Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 51,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: DEAD?
Yes, it's on eBay already. 1 9.09%
No, divine intervention will save us all! 10 90.91%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

The Mini is dead, long live the Mini....

Tip us?
 
nelvinchi
Old
#1  
nelvinchi's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 221
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Angry The Mini is dead, long live the Mini....

The Mini is dead, long live the Mini....

Let's face it. The mini is dead in the water, literally months after launch, there is nothing happening. Full respect is due to the MagioRom team, and tr1gg3r84 in particular for all the great work producing a great rom. But without support from the HTCDEV (ha) team, no RUU, no updates for unlocked phones, no focus.
It really had the potential to be a great phone, but HTC sunk the ship before it sailed. 16GB (10 you can use) and 1GB RAM. I formatted it fully yesterday, 2 nandroid backups, 1 GB of music, 1.8 GB of video and Titanium Backups = 2GB free. Pathetic.


AND we won't be getting anything other than the launch JB 4.2.2 build 1.22 on an unlocked phone, as formally stated by HTC. Yes, we will help you unlock, but then you're f#@ked. Just buy a ONE.

Not only have HTC ignored and abandoned the mini, so have the dev community on xda (we had some promising interest at first by some good senior devs, but interest has been lost) and cm - I've stayed tuned as asked to do so by Cyanogen:

September 06, 2013
HTC One Mini

Adding to our ever growing device list, Negri Electronics stepped up to help out yet again, this time sending us the One Mini. Stay tuned for ‘codename: m4′ builds to be released. The Negri team has been great to work with and we appreciate their support of CM and the community.


Errrrrr......hellooooooo? Am i tuned to the wrong station?

I don't want a sense/bloated rom. I mean, come on, 1GB zips? I don't have room on my bloody phone to hold the zip AND a backup prior to flashing.

I'm going back to Samsung - s#it build quality, but at least you can mod the thing.

It breaks my heart, but I've had enough of getting excited when I get a xda notification on a dev thread thinking it might, just might, be something new. But, just like Santa, you learn that he's not coming.

Believe me, this IS NOT a rant directed at xda, the devs, and the fantastic work they do, I'm ranting out of frustration - HTC, you nearly had a convert.
See ya.
N.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelvinchi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
leungalv
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 144
Join Date: Sep 2010
I kind of agree with this ... this phone does have potential, but with no community to back it up it just kind of flops. I got mine yesterday and I can't even root it for god sakes.

I might use it for a bit till the Sony Xperia Z1f comes out ... HTC really dropped the ball on this one ...
The Following User Says Thank You to leungalv For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RuffBuster
Old
(Last edited by RuffBuster; 25th October 2013 at 12:41 AM.)
#3  
RuffBuster's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 493
Join Date: Feb 2012
I say give it time. Good things come to those that wait. I just got my HTC One Mini yesterday and out the box it's a really great phone, but yeah I'm a flash-a-holic and coming from the Galaxy S1 with its HUGE dev section here on XDA, it makes me long for something to flash to my new phone..

Least we still have root available to us. And for me storage isn't a big problem with having an unlimited internet contract, cloud storage, and USB OTG which can be used to backup your nandroids or anything else apart from apps. This is still a new phone and I'd like to think its still to early to call it, maybe I'm wrong, I hope not..

I find most development leans towards flag ship models as more people have them, but I dislike these giants, so do others, and others may soon join the mini following giving a bigger fan base for developers to take notice of..
Samsung Galaxy S iNand
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014
 
leungalv
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 144
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffBuster View Post
I say give it time. Good things come to those that wait. I just got my HTC One Mini yesterday and out the box it's a really great phone, but yeah I'm a flash-a-holic and coming from the Galaxy S1 with its HUGE dev section here on XDA, it makes me long for something to flash to my new phone..

Least we still have root available to us. And for me storage isn't a big problem with having an unlimited internet contract, cloud storage, and USB OTG which can be used to backup your nandroids or anything else apart from apps. This is still a new phone and I'd like to think its still to early to call it, maybe I'm wrong, I hope not..

I find most development leans towards flag ship models as more people have them, but I dislike these giants, so do others, and others may soon join the mini following giving a bigger fan base for developers to take notice of..
No ... I can't root my HTC One Mini 601s version
 
RuffBuster
Old
#5  
RuffBuster's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 493
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leungalv View Post
No ... I can't root my HTC One Mini 601s version
Hmmm I have noticed some people having problems here. Were you able to unlock bootloader? And what methods did you try? I have the 601n version with latest UK ota update, I haven't tried yet as I'm still burning my phone in. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S iNand
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014
 
leungalv
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 144
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffBuster View Post
Hmmm I have noticed some people having problems here. Were you able to unlock bootloader? And what methods did you try? I have the 601n version with latest UK ota update, I haven't tried yet as I'm still burning my phone in. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda premium
No I haven't tried unlocking bootloader ... I tried installing TWRP Recovery to no avail. I tried using OneClickRoot for the rooting. What should I use to unlock the bootloader? Thanks.
 
ghtop
Old
(Last edited by ghtop; 25th October 2013 at 04:40 AM.)
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 86
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelvinchi View Post
AND we won't be getting anything other than the launch JB 4.2.2 build 1.22 on an unlocked phone, as formally stated by HTC.
Why do you say that? We've already had an OTA update since launch (on 1.32.401.2 with UK unlocked here) and all the announcements so far have indicated that 4.3 is coming for the mini after the One. Did I miss another fornal announcement to the contrary?

Edit: sorry, I misundertood you, I guess you're referring to unlocked bootloader.
 
RuffBuster
Old
#8  
RuffBuster's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 493
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leungalv View Post
No I haven't tried unlocking bootloader ... I tried installing TWRP Recovery to no avail. I tried using OneClickRoot for the rooting. What should I use to unlock the bootloader? Thanks.
You do it at htcdev.com and select other in handset, but I haven't tried out yet..

Pretty sure you need this for TWRP recovery.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S iNand
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014
 
leungalv
Old
(Last edited by leungalv; 25th October 2013 at 06:16 AM.)
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 144
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffBuster View Post
You do it at htcdev.com and select other in handset, but I haven't tried out yet..

Pretty sure you need this for TWRP recovery.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda premium
Awesome ... that worked after unlocking the bootloader, I installed TWRP Recovery successfully. Thanks!

EDIT: rooted the phone through TWRP recovery.

So I had to do this: unlock bootloader via HTCDev as you advised -> install TWRP via fastboot -> root via TWRP yay
 
tr1gg3r84
Old
#10  
tr1gg3r84's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1641
Posts: 1,986
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lancashire

 
DONATE TO ME
Yeah I do agree with the lack if updates/ruu that are available for people. But I have a update coming for 4.2.2 and it's pretty smooth fast and great battery life. Plus alot of features. Also I'm working with a kernel dev who might be able to help me bring a 4.3 sense 5.5 to mini ported from the M7. Maybe in time Cm roms but that's till a source is available. But for now gotta make do with what's available if not try and make something.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tr1gg3r84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes