4.4 update soon.

Also, questions go in the qna section not the development section

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to RK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 191

1,152 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK

If you are on stock unrooted 4.3 you should get official 4.4 update soon.

Also, questions go in the qna section not the development section

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you wait for the update you will likely be waiting longer for a root solution... if you want to root the phone, look up chainfire's CF-auto root for i337m
The Following User Says Thank You to Gage_Hero For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread