XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.3 Low Battery Reboot Cycle

Tip us?

KalST
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 4.3 Low Battery Reboot Cycle

Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem after the latest 4.3 update. My phone battery went to 7% and then suddenly to 0%, upon which it turned off. Now whenever I try to turn it on the red light flashes and whenever I try to turn it on whilst charging (because I don't think it charges if I just leave it plugged in), it just enters a reboot cycle, whereby it goes to the lock screen, shows the "Shutting Down" window and reboots. I have no clue how to fix this.

I don't really care about the phone at this point, but I do have some photos I want to keep from there...

Any ideas? The software hasn't been pampered with.

wallnusskaese
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default same here

hey, feeling with you.

I recently updated my Xperia T to 4.3.

While in 4.1.2 the "low battery" behavior was quite weird, as my T did not charge (no red LED), I was able to get it back to life by pressing and holding the power button for quite some time, lets say 5 min. or so, as it was loading then. This was independent from whether it was exhausted (blinking red LED) or "simply of"(not blinking but not charging anyways).

Through this whole power pressing procedure (I just wrapped the cord around the phone several times) the LED was red and the phone was charging, but it did not turn on. After the 5 min. I freed the T an hit the power button again. Now it was booting as expected and did not immediately go off again.

On 4.3 unfortunately this does not work anymore . The phone just tries to boot and enters the reboot cycle as you described (with the difference that it does shut down instead of reboot).

Now first I would like to know, if your T behaved like mine under 4.1.2 (guessing that was your last Version too). From what I've read I assume that wasn't really normal behavior. I think there must be something wrong with the hw, as my 4.1.2 was neither unlocked nor modified in any other way.

Second I would advise you boot into recovery and select boot into bootloader* (if you have installed one) or connect your T to your PC and boot into flashmode (power+vol.down I guess) as it might charges in there. The recovery worked for me, flashmode should work, but I never tried.

Finally I guess chances are good, that your device works totally normal if it gets charged again (just don't let it run out of energy again )

btw. does the Xperia T normally charge while it's powered off? Anyone has send his phone back on warranty because of charging problems?

good luck to you,

wk

*I am using this 4.3 rom (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2647459) atm, as I have root there. But the recovery is really buggy right now so it just restarts all the time. I'm not quite sure where the "boot into bootloader" option gets you ( never heard, that you could boot into bootloader on an xperia device) but the LED shines blue and the T charges and that's important right?
The Following User Says Thank You to wallnusskaese For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KalST
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah, my T would sometimes do that when the battery completely drained. I'd have to hold the button for a few minutes while the red light was on until it booted and started charging autonomously.

Now that doesn't work. It doesn't charge when it's off and when I connect it to the charger and turn it on, it restarts. Eventually though the battery drains completely and the old trick works again, but even when it manages to boot to the lock screen, it shows 0% battery again and restarts.

I've tried turning it on while holding the power+down button and charging. The green light came on and disappeared but it started rebooting again. Same with connecting it to my PC.

herokickxx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can you remove the battery?
Same thing happens to mine,and i just remove battery,plug it without battery,it starts,then put the battery back on.
And it charges fine.

Sent from my Arc S using Tapatalk 2

KalST
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by herokickxx View Post
Can you remove the battery?
Same thing happens to mine,and i just remove battery,plug it without battery,it starts,then put the battery back on.
And it charges fine.

But the battery is inbuilt, no? Would I have to disassemble it?

thedisturbedone
Old
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalST View Post
But the battery is inbuilt, no? Would I have to disassemble it?
So I think you are facing the same issue as mine... the phone has no time to charge. So what I did was flash an OmniRom with only the SystemUI apk and launcher apk. The intention was to make the boot time shorter so that the battery will not go down by the time it boots. But it ended up causing a bootloop: it was constantly stuck in the bootanimation. And it does charge during the bootanimation. So I let it be like that for about 30 minutes, rebooted to recovery and flashed the stock rom. And all my data was safe. This is more like a fluke so try it and maybe it would work.

If you can disassemble it, then yes, you can do the battery thing. There is just one screw under the SIM flap. I didn't do it because my screw driver kit was borrowed.
Samsung Galaxy Ace | Sony Xperia T

KalST
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The battery trick worked! Now it discharges really fast though.

5% in less than 5 minutes...

herokickxx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalST View Post
The battery trick worked! Now it discharges really fast though.

5% in less than 5 minutes...
Try recalibrating

kxf41
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by herokickxx View Post
Try recalibrating

How do u recalibrate the battery?